Hop selection for Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snarf7

Reaction score
I'm brewing a french saison this weekend and trying to figure out what I want to do with my hops. I'd like to stay at least semi-traditional but I don't have much in the way of noble hops on hand (a little bit of saaz but not enough for the full boil). I do have Mt Hood (a Hallertau descendent) and a good amount of Sterling (Saaz descendent) I grew last year. Wondering which might be the better option (or both) and which might work better as a late addition in this style.

Really, I think both sound good. I really don't understand how to pair hops, so I usually keep it simple. If it we're me, I'd go with the Sterling, but I don't think you could go wrong with Mt. Hood.

Edit: In American Sour Beers, there's a recipe listed with Mt. Hood and Sterling paired, so someone has done it before!

I wound up going

Sterling @ 60
Saaz + Lemondrop @ 15
Lemondrop -whirpool

I'm trying to capture sort of a lemon pepper kinda vibe, but with a Saison you wanna let the yeast shine so I stayed restrained on the hops... we'll see if it works out

Back