Hop leaves getting very full of holes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TyTanium said:
This is a real issue. Also causes all kinds of environmental problems - it's single biggest cause of loss of arable soil. Not sure why the Occupy movement doesn't protest this stuff.

Should we put and end to women's suffrage too, or just combat one problem at a time?

I grew tobacco last year, it is one wierd plant.

The sprout for this goliath of a plant starts out too small to see and grows fast. Looks unnatural.

The plant is kind of oily and your skin smells of it if you touch it.

I get it, cobra venom is "organic" but not the best thing for you.

Just to be clear, steeped tobacco water is worse for you than most pesticides?

I think we agree that it's safe to use nicotine in the garden. I was arguing to just put on some long sleeves and go for it, which I think you also agreed with. Why poppycock?

This is actually the part we disagree on. I was writing in favor of "nuking", arguing that sometimes it's okay to do so, just like it's sometimes okay to "nuke" your gut microflora with an antibiotic when you have a severe problem.

I apologize, I get too bent up over work things and come across too negative on here.

It's just you don't need sleeves for safety. For aesthetics, sure. Keep from stains and smell, but safety...no.

If you have terrible infestations I am all in favor of nuking...but in general little problems demand little control, big ones, big control. In a controlled environment (such as a greenhouse) or outbreak problems, I think nuking is good to cya. I would tend to gravitate more towards nicotine type organic solutions, more so than chemical solutions, myself, but if it works for you and you like it do it.

There are tons of very effective things you can mix in your kitchen using tobacco, oils, citrus acids, garlic, chile peppers..

Once again I apologize for coming off combative. The nicotine thing just grates my gears. Indians used it and neem for a long time. Neem oil is fantastic, DE is another nuke solution that is good when consumed (even more effective when mixed with chiles (repels as well as kills).

Another thing that many people don't think of is companion planting.

Marigolds, garlic, asparagus even, there are many companion plants that will:

A.) draw desirable bugs and predatory bugs
B.) repel unwanted bugs

I have eggplants scattered throughout my peppers, (they do well with peppers), the eggplants are riddled with holes as they attract insects away from the peppers.

Garlic keeps away a whole host of baddies.

I grew tobacco last year, it is one wierd plant.

The sprout for this goliath of a plant starts out too small to see and grows fast. Looks unnatural.

The plant is kind of oily and your skin smells of it if you touch it.

I get it, cobra venom is "organic" but not the best thing for you.

Just to be clear, steeped tobacco water is worse for you than most pesticides?

Most people confuse the idea of TMZ which came about the tobacco mosaic virus, and could infect tomatoes, later studies showed no presence in natural tobacco, but only in butts and not even in cigars.

Nicotine Sulfate is very dangerous, but not the same as what you get in nicotine tea. Also the concentration level in a spray is far below what someone gets smoking.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it retains its toxicity for only a few hours after spraying.

When swallowed in concentrated amounts it is very dangerous, but if you make it, you A) wouldn't use that concentrated of an amount B) Probably don't plan on gulping it down

Most of the people concerned with the danger of it, are affected by a large anti-tobacco lobby, that is in quite well with the health and "organic" crowd. There are other things you can use, but as a nuclear option Nicotine is exceptionally effective, if you mix it with lemon juice it doesn't smell so bad either.

Nicotine Sulfate you can purchase and it is much more concentrated, even so you would prep to a level much lower than old commercial uses, and use it effectively, spray your body with it all over and at worst increase your blood pressure a bit, but yeah if you take concentrate make a concentrated batch of it and drink a glass, your nervous system may go bonkers and you might die.

Kind of the same reason you don't drink a fifth of PGA shine.

WELL....lol.

So, steep cigar butts, a 1/2 pouch of pipe tobacco, or whatever form of tobacco you have access to, with 1/2 cup mouthwash, 1 tbsp cayenne, 1 gallon water.

Spray in the evening after sun is going down.

If you use the tobacco, I would use about 1 cup of tobacco per 1 gallon of water, let it steep in the water for 24 hours, and it should have a light dark shade about like a tea. If it is too dark, dilute it down a bit more. TMV used to be a concern but hasn't been for quite a while. If possible I would recommend pipe tobacco instead of butts, I wouldn't recommend butts (although they would likely work fine, I just don't like including extra chemicals).

Alternatively you can do a garlic pepper spray something like:

1 garlic bulb

1 quart of water

1 medium onion

1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper

1 tablespoon liquid dish soap

You can also use DE as an alternative, coating plant leaves but reapply after heavy rains.

Or mix 2 parts DE with 1 part Cayenne, and mix in water.

I use organic liquid soap so it is free of phosphates, chlorine and other such things.

Back