Orange Fire Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freaknumber3

Reaction score
Hi. I started making mead last November so that puts me at around 9 months experience. I've brewered beer for years. Since I started I've made well over a dozen different flavors, most of which are aging as best as they can as I have a hard time staying out of them. One recipe I kind of stumbled into I've dubbed "Orange Fire". The masses seem to like it, as do I. So I figured I'd share the recipe and see what you all think.

It is actually a two part recipe, two meads made and then blended together, both of which are great on their own. The first is a jalapeno mead and the second is an orange mead, originally intended to be an orange Creamsicle mead, which I never really got to as I got off on a bunny trail as it fermented.

Anyways, I ended up combining the two at a 1:1 ratio and it turned out fantastic. Initially you taste the orange, smooth and sweet. A second or two later the jalapeño bite catches you off guard and is just phenomenal!

Here is my recipe, right or wrong. It worked well for me. I've made it 3 times now and all are great. Sadly, none of them have managed to stick around for any length of time. So here goes:

First batch, the jalapeño mead. 1 gal size. OG=1.125. FG=1.000. ABV=16.7%

4LB COVER HONEY
2 JALAPEÑOS (SLICED INTO QUARTERS, SEEDS REMOVED BUT NOT THE WHITE FLESH)
1.8GM POTASSIUM CARBONATE
1.7GM FERM K
1.5GM FERM O EVERY OTHER DAY (DAY 0,2,4)
5GM GO FERM WITH 5GM PACK OF K1-V1116 YEAST

DISSOLVED HONEY IN .5GAL H20 @ 140F DEGREE
ADD POTASSIUM CARBONATE, FERM K, AND FERM O TO FERMENTER
SLICE JALAPEÑOS INTO QUARTERS AND REMOVE SEEDS, LEAVE THE WHITE FLESH, AND ADD TO FERMENTER.
ONCE HONEY IS DISSOLVED, ALLOW TO COOL TO 90F DEGREES. ADD H20 TO REACH 1GALLON MARK (A LITTLE MORE IF YOU HAVE THE ROOM) CHECK SPECIFIC GRAVITY. ADD HONEY ADD NEEDED TO REACH 1.125 MARK
MEANWHILE DISSOLVE GO FERM IN 1CUP H20 AT 95-100F DEGREES. ADD YEAST AND LET SIT FOR 20 MIN. AERATE MUST. ONCE YEAST AND MUST ARE BOTH AT 90F DEGREES ADD THE YEAST TO THE MUST.
I LET MINE FERMENT FOR 3 WEEKS TILL SG=1.000. RACKED TO ANOTHER VESSEL.

SECOND BATCH. ORANGE MEAD. 1GAL SIZE. OG=1.136 FG=.999. ABV=18%

3# HONEY
2 ORANGES. SLICED INTO 1/8THS.
1 CAN ORANGE JUICE CONCENTRATE
ORANGE OIL EXTRACT
4GM POTASSIUM CARBONATE
1.9GM FERM K
2.1GM FERM O DAY 0,2,4.
5.5GM GO FERM WITH 5GM K1-V1116 YEAST

DISSOLVE HONEY IN .5 GAL H20 @ 140F DEGREES.
ADD POT CARB, FERM K. FERM O TO FERMENTER
ADD ORANGE JUICE CONCENTRATE TO FERMENTER.
SLICE ORANGES UP AND ADD TO FERMENTER
ADD HONEY WATER ONCE TEMP IS BELOW 100F.

MEANWHILE, HYDRATE YEAST WITH GOFERM IN .5CUP H20 AT 95-100F TEMP.

AEREATE MUST. ONCE MUST AND YEAST ARE BOTH BELOW 95F, ADD YEAST TO MUST IN FERMENTER. TOP OFF WITH H20 TO REACH 1GAL MARK OR MORE IF YOU HAVE ROOM. CHECK GRAVITY. ADD HONEY AS NEEDED TO REACH 1.136 MARK.

AFTER MINE HAD FERMENTED FOR 2 WEEKS AND REACHED 1.002 GRAVITY, I MIXED 2OZ LACTOSE IN 100ML H20 AND ADDED AFTER RACKING AND FILTERING OFF SOLIDS.

LET SIT FOR ANOTHER WEEK. THEN I BACK SWEETENED WITH 1/2 CAN ORANGE CONCENTRATE TO TASTE AFTER STABILIZING WITH POTASSIUM SORBATE AND POTASSIUM METABISULFATE.

ONCE BOTH MEADS WERE COMPLETE I PROCEEDED TO COMBINE THE TWO IN A 1:1 RATIO. I DID ADD A FEW DROPS OF ORANGE OIL EXTRACT AS I REALLY WANTED THE ORANGE FLAVOR TO POP. I PROCEEDED TO START DRINKING WITHIN A FEW DAYS. SOME MANAGED TO LAST A FEW WEEKS AND WAS STILL JUST AS GOOD. 1 GALLON PLUS 1 GALLON YIELDED ONLY 1 GALLON IN THE END AS I COULDNT STOP WITH THE TASTE TESTS.

ADMIRE IT, FLAME IT, I DON'T CARE. IT CAME OUT GOOD 3 TIMES NOW.

ORANGE FIRE!! 🔥

Sounds pretty good. A couple tweaks you could try are to use a kveik yeast and ferment it hot, at least for the orange portion. I’m not 100% that you would get the orange bomb that kveik beers get, but could be worth a shot. I like to pitch my mead onto the yeast cake from a beer batch so that it is not the intense waiting game, but even then it gets way better by the 1-yr mark.
One other idea would be to add some lactose for body and subtle sweetness. I haven’t tried with mead yet, but how could it go wrong?

Sounds pretty good. A couple tweaks you could try are to use a kveik yeast and ferment it hot, at least for the orange portion. I’m not 100% that you would get the orange bomb that kveik beers get, but could be worth a shot. I like to pitch my mead onto the yeast cake from a beer batch so that it is not the intense waiting game, but even then it gets way better by the 1-yr mark.
One other idea would be to add some lactose for body and subtle sweetness. I haven’t tried with mead yet, but how could it go wrong?
Edit: you already add lactose.. oops!

Edit: you already add lactose.. oops!
Yes, delicious! Was thinking of trying a different yeast. The k1-v1116 works great but I'm thinking maybe a little too great. My gut is telling me that it may be stripping away flavor also.

I'll look into the kveik yeast. I've never used it before..

Latest posts

Back