DME Barbecue sauce

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kent88

Sometimes I have to remind myself
Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Some years ago, while I was looking for ways to use extra DME, I heard of people using it in their homemade barbecue sauce. I looked around for such a recipe but I could never find anything.

This summer my tomatoes went crazy and I've got a surplus of old extract, so I thought I'd try again. I found this recipe:
  • 15 oz. weight Canned Tomato Sauce
  • 2/3 c. Brown Sugar
  • 1/2 c. Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1/4 c. Dark Molasses
  • 2 tbsp. Dijon Mustard
  • 1 tsp. Liquid Smoke
  • 1/2 tsp. Onion Powder
  • 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
  • 1/2 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
and thought I'd remove the brown sugar and instead use about 5oz of DME. I also used homemade tomato sauce instead of canned, added cayenne to taste, and didn't add any liquid smoke, as I have a smoker and I don't really need smoky sauce on meat that will already be smoky. It came out super runny and way to acidic.

So today I tried again. I completely ignored the vinegar until I mixed everything else together and tried it. I ended up not putting any in. It was good as-is. It isn't something I would brag about at this point, but as it is a pretty simple sauce with few ingredients I thought I'd share:
  • 2 cups tomato sauce
  • 5oz DME
  • 1/4 c. Dark Molasses
  • 2 tbsp. Dijon Mustard
  • 1/2 tsp. Onion Powder
  • 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
  • Cayenne Pepper to taste
combine ingredients and simmer until it reaches the consistency you would like.

Anyone have a BBQ sauce recipe with malt extract that they'd like to share?

Back