HopBox - Practical or another homebrew scheme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnyhitch1

Reaction score
*I would post the link here but i dont want to seem like im advertising for them, plus HBT has a rule against posting kickstarters*

HopBox just started there kickstarter yesterday and has already reached over 65K in just under 36 hours with a goal of only 45K

Very interesting design and they will make great money for what they charge...

but is this practical??

Looks like small batch brewing stuff with a fancy wood box? I don't get the appeal, unless this is some new hipster brewing nonsense.

The box looks nice...

As far as practicality, well, it's not something I would use to brew with.

It seems more like a decoration than a piece of brewing equipment. I guess it could hold your small batch brewing gear between uses, but if any of it was in actual use I don't see the box as the best place to keep everything.

Yeah, that's a nice looking drawer, but I don't see how it makes beer. And I really don't get why so many people are interested in it.

I like wood furniture and decorations, but I don't really see the usefulness of this. It's probably the most expensive 1 gallon brewing kit I've ever seen. Even still I'd probably rather have something made from hardwood instead of pine. If you want to sell some wood products to homebrewers make a mash paddle, tap handles, chalkboard frame, beer flight holder, even something like a custom brewery name plaque. Not some tchotchke box with some holes cut in it. It looks like something you'd put over your mantle to show people you are a homebrewer. If I want to show people I'm a homebrewer I just give them a beer.

I don't get it. It's just an expensive/fancy 1 gal kit in a wooden box? How does that generate $65k of interest? I'm not understanding this.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

WTF?
HahahahaHahahaha HahahahaHahahaha HahahahaHahahaha HahahahaHahahaha HahahahaHahahaha HahahahaHahahaha HahahahaHahahaha HahahahaHahahaha HahahahaHahahaha HahahahaHahahaha

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

Want to bump this just because I think it's so stupid. My going theory is that a couple hundred rich yuppie types are contributing to this kickstarter thinking they'll get something that makes beer for them. One question raised by a supporter is how their kit controls fermentation temp... He doesn't realize it's just a fancy pine drawer with some glass bottles and standard brewing gear.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Looks expensive, but couldn't see any prices (just pledge levels).

Looks impractical. More like something someone would keep for show rather than use.

.......... and only gallon batches.

Checking the FAQs it says you can have a batch ready in 2 weeks; that from pitching yeast to having a carbonated bottle.

I have flannel shirts too. Should I be selling useless crap for way too much money? Or do I just run heavy equipment, fight wild land fire and cut down trees with chainsaws. Oh wait, I actually work in the woods. Nevermind. No useless crap for sale here... :D

Does it even come with a pot to, ya know, brew in?

Christ almighty, not only does it NOT come with a pot, but one of the FAQs on their website asks "does this kit come with everything I need to get started?" ... And their answer is "Absolutely..." With no mention at all of the need for a kettle.

Sorry, but this is the dumbest thing I've seen since I started home brewing.

To be fair, many people have a one gallon pot already to use. But still...

Christ almighty, not only does it NOT come with a pot, but one of the FAQs on their website asks "does this kit come with everything I need to get started?" ... And their answer is "Absolutely..." With no mention at all of the need for a kettle.

Sorry, but this is the dumbest thing I've seen since I started home brewing.

Sure, just dump LME in with some warm tap water, add yeast! You'll have some LME left over with such a small batch, but that can be stored open in the drawer. What a convenient and marvelous invention.

FINALLY,I can brew good beer just like they were doing before all this pure culture stuff... sour, infected, and fusal filled. I'm so glad it includes EVERYTHING I need to get started!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

Here's a list of what comes in the kit. Prices for items from Northern Brewer.

4.99 1 gallon fermenter
15.00 8 16oz bottles
6.99 hydrometer
3.99 hydrometer test jar
9.99 auto siphon
2.99 2" funnel
1.49 stopper
1.29 3 piece airlock
6.99 Laboratory Thermometer
1.72 4' 3/8 tubing
1.00 miscellaneous jar
recipe book
brewers' log
full set of instructions
12.49 1 gallon recipe kit
83.09 Hop Box
7.99 Shipping
160.00 Total

Sure it looks good but... with no temp control, clear fermenters and blue glass bottles.... this should be marketed as a kit to produce nasty, off flavored beers.
Everything about the EQUIPMENT in this kit is geared to brewer disappointment!

Someone should put up a kick starter in 6 months with a real home brew kit to sell to the poor suckers who bought into this eye candy!!!

from their FAQ:

After carbonating for about 3-5 days in bottles, it will be ready to drink. From start to finish, brewing a batch of beer takes about 2 weeks, but can be even less if you’re in a hurry! It’s easy and fun to do.

great advice guys!

