Hop bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonlighter

Reaction score
I just brewed my 6th 5-gallon batch. My LHBS sells me stretchy knit bags for my hop additions. They're cheap so I figured "why not".

I realized yesterday I didn't have enough hop bags for my batch. So I opted to just dump the hops into the batch. At the end of the brewing I used a strainer with a handle (sanitized of course) to filter out the hops.

Now my questions: How many people use hop bags as opposed to simply dumping hops into the wort? Do people think they get better utilization of the hops are floating freely in the wort? Finally, is it ok to squeeze the liquid out of the boiled hops when straining them out?

I don't use hop bags, I just use cheese cloth, I've also put hop pellets straight into the boil with no difference. The only thing you have to watch out for is how many hop pellets you put in a bag. don't wrap them up too tight or put more than 1oz of hops in a bag. Too many could cause them to be under utilized.

For what it's worth, I've noticed that once the boil starts, the hops pellets turn to mush and maybe about half of it seeps out the bag into the boil anyways.

I started using bags too. Now, even for an IPA I just dump them in. Of course, that's with pellets. On the rare occasion I use leaf hops, I still have to use a bag. Otherwise the leafs cause havoc with my ball valves, hoses, etc.

I never use bags. I've found that my utilization goes down when using hop bags. They're left over with the trub in the bottom, so no worries.

Right now I'm using leaf hops so they float. But no real problem getting them out - nothing like the disaster i had dry hopping with leaf hops. And I'm not kegging so no clogging problems there.

That's an interesting observation about utilization. I thought I noticed increased bittering and flavor but I figured maybe I just wanted it to be that way.

I use hop bags.

I had problems with the ones I got at the LHBS being too small, and letting too much hop sludge (using pellet hops) out into the kettle, so I switched to 1 gallon paint strainer bags from home depot. They are much better. Cheaper as well.

I use hop sacks for any additions I may be doing,from hop pellets to zest & spices. I have a grain sack I'm going to use with the whole leaf Cascade hops I've got stashed in the freezer with some Czech Saaz.

I never used hops bags before, but now I have a "touchy" pump so I have to contain my leaf hops. I've been using a "hops spider", so that the hops are still loose in the wort, but not able to get through my diptube and clog up my March pump!

I'm a big believer in allowing the hops to be free in the wort- it increases hops utilization and is easy to whirlpool. If you have a false bottom or a strainer in the BK, the leaf hops also help to strain out cold/hot break. I just don't have a good system yet for the leaf hops, so I'm throwing them in the hops spider bag. It's much bigger than your average "hops bag", though.

Free the hops. I used hop bags on and off. Now I just throw them in. I buy 5 gallon paint strainer bags. I sanitize them and pour my wort through them into the fermenter.

Free the hops.

Free the hops! I love it, it would make a great homebrewing t-shirt.

I googled "hop spider", I had no idea such a thing existed. Just goes to show how much there is still to learn. I'm thinking about trying something like Deathbrewer's suspended grain bag in his sticky "Easy Partial Mash Brewing" in the beginner's forum. Looks like, at my boil volumes, it would accomplish about the same thing.

Thanks for all the replies!

NWEagle said:
nothing like the disaster i had dry hopping with leaf hops.

Uuuhh tell me more about this disaster (just put 3 oz whole cascade in the secondary)

@Pappers, does it need to be suspended? Can one bag be used for multiple additions?

The bag is quite large and has a drawstring. I tie the drawstring around the pot handle, which suspends it. The boil action moves the bag around the wort. When its time for an addition, I just untie it, open the bag, add the hops, and re-tie it.

Pappers_ said:
The bag is quite large and has a drawstring. I tie the drawstring around the pot handle, which suspends it. The boil action moves the bag around the wort. When its time for an addition, I just untie it, open the bag, add the hops, and re-tie it.

I haven't found any of these large bags that have a fine enough mesh to use for hops... the biggest ones I could find from Northern Brewer can handle 4oz tops

Ill have to keep an eye out for that... I really don't like cleaning those cotton bags compared to nylon, but that's a good size to have around

I have used a hop bag in all my brews, and I do exactly what Pappers does. While the wort is boiling, I will occasionally "tea-bag" the hops bag in the wort. The boiling action, however, does keep the bag moving quite a bit.

glenn514:mug:

I never used hops bags before, but now I have a "touchy" pump so I have to contain my leaf hops. I've been using a "hops spider", so that the hops are still loose in the wort, but not able to get through my diptube and clog up my March pump!

I'm a big believer in allowing the hops to be free in the wort- it increases hops utilization and is easy to whirlpool. If you have a false bottom or a strainer in the BK, the leaf hops also help to strain out cold/hot break. I just don't have a good system yet for the leaf hops, so I'm throwing them in the hops spider bag. It's much bigger than your average "hops bag", though.
+1

I use grain bags for mine hops pettets. There is plenty of room for the wort to move through the bag and the hops. The fine mesh keeps everything inside.
At the then end I just 'press' the bag up against the side of the boiler to get out the last of the 'hop tea.'

I have been using "paint strainer bags" from the local hardware store forever. A lot cheaper than the "hop bags" at the LHBS and they are the exact same thing.

Get a hopstopper and you will thank god for it!!

image-634935256.jpg

Uuuhh tell me more about this disaster (just put 3 oz whole cascade in the secondary)

I made the noob mistake of reading up on dry hopping with loose leaf hops (2 oz. centennial), then picking out all the things I wanted to hear, like "there won't be any problems." So I said, "Oh, I don't need any sort of filter over my autosiphon." :D Long story short:
• Destroyed autosiphon due to hops clogged inside siphon
• Oxygenated beer (hopefully not too bad)
• One gallon unable to bottle because of yeast re-suspended via agitation
• Kids possibly learned a few new words.

Lesson learned. Cheers!

I made the noob mistake of reading up on dry hopping with loose leaf hops (2 oz. centennial), then picking out all the things I wanted to hear, like "there won't be any problems." So I said, "Oh, I don't need any sort of filter over my autosiphon." :D Long story short:
• Destroyed autosiphon due to hops clogged inside siphon
• Oxygenated beer (hopefully not too bad)
• One gallon unable to bottle because of yeast re-suspended via agitation
• Kids possibly learned a few new words.

Lesson learned. Cheers!

I use a hop bag especially made for dry hopping in carboys

Hand-crafted by Seven Bridges from certified organic cotton with a natural hemp drawstring. 1 1/2" x 10"; Long and thin so it can fit up to 2 oz. of whole hops yet still fit in the narrow opening of a 5 gallon carboy (if loosely packed).

I use a hop bag especially made for dry hopping in carboys
Yeah, that was basically my problem. I was going to bag the hops and sink them but I looked at my carboy and said, "I don't really want to knock all that dried krausen (or whatever) back into my beer." So I just grabbed a funnel and stuffed.

Looks like I'll definitely be placing an order. Thanks, Pappers.

Why not make an exception and rack to a secondary if your going to dry hop? Cape I've never used those paint strainer bags but I hear a lot of people do, aren't they mostly plastic? Is there any kind of prep to do before you use them the first time?

Pappers_ said:
If I dry hop, I do rack to secondary, as well as use a hop bag.

Im going to try rubberbanding a nylon mesh bag to the intake on my racking cane this time, see what that does. I think it'll work for keeping the leaves out. All sanitized of course

Back