Hopful hop grower Setup and question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunde77

Reaction score
Hello,

So this year I am going to attempt hops. I think I may have went overboard with my order. I ordered the following:

4 Nugget
4 Cascades
2 Chinook
2 Sterling

I am going to attempt to grow 4 of these guys at home in my garden (plan on making a hop fence with these). The guys are planted at the corners of my garden. I will make a twine fence around the garden about 5 ft high and train them to grow horizontally.

The rest are going out to my deer hunting land. I have a cleared out space where I am growing black berries and blue berries and hops. Here I have the rest of the 10 hops. I have two trees scouted out that I am going to put a thick rope between. I am going to use this rope as a permenant horizontal brace and run vertical ropes or twine over this guy and back down to the ground. I think I can get this guy up a good 25 ft. I plan on staking down the rope on the other side so that I can just unstake this and pull down for harvest.

My question is this:

What order should I expect these guys to break ground?

I planted the nugget and cascades at home last week weds. The Nuggets were up on Monday. Still no sign of the Cascades. The other 10 were planted yesterday.

Any comments or suggestions would be great!

so for the home ones I planted 2 nugget and 2 cascades. The

I have two trees scouted out that I am going to put a thick rope between. I am going to use this rope as a permenant horizontal brace and run vertical ropes or twine over this guy and back down to the ground. I think I can get this guy up a good 25 ft. I plan on staking down the rope on the other side so that I can just unstake this and pull down for harvest.
depending on the age/size/thickness of the trees, remember that that may sway in the wind. leave some slack on the line to allow for some movement. the other option is make one end a weight hanging in mid-air. as the trees sway, they will raise & lower the weighted end.

I have Nugget, Tettenanger, Hallertau and Cascade. Nugget is the champion, it grows fast and I harvest it first. The others coming after the Nugget. Nugget seems to really like my soil.

I have Nugget, Tettenanger, Hallertau and Cascade. Nugget is the champion, it grows fast and I harvest it first. The others coming after the Nugget. Nugget seems to really like my soil.

I was hoping someone would say this. I can't wait to see these guys growing. How long does it usually take for new rhizomes to break ground? I was surprised how quick the nuggets broke ground.

Hops grow like fungus so give it a few years. Once they establish themselves, you can't stop 'em - they're everywhere! I have them popping up 10 yards from where I originally planted them & have to cut them back. Plant them & water them the first few eyars & then you can let them go...they'll take care of themselves, believe me!

I was hoping someone would say this. I can't wait to see these guys growing. How long does it usually take for new rhizomes to break ground? I was surprised how quick the nuggets broke ground.

Ditto on the Nugs. I planted Columbus, Mt. Hood, Nugget, Sterling, and Williamette. Nugget came up days before any of the others. Mt. Hood came out later and has actually grown larger than the Nugget. Williamette is still a no show after 3 weeks. I dug into the hill and it has eyes, but I guess it isn't warm enough for it yet...

I do have to follow up on this post. I now have my cascades popping out of the ground. The nuggets poped up with one "plant" or bine. The cascades have several (3 or 4). I cant wait till these guys get big. I realize next year will be better and hopefull I will get a bit of a harvest from these guys.

give i time. i planted in march and theyre now just popping up due to the cold. each plant (all of mine except the chinook) is sprouting up with close to a half dozen mini bines each

Ok all I have some pictures of my hops in my garden at home. I hope to have some of the ones out in my 80 acers soon. The first two are Nuggets, one is growning better than the other. The next two are my Cascades. These guys are behind the nuggets but I figure they wil all be ok. The last picture is of my garden. I have the hops planted in the corners of the garden. I have a fence posts that stick up 5 ft or so that I plan on using rope or twine on to allow the hops some room to grow. The bed is 16ft by 16 ft. I hope to have enough room for these guys. Let me know your thoughts.

2012-05-14_12-20-37_831.jpg

2012-05-14_12-20-53_293.jpg

2012-05-14_12-21-04_851.jpg

2012-05-14_12-21-19_258.jpg

2012-05-14_12-21-42_936.jpg

All my varieties are already growing like mad (Cascade, Liberty & Willamette). Each is at least 10 ft high & climbing daily. Insane!

We haven't had the hot weather here yet. I am hoping these guys will take off over the next few weeks. (I am sure of it). Next year will be the big year.

Very nice! My Chinook is the champion at over 8 ft (crowning already on the lattice) Cascade is second and the poor little fuggle plant is just not suited to this region...

I really need to go take more photos

So I went out to look athte hops at the 80 acres today. I have two of the ten doing real well, no signs of anything from the others. So, I did some digging and they still appear to be alive. There are some new shoots comming off the rhizomes. So i stuck em back in the ground, just did put them in so deep. I hope to see some green sprouts later this week.

Checked the hops today & they are flowering! Siked - seems early but I'll probably get a few harvests this season.....

here are my first year plants... i kinda did what you were saying for the hunting land...

i ran #9 grape wire between 2 trees and threw hemp rope up over it and staked it...these are cascades

20120528_110037.jpg

Nice setup! Here is my update: the two cascades and two nuggets at game are doing great! I had 10 planted at the 80 acre, only two sterling came came up. I think that I planted these too deep/let the rhizomes dry out too much. I ordered 4 more plants. I plan on getting this guys out there as soon as I can when they come in. I probably have way too many plants, but I plan on sharing my harvest in future years.

Back