hop harvest advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tator2k

Reaction score
I'm a first time hop farmer and I have 12 plants year.

Over the last 10 days or so my hop cones on some of my plants are getting ready to pick. The cones are filling out and texture feel of them is improving.

The question I have is some of my plants have smaller cones but they appear to be drying out with the edges slighting curling. Should I be ready to pick these or should I still wait longer?

I've already picked a few ounces off one of my Chinook plants that were showing around 2" cones near the top of the plant.

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

If the edges are curling, you should pick them. The best test is the simplest. Just flick a cone with your finger. It should snap off.

Chinooks produce very large cones and when ready, the "scales"of the cones really open up almost pointing laterally. For the most part, if the majority of the cones are ready the rest of the plant is ready for harvest. As soon after I harvest all the cones of a plant, only days later the plant starts to turn yellow as it gets ready for the off season.
Your hops look great and if the pics are of the Chinook, you might want to wait just a little longer(7-10 days). Just my $.02.

Back