Hop Sludge Straining

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poislb

Reaction score
Okay, the last few batches were pretty heavily hopped...Nothing i seemed to do would strain my hops from my kettle (anything easily anyway) and just deceided to dump everything into my carboy. Was wondering if this idea would work since i use carboys as fermentors.

Get a 5-6 gallon pail, buy a nylon strainer bag. Put the whole bag inside the bucket (like putting a garbage bag into a garbage can), then pour my wort in. Once the wort is poured, remove the bag and all the hop sludge should be in the bag correct. Then from the bucket, pour my wort into my carboy for fermentation.

That works fine. I have a nylon bag attached to a 6" coupling with a hole drilled in it with a piece of copper pipe shoved through to hold it above my pot while boiling and then pull it out at end of boil.

I have a valve in my kettle, so I usually put a stainless steel strainer between the valve and the fermenter to cartch most of the hops sludge. The strainer is a bit coarser than the bag, so it does ot clog up as quickly.

I usually always dump everything and and forget about it. Until recently I started playing with a CFC and I started using a hop spider. What I noticed is that the beer clears (chill haze) about a week faster. Other than that it was completely unremarkable.

This slightly effected me as I force carb, so I'm drinking my beer before stuff naturally falls out, but if you properly bottle condition/natural carb I don't see it as an issue from personal experience.

I've been using the nylon hop bags for my brews so far. I'm actually making a hop spider now (waiting for some threaded rod to arrive). I expect to have it ready before my next batch is brewed.

I especially want the spider for when I hop burst again. 5oz of hops in bags was a bit much. This way, it's all in one bag, and easier to add more hops to the brew. :rockin:

Back