hops and yeast, expired

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruno Braga

Reaction score
Hello friends,
I have some inputs that have expired, I have a large amount of hops and yeast, I would like to know any tips on what to do with these expired inputs?

I'm reluctant to throw it in the trash, I think of some way out that will generate some benefit for me, whether financial or otherwise.

I'm thinking of taking the hops to the farm and using them as compost or mulch for plants...

I thought about selling the yeast to people interested in producing co² in the aquarium, they even ferment but the package is compromised to produce beer. impossible to produce beer with them.

I wanted some suggestions

I think there are two factors in play here
1. How “expired” are they?
2. How have they been stored?

Both yeast & hops can be used quite a bit later than the expiry if they have been stored properly (ideally hops frozen, yeast stored in the fridge).

For yeast you can alway kick it of with a starter and see if its still viable, if its not viable it can be used as yeast nutrient in the boil.

For hops, if stored properly use you senses, if they smell alright use them (and perhaps calculate with lower IBU contribution)

Check the hops. Do they smell ok? If so, they can be kept a while if stored properly. Do you have a vacuum sealer? Vac seal the hops and store in the freezer.

For the yeast (liquid or dry?) if the package has been compromised it wouldn't be wise to brew with it--too much chance for contamination. You could use it to make bread, or let kids use it for a science experiment.

If it is liquid yeast, you can add it to compost or throw it away. Expired liquid yeast doesn't last very long.

If it is dried yeast, it will last for many years past the expiration date. Perfectly good for years.

Hops that no longer smell great can still be used for bittering. They lose a little alpha acid but generally are still pretty good for bittering, as long as they are kept in refrigeration. If not refrigerated, use them soon or throw them into compost.

Back