Homemade mustards

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evilgrin

Reaction score
Tell you what guys if you never tried it you wont believe how easy it is. Plus its great by the next day. No cooking at all.

I made these 2 for family. Both were a huge hit. Mustard seeds are cheap at Asian markets.

2 tbs black mustard seeds
2 tbs brown mustard seeds
1 tsp Coleman's yellow mustard powder
1.5 tsp Dijon mustard powder
Ground both the seeds and add a little water to get the reaction going. Seal the jar and let it rest at least 10min before adding additions.

Salt and vinegar to taste. I used a white wine vinegar for this one. You dont need much salt or vinegar to preserve it.

My brother loves honey Dijon soooooo

1 tbs Colemans yellow mustard powder
1 tbs Dijon powder
4 tsp cold water
2 tsp Colavita White Balsamic
1/8 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp panca powder or chile powder (optional)

Add honey to taste.

Im making a couple more using flavored bourbon. One will be Wild Turkey Honey and the other is Jim Beam apple. My grocery store has those little sample bottles which is plenty for experimenting.

I've bought 1# bags of mustard seeds on amazon for very little money.

I make a lot of mustard, both dijon and yellow. I don't use any water in any of it, just vinegar, and I puree after soaking seeds for a few days.

Try adding a little raw horseradish in your dijon. That's pretty good.

I've bought 1# bags of mustard seeds on amazon for very little money.

I make a lot of mustard, both dijon and yellow. I don't use any water in any of it, just vinegar, and I puree after soaking seeds for a few days.

Try adding a little raw horseradish in your dijon. That's pretty good.

This is what we do. The original soak for a couple days has cider vinegar and vinegar from any kind of pickles - especially good is the pickle juice from bread & butter or sweet gherkins - we use the sugarfree ones and save the juice as we eat the pickles up.

When ready to process, the seeds/soaking liquid goes into the Vitamix along with turmeric, onion and garlic powders, paprika, more pickle vinegar, and a homebrewed beer. Makes some very dandy yellow mustard. We buy the seeds by the pound also on Amazon or eBay.

Anybody wants an actual recipe, I can get it for you!

Using anything but cold water for the initial reaction will yield a milder mustard. You can certainly do it. The 2nd one i listed was all mixed at once. It turned out great using the balsamic even before adding the honey.

Try just cold water with S&B hot yellow mustard. The stuff will light you up after 10min in a sealed jar.

https://honest-food.net/how-to-make-mustard-2/
http://chickensintheroad.com/farm-bell-recipes/pass-the-mustard-eh/

Mustard’s signature sharp, pungent flavor results from mixing either ground seed or powdered mustard with a liquid. The mixing starts a chemical reaction that releases compounds responsible for mustard’s characteristic heat.

A mustard’s strength also depends on the temperature of the liquids used. Hot liquids inhibit the chemical reaction. If everything else is the same, mixing hot water with mustard powder yields a mild mustard. Mixing cold water with mustard powder yields a hot mustard.

Freshly-made, water-based mustard will lose its bite within several hours. However, the addition of an acid— such as vinegar—stops and sets the reaction.

So if you want a strong hot mustard use cold water. Let it rest for about 10-30min. Then set it with something acidic such as vinegar.

Last edited:
https://honest-food.net/how-to-make-mustard-2/
http://chickensintheroad.com/farm-bell-recipes/pass-the-mustard-eh/

Mustard’s signature sharp, pungent flavor results from mixing either ground seed or powdered mustard with a liquid. The mixing starts a chemical reaction that releases compounds responsible for mustard’s characteristic heat.

A mustard’s strength also depends on the temperature of the liquids used. Hot liquids inhibit the chemical reaction. If everything else is the same, mixing hot water with mustard powder yields a mild mustard. Mixing cold water with mustard powder yields a hot mustard.

Freshly-made, water-based mustard will lose its bite within several hours. However, the addition of an acid— such as vinegar—stops and sets the reaction.

So if you want a strong hot mustard use cold water. Let it rest for about 10-30min. Then set it with something acidic such as vinegar.

Hmm, that's interesting. I'll try the water then. Thanks for that.

I mixed the seeds with cold beer then brought them to a boil. Let sit for the two hours. I wouldn't say my mustard is hot. More of a bitter flavor or almost like high tannin. Some of the info I found said that the bitterness will fade after 48 hours. Around the 48 hour mark is where I had my first taste. I did skim through some of the Honest Food link you sent about a week ago. I'll take a closer look.

