Making Love in a Canoe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got off-flavor spike kits from Siebel and will be setting up tasting/training. What should I use for the base beer? Unless I'm mistaken or forgetting, I think all the times I've done this myself, the choice was Miller Lite, and it always struck me as kind of strong and nasty-tasting for this purpose. Google suggests Busch Lite and Kirin Light as reasonable tasteless, but I'm not sure I've had either; or, if I have, it's been decades.

So ... what tastes like completely generic beer and nothing else?

Michelob Ultra or any of the "~2.6g of carbs / 95 calorie" beers as they've been reduced with enzymes and won't have any left over adjunct flavors.

Michelob Ultra or any of the "~2.6g of carbs / 95 calorie" beers as they've been reduced with enzymes and won't have any left over adjunct flavors.
I don't perceive these as beer anymore, I wouldn't recommend them.

Kirin ichiban is a great beer. It's generic, it is clean, it is crisp, it is not bitter, it is as close to perfect as it gets if you want something that everybody can enjoy.

i couldnt agree more.
i popped open a can of some light beer the other day and swore it didn't taste anything like beer . it tasted kind of seltzery with a little alcohol flavor. absolutely no malt or hop. reminded me like zima from the 90's but not as sweet.
i also had a kirin on tap not to long ago and was surprised how decent it was. very crisp clean and drinkable with a light maltiness. almost no discernable hops tho. but it was a good bowling alley beer. ( i was in a bowling alley- lol)
michelob ultra doesnt taste like nothing it has a distinct aftertaste - and its not a pleasant one.

Buying the beer today. I'm considering making a trip to Costco, where I think they have Stella, Modelo Especial, and Warsteiner for domestic-macro-light-beer prices. What do you think ... still too much flavor? Modelo actually seems like it might work, provided it's in cans. It's been many years since I've had the other two.

Google suggests Busch Lite and Kirin Light as reasonable tasteless, but I'm not sure I've had either; or, if I have, it's been decades.
Ice cold Busch can be amazingly refreshing on a hot day after a lot of exertion. I've described it as lightly beer-flavored water. Busch Lite I would expect to be similar, but without the beer flavor.

Back