Homemade mustards

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i tried to find the graph for how many minutes for how much heat you want before adding acid to stop the reaction.....couldn't find it but i know to make mustard it's a mater of adding water then after how ever many minutes you want it hot too, you add an acid to stop it.....

Excited to make Chinese style hot mustard I love it. So water and powder, then vineagr. Sounds doable. Thanks.

Look for S&B hot mustard powder. Directions should be on the can. Its wicked stuff. Fresh made blows away the tiny packs you get at Chinese places.
s-and-b-hot-mustard-powder-1S-1858.jpg

51M%2Bq1lJXzL.jpg

Updating my mustard journeys ... I bought a pound of colmans and it came in a pretty cool can. Just like the little but 16oz size. Mixed it with water. Started tasting iirc at 10 min, 5 min, whatever was tasting it. Put it in a woozy and have been tasting it since. Not sure the heat diminished that much, but could be wrong. I couldnt remember when to add the vinegar, but will try after 10min next time. Enjoy the hot, but need to make a batch of the boiled mustard too.

They taste different to me. The chinese hot mustard tastes like hot mustard. The boiled recipe tastes like a gourmet mustard in a jar. I am not sure I love the hot mustard on my sandwich or burger so am wanting a batch of both laying around. Next steps, follow temptd's idea of pickle juice and beer and also try stopping the hot mustard after 10 minutes with vinegar. Also would like to try honey and who knows what could be tossed in. Thanks so much again for all the tips and inspiration! Oh btw, did make the chef peppin dressing with left over mustard. Haha, dont have lettuce so am thinking marinade. It's a couple spoon fulls of mustard, some onion (shallot), garlic, salt, and 4 to 1 oil to vinegar. A cup onto quarter cup vinegar.
20200713_211803.jpg

Colmans is good stuff too. S&B has more of a kick to it. If you ever had Chinese hot mustard with an eggroll you got an idea what im talking about.

I love Chinese hot mustard and to be sure the colmans was close, but not as hot as restaurant hot mustard. Will keep an eye out for the sb!

Back