Hop modifications for full boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrij4

Reaction score
For the longest time I couldn't figure out why all my beers were too bitter then I came across the full boil hop utilization issue. So, if I'm doing a full boil, is there a consistent equation that I can use to adjust my hop additions? Also, I'm assuming that the effect diminishes for later hop additions as they spend less time exposed to the larger wort volume.

Thanks I advance!

Depending on what your brewing usually you have a 60 min boil hop and possible late hop additions. The later you add the hops the more flavor/aroma you'll get.

I think you are asking if you use a less amount of hops when doing a full boil.
I recently moved to full boils and have not adjusted the hops amount at all, and I cant tell a difference.

Bitterness is a lot about perception. You may perceive a higher level of bitterness than someone else. If your beers are too bitter, then use less hops. The full boil hop utilization issue has largely been discredited.

Unless you're talking about how larger batches of beer will result in lower hop utilization, but we're talking about batches on a commercial scale, not a homebrew one.

I noticed the same thing when I switched to full boil. I never adjusted additions, since I found out about it after my last full boil, but there are a few threads here that discuss the amount you need to reduce the 60 minute addition (and other additions). There are also a couple of ibu calculators on line that will help with conversion.

Wow, I ran my last recipe through the Brewer's Friend calculator and simply switching from a 3gal boil to a full boil nearly doubled the IBU! Thanks for the tip.

harrij4 said:
Wow, I ran my last recipe through the Brewer's Friend calculator and simply switching from a 3gal boil to a full boil nearly doubled the IBU! Thanks for the tip.

Sounds about right. I always do full boil, cause I brew all extract ATM.

harrij4 said:

Seriously? I would only expect that much of a change if it's a 3 gallon BATCH vs a 5.25 gallon batch. Not a boil brought up to volume.

Seriously? I would only expect that much of a change if it's a 3 gallon BATCH vs a 5.25 gallon batch. Not a boil brought up to volume.

Actually, the reverse is true. If you're doing a partial boil, ending with 2.5 gallons of wort, and top up with 2.5 gallons of water- you're halving the IBUs.

For example, say you have a 3 gallon boil, and end up with 2 gallons of wort, and that wort is 50 IBUs. If you add 3 gallons of water to top up the fermenter, you have 2 gallons of 50 IBUs plus 3 gallons of 0 IBUs- so you end up with 5 gallons of wort at 20 IBUs! It makes a big difference in some beers. It wouldn't matter much in a cream ale, for example, but it would make a huge difference in an IPA or an APA.

If you're boiling 2.5 gallons for a 3 gallon batch, and only topping up .5 gallons (only 16% water added) the IBUs wouldn't drop much at all.

Right... My problem was that I was following get the extract kit recipes, which assume a partial boil + top-off, but I was using a full boil so my beers were all way too bitter.

Latest posts

Back