Here's a list of what comes in the kit.

4.99 1 gallon fermenter
15.00 8 16oz bottles
6.99 hydrometer
3.99 hydrometer test jar
9.99 auto siphon
2.99 2" funnel
1.49 stopper
1.29 3 piece airlock
1.72 4' 3/8 tubing
1.00 miscellaneous jar
recipe book
brewers' log
full set of instructions
83.09 Hop Box
7.99 Shipping
160.00 Total

Bah, hahaha!

It's really a shame that they could get this for less and buy a ~20quart pot for the same total price...

7607_2.jpg

What still baffles me is how they are going to market with a product which has no demand in the marketplace (no brewers out there wishing they had a nice pine box to store their gear in), clearly have no expertise in the field of homebrewing (bottle after 3-5 days?) and STILL are making a killing on Kickstarter. I mean, good for them, finding a way to get people to send them money. But when people order their kits, find they still need extra equipment to make beer and all of their bottles explode after two weeks, I am guessing they won't have many repeat customers.

I still can't wrap my head around the box. It's just a box with some holes in it and a drawer. The whole selling point for this thing is supposed to be that it's a wooden box, right? I've never looked at my carboys and thought to myself "gee I wish I had a box without handles to put this in" and I've never looked at my bottles thinking "man I can't remember how many bottles I have so I need to put them in a wooden box with holes to keep track of them." My bottles are either in cardboard carry boxes, a refrigerator, or soaking in a sink. Why would I need a box with holes in it to just hold bottles?

FastRack came up with a good solution to drying beer bottles. Even though there were other solutions out there, they still provided something innovative:
X_White-Rack-Tray_450xx301.jpg

Even the CW crates provided something useful. It's like having a cardboard beer case, but it's made of plastic so it's more durable and waterproof. Those carboy haulers? Useful, because those things get heavy and you don't want them to break.

If you're going to integrate your hobby (like woodworking and homebrewing) do something useful, like a clever way to carry and display your growlers:
178320-kegworks-growler-carrier-2-B1.jpg

...or a useful and unique way to bring a six-pack to a party:
url

Here's a list of what comes in the kit. Prices for items from Northern Brewer.

4.99 1 gallon fermenter
15.00 8 16oz bottles
6.99 hydrometer
3.99 hydrometer test jar
9.99 auto siphon
2.99 2" funnel
1.49 stopper
1.29 3 piece airlock
1.72 4' 3/8 tubing
1.00 miscellaneous jar
recipe book
brewers' log
full set of instructions
83.09 Hop Box
7.99 Shipping
160.00 Total

from their FAQ:

After carbonating for about 3-5 days in bottles, it will be ready to drink. From start to finish, brewing a batch of beer takes about 2 weeks, but can be even less if you’re in a hurry! It’s easy and fun to do.

great advice guys!

The bad advice must be what that other $80 is buying you.

WOW! this is amazing. Come on! Now a bunch of people will be brewing 1 gallon batches in 2 weeks realize it sucks, then claim home brewed beer is awful. Not good for the hobby.

Guess I can't get enough of this crap...

Looks like these guys just stole an idea from a winemaking kit maker http://sabinemarcelis.com/work/house-wine/

And better yet she called them out on their Facebook page.

Haha this just keeps getting better. At least her little health potion balls look cooler than a re-packaged 1 gallon homebrew kit. I can't say that I've seen anyone brew wine in those before.
detailsmall.jpg

It looks like something you put on a coffee table for when you expect guests over. "Hey...what's that? "It's my HopBox brew kit. I make my own beer." "Cool! Can I try one one?"

I'll bet they only have one drink....

I've attempted to leave some critical feedback on their facebook page, but mysteriously those posts never show up or get deleted...

I think it's a nice looking, practically artistic, small brewing system. There could be a couple of minor issues with producing quality beer, but I think they would be easily taken care of.

So rather than bashing this thing, why not ask some questions about how it works and try to think of ways to overcome the expected issues, rather than just call it names ridicule it?

For instance, there is no temperature control. So? It's small enough to fit in a cool corner like some people do already. Maybe inside a cooler with some frozen pop bottles just like some people do already.

Small enough to place on a small table or shelf. Mostly self-contained. Actually very nice-looking. It's got a lot going for it for some brewers, I think even brewers who know how to brew good beer.

Are there any other possible issues?

Back