I have been a condiment making fool this year! I have made two quarts of hot sauce, a pint of roumelade/tartar sauce, some salsa, but no mustard. That will be remedied.

Thanks for the motivation with this thread!

BTW Asian markets sell mustard powder too cheap. Not just seeds. At mine a 7oz bag of Swad brand is like $2. Make small sample batches using a mix of a couple tbs of seeds and a tbs or two of the powder. I just grind my seeds dry. Lot less mess and works fine for small amounts.

BTW Asian markets sell mustard powder too cheap. Not just seeds. At mine a 7oz bag of Swad brand is like $2. Make small sample batches using a mix of a couple tbs of seeds and a tbs or two of the powder. I just grind my seeds dry. Lot less mess and works fine for small amounts.

The Korean grocery didn't have any mustard products but the Indian grocery had a lot! 14 oz bag of seeds was $2.49 and 7 oz of powder was $1.49.

Score!

I have a recipe for a beer mustard. Uses Guinness, brown mustard seeds, and wine vinegar. Let that sit and soften for a couple days, then grind it up with salt, possibly nutmeg (I skip that part; don't really care for the flavor) and a couple other things. I've made it a few times before, need to do it again sometime.

Wow another cool thing I can make at home that I love to put on my food! Thanks everyone! This forum never ceases to amaze me!

John

Once my wife asked me why I had literally nine mustards in the fridge. “THEY'RE ALL FOR DIFFERENT THINGS!” I said... Maybe I was a little defensive.

Looking forward to trying this stuff.

I recently got some great local mustard made with an egg base, kind of like mayo. Very tasty.

Mustard mixed with mayo is the main way i enjoy mustard on a sammich. Personally i cant stand stuff like French's bright yellow mustard. Just the smell is almost enough to make me gag.

I will be attempting to make a mustard similar to this, except I'll be using leftover brine from some fermented pepper hot sauce that I made using scotch bonnets and Moruga Red Monsters. It will definitely be some HOT mustard.

I must say, after giving my mustard a try on a couple of chili dogs...

I am not a fan. Gave the 2nd dog to my dogs.

Not "mustard-y" enough, and a bit too grainy for my taste (pun intended). I really hope it ages better, though the aroma is pretty good.

If you dont like the "grainy" get mustard flour or grind your own finer. Get some Colemans for experimenting. I grind my seeds dry in a cheap blade grinder. Just sift it through a stainless strainer. Toss the rough stuff back into the grinder and repeat.

The last batch i made is brutal. I used Swads mustard powder and cold water to start the reaction. Its way too harsh for me. Not super hot like S&B but harsh. After a couple days in the fridge it mellowed enough to make some more additions. Additional balsamic white vinegar, Wild Turkey Honey and some of my good local honey.

Cooking any prepared mustard will mellow it A LOT.

I will mill the seeds dry next time. I soaked them a couple days first this time. I definitely can add a bit of honey, ginger, etc to season it a bit.

My batch is about 2 weeks old so it could still mellow a bit more, I think.

The video you posted shows him heating the mustard and then putting it in jars. There really is no need to cook mustard if its going in the fridge. It will keep for a very long time with just minimal amounts of salt and any acid like vinegar. Mustard is a natural antibacterial/antimicrobial all by itself.

Its just like when you use mustard as a base rub on a pork roast for the BBQ or smoker. You wont even taste the mustard when its done cooking.

We never refrigerate ours. It has plenty of vinegar in it, and salt, turmeric, other seasonings. We also never cook it - soak the seeds in vinegar, put the lot and then seasonings/beer into the Vitamix, run it til smooth, let sit a couple days. It lasts a month or more in the pantry - we make 2 quarts at a time and just spoon it into a squeeze bottle for use.

Anybody wants an actual recipe, I can get it for you!

Yes please! If you like what you are doing enough to keep it in stock I would love to see the details.

Last night I made a couple of small batches from ideas I got online... no idea if they will turn out OK but I just ordered pounds of seeds from Amazon so I better figure this out. :)

Sorry, @Horseflesh, I just now saw this! Here is my base recipe and my tweaks at the end. Hope you give it a try, it's so good!

Temptd's original version of French's yellow mustard
(read all the way through before starting though!)

1/2 cup yellow mustard seeds
3/4 cup white vinegar
1/3 cup water
1/2 tsp. salt
pinch garlic powder
pinch paprika
1 tsp. turmeric

Add mustard seeds to a jar with a tight-fitting lid. We actually do a double batch and put the stuff in a quart Mason jar. Add the vinegar and water to the seeds, put on the lid, shake; let stand 2 days at room temp, shaking occasionally.

