Hop particles in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gratefuldisc

Reaction score
So I dry hopped an IPA with pellets (never do that again) and now have the beer carbed and chilled in the kegerator. Even with careful racking I am getting a lot of hop matter in every pour. I really don't care myself, but I plan on serving to non-homebrew drinkers at a x-mas party next weekend. Is there any way to knock down the hop particles so I can pour clear beer? Gelatin maybe?

thanks yooper, how long sitting do you think? Its been about 48 hours and I'm still getting hop matter out... should I RDWHAHB or take some action so I can confidently serve in 5 days?

BTW its your 60min clone recipe but I played with the hops to suit my citrus tastes... brewed twice now and its awesome!

I did that once and ended up transferring it from one keg into another one. This time I put a hop bag over the outlet of the racking cane which filtered out the remaining hops.

I did that because there was a bunch of hops (they must have been suspended in the beer).

Good luck and if you do the hop bag method, don't forget to sanitize it.

I dry hopped in the keg too using tea balls. It's been sitting untouched for several weeks, but I still get hop particles in every pour. It's not the most pleasant thing in the world.

Edit: Also, no extra kegs to transfer to.

Any other ideas besides waiting?

As recommended in the chat, and posted here for everyone else:
1. Cold crash - drop the temp as low as you dare without freezing the beer (pure water freezes at 32F, beer a little below that).
2. Gelatine - this won't likely help to precipitate out the hop particles, but once the heavier gelatin settles to the bottom you will likely trap a lot of the hop material with it.
3. Use only plug or leaf hops for dry hopping in a keg from now on :)

3. Use only plug or leaf hops for dry hopping in a keg from now on :)

I specifically purchased leaf hops for dry hopping, whether it be in the keg or the primary for this exact reason.

thesanch poured me a glass the other day when he was "lending" me some yeast, and the hop particulate wasn't too bad, but I can understand if he wants his beer to be crystal clear.

:off:Thanks again for the yeast, dude!

It was very much worse when I originally responded to this thread. Now, I agree it's not too bad, but still annoying.

Back