Hop trellis disaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DragonTail

Reaction score
We had a big storm come through Monday night that wiped out a few trees, but more importatnly my hop trellis. I was able to get the crossbar, where the majority of the flowering parts of my vines are, attached to what is left of the uprights. A good part of the actual vines are still on the ground though. I can not completely rebuild untill after harvest. Will things still be ok, or should I try to get the vines up off the ground also?

Wow, you live close to me...I live in Burlington. And that was a rough storm...some damaging winds...

Wonder if you could tie the vines and hoist em up best you can.

If the flowering sections are off the ground, you should be ok. Vines touching the ground have been known to put out roots.

just a matter of pointless detail. hops (humulus lupulus) are bines, not vines. slight difference. basic difference is vines put out tendrils that twine around things that it 'grabs'. bines on the other hand do not have the tendrils, and instead have downward facing hairs that 'feel' whatever it is touching, and the bine itself twines (twists) around what it feels.

gnef said:
just a matter of pointless detail. hops (humulus lupulus) are bines, not vines. slight difference. basic difference is vines put out tendrils that twine around things that it 'grabs'. bines on the other hand do not have the tendrils, and instead have downward facing hairs that 'feel' whatever it is touching, and the bine itself twines (twists) around what it feels.

I used to have a girlfriend like that.

Back