Hop Addition Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhill80720

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing an all grain IPA with a recipe with a lenghty hop list. My question is onestep says to add the hops at first wort with the letters FWH under the boil tiome, what does that mean? Also, another step says under the notes steep and the boil time is 0, what does that mean? Any help wopuld be great. I really don't want tro mess this one up. Thanks

The 0 min boil time is for flame-out. I am awaiting others advice on the FWH as I have never done this so I don't want to comment. I am anxious to hear what others have to say too.

FWH is first wort hops. Add the hops, pre-boil, when you are draining your mash tun.

0 time hops is an aroma hop addition - add at the end of your boil. Stir and chill as normal.

Also, some people "steep" their flame out (0 minutes) additions for some time (20-30 min) before chilling to try to get some bitterness and flavor from those additions as they sit in worth that is not boiling but still hot.

Back