hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulyWantsABeer

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Which hop is a good compliment to Cluster?

I need some suggestions because I'm working on a new recipe.

Almost anything. Clusters don't have a real pronounced aroma, but has a somewhat spicy quality. Best used as a bittering hop. I've used them with Fuggles and Goldings with good success. I think they could also be paired nicely with Pacifica or Pacific Jade.

Thanks for the reply. I am planning a recipe for a new Pale Ale and I want to use Cluster as the main hop. I'm just trying to figure out what else to pair with it.

I can't decide. These are the ones I'm interested in using.

Fuggle
Ahtanum
Palisade
Sterling
Tettnang

I'm leading towards Ahtanum because it has a citrus, floral, and pine aroma which I think will go well with the spiciness of the Cluster. What do you all think?

I think Sterling or Antanum would compliment it nicely. Both would give a nice citrus aroma, with Antanum being slightly more potent. However, Sterling would give a nice spicy characteristic wild a little more mild citrus. Cheers :mug:

Hmm....perhaps I can use both Ahtanum and Sterling. Add one at 15min and the other at 5min?

Look at the following hop schedules and tell me which is best please. I can't decide.

.5 Cluster @ 60 min
.5 Cluster @ 15 min
1 Ahtanum @ 10 min
1 Cluster @ 5 min
1 Sterling @ 5 min

.5 Cluster @ 60 min
.5 Ahtanum @ 20 min
1 Sterling @ 10 min
.5 Ahtanum @ 10 min
1 Cluster @ 0 min

.5 Cluster @ 60 min
.5 Cluster @ 20 min
.5 Ahtanum @ 10 min
1 Sterling @ 10 min

.5 Cluster @ 60 min
.5 Cluster @ 30 min
1 Cluster @ 20 min
1 Ahtanum @ 10 min
1 Sterling @ 5 min

1 Cluster @ 60 min
1 Cluster @ 15 min
1 Ahtanum @ 10 min
1 Sterling @ 5 min

.5 Cluster @ 60 min
.5 Cluster @ 20 min
1 Sterling @ 10 min
1 Ahtanum @ 10 min
1 Sterling @ 5 min
1 Cluster @ 0 min

+1 on #5. If I could suggest, substitute Ahtanum for the second Cluster addition.

If you sub in the Ahtanum there then you're going to lose the Cluster flavor/aroma I assume you wanted when you started out this thread! Ahtanum is good in APAs though....

If you sub in the Ahtanum there then you're going to lose the Cluster flavor/aroma I assume you wanted when you started out this thread! Ahtanum is good in APAs though....

Yes, correct. I want the Cluster flavor/aroma with the Ahtanum and Sterling as secondary. This will be for an APA. :mug:

1 Cluster @ 60 min
1 Cluster @ 20 min
1 Ahtanum @ 10 min
1 Sterling @ 5 min

I plugged the numbers into my Brew program and I'm getting 44.7 IBU which is at the top of the range for an APA.

Looks good so far, but I would toss in an ounce of the Cluster and 1/2 oz each of the Ahtanum and Sterling for dry hops. That should help the noise pop and really highlight those tasty hops.

Looks good so far, but I would toss in an ounce of the Cluster and 1/2 oz each of the Ahtanum and Sterling for dry hops. That should help the noise pop and really highlight those tasty hops.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll plan on it. :)

Latest posts

Back