Hop plant is going bad :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axito11

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm growing cascade in two 50 liter pots and they were growing fast and fine, but now they got something. Leaves are starting to show white dots and decoloration, here are some pictures. Any ideas of what it might have and how to fight it? Thank you! ALSO, leaves are growing with only one "point" instead of three, is this because it's sick? Thanks again!!
1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg
4.jpeg

Attachments

• 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    96.5 KB · Views: 14
You've got to be growing those inside, right? You may be overwatering.

You've got to be growing those inside, right? You may be overwatering.

Yes, I have them inside next to a window that's almost permanently open as I don't have an open space. I was thinking it might be overwatering or maybe Pseudoperonospora humuli

it looks like overwatering to me. any idea how much/often you're watering?

it looks like overwatering to me. any idea how much/often you're watering?

Approximately 1.5lts every three days. Now it's been like 5 days without watering them, so I guess I should wait another couple of days before watering again?

Thank you!

you want the soil to be moist but not soaking or pooling at the bottom. you're environmental conditions will have to guide you.

How good is the soil in those pots? Try adding some compost and/or humus soil, plus a handful of Milorganite. Hops LOVE nitrogen, they can't get enough of it.

Single points on the leaves is normal on the first leaves. They'll split out into three the taller it gets.

How good is the soil in those pots? Try adding some compost and/or humus soil, plus a handful of Milorganite. Hops LOVE nitrogen, they can't get enough of it.

Single points on the leaves is normal on the first leaves. They'll split out into three the taller it gets.

It's almost 100% compost, since I've been composting for ages now. I'll try to get that Milorganite, thanks for the information!

If you can't find Milorganite (I know it is damn near impossible during the spring and summer), Menards and Lowes carry house brand organics that are meant to compete with Milorganite. Here is a link to Lowes' version:

Lowes Procare 4-3-0 Fertilizer

Thanks for the info.

Nice thing about these low-number slow-release fertilizers is that you can literally use handfuls of them in a small area and they won't cause chemical burns to your plants, i.e., you can't really over-fertilize, or it would take a LOT.

Absolutely! I have seen people "burn" their lawns with it, but it is typically because the spreader tipped over and dumped a huge pile in the lawn. They are about as safe and easy as it can get.

I am not sure of the specific nutrient requirements for hops, but I do know that over time using the same fertilizer in a lawn can be detrimental as it allows the nutrients to build up/compounds the deficiencies. For example, all these Milorganite clones lack potassium. Here is an organic alternative that has potassium, but lacks phosphorus.

Purely Organic Lawn Food

Back