Pour this mixture into the Vitamix and then add the seasonings. Process until smooth and of a consistency you want - you will need to add more liquid to the stuff as it blends and find the speed on your VM that doesn't cavitate.

Cover and let sit at room temp for a week or so to mellow the taste. The longer it ages at room temp, the mellower it will be.

At the point where you like the taste, you can refrigerate it to halt the mellowing and preserve it.

Makes about 1.5 to 2 quarts, depending on how much liquid you end up using.

NOW - our tweaks! Instead of white vinegar and water, we use apple cider vinegar and leftover vinegar from some other source to soak the mustard seeds - our favorite is the leftover bread & butter vinegar from our B & B jalapenos. We've also used the vinegar from a jar of pickled pepperoncinis, dill pickles, gherkins, B & B pickles - whatever. And, instead of adding water when blending, we add our homebrewed beer. You could use any beer you like. A double batch pretty much takes at least 12 oz. beer to get it to the texture we like (pretty much like French's yellow mustard consistency) - experiment and see what YOU like!

Mustard.jpg

Two winters ago, we had a lot of rain and a ton of mustard plants grew in the hills around my house (black mustard thanks to Father Junipero Serra who was responsible for the California mission system). I spent hours picking the mustard plants and separating the seeds from the plants until I had two quart mason jars full. The problem has been that I haven't found a recipe I like yet. I'll have to give the ones on this thread a try.

It's been another rainy season, and the mustard is starting to grow like crazy again, so I plan to harvest more when the seeds form. I know I could buy mustard seeds cheaper at the market, but I like knowing it came from my neighborhood and I harvested it.
mustard 2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks @Temptd2 !

Since I found the thread I have made a few attempts. The trials I kind of improvised kind of sucked, I think I did not use enough liquid and the thick paste never mellowed.

I did make one dijon-ish recipe that was very good, good enough that I stopped using the similar store-bought version... though now I can't find my recipe link or printout

Two winters ago, we had a lot of rain and a ton of mustard plants grew in the hills around my house (black mustard thanks to Father Junipero Serra who was responsible for the California mission system). I spent hours picking the mustard plants and separating the seeds from the plants until I had two quart mason jars full. The problem has been that I haven't found a recipe I like yet. I'll have to give the ones on this thread a try.

It's been another rainy season, and the mustard is starting to grow like crazy again, so I plan to harvest more when the seeds form. I know I could buy mustard seeds cheaper at the market, but I like knowing it came from my neighborhood and I harvested it.

Where are those taken? General vicinity would be fine if you don't want to divulge exactly where you live! ;)

View attachment 616796

View attachment 616797
We have similar looking mustard growing all over the Bay Area, Father Junipero Serra must of really got around.:)

I have seen people in the mustard fields and had always thought they were picking the greens, but maybe they were after the seeds too.

Thanks @Temptd2 !

Since I found the thread I have made a few attempts. The trials I kind of improvised kind of sucked, I think I did not use enough liquid and the thick paste never mellowed.

I did make one dijon-ish recipe that was very good, good enough that I stopped using the similar store-bought version... though now I can't find my recipe link or printout

Some of mine took weeks to mellow into a good mustard. Use a sweet or semi sweet white wine to thin the thick ones. White balsamic vinegar works pretty well too. The dijon mustard powder from myspicesage wasnt bad. Its just rather expensive to use by itself.

Even the sorta "blah" ones were fairly good when mixed with some mayo or Miracle Whip. Im thinking even a ranch dressing might be interesting.

We found that using wine in the processing gave a much more pungent result, more like a Dijon, than using beer. Not sure why that is but if you look at the ingredients in Dijon, I believe it has wine in it (the commercial ones) - it took it a lot longer to mellow out too.

The ones we make with beer mellow fairly quickly, like within a week or two. They become pretty much like a more flavorful French's yellow mustard. We use them liberally on hamburgers and any sandwich where you want a yellow mustard. Good on corned beef and cabbage too! :)

Mustard!! I ended up making some on a whim a few months back and posted in the cooking thread, many of you commented and looking for that recipe I found this thread. Since I ran out of that first attempt, I have craved it. Thanks for all the tips here. Strange my initial attempt was boiled iirc. I ended up tasting it as it cooked and WOW it was hot at first and then dijonny if thats a word. I see many of these are no boil. Wonder whats the difference? Excited to make Chinese style hot mustard I love it. So water and powder, then vineagr. Sounds doable. Thanks.

Rereading my boiled mustard needed no time to age and its flavor was set and did not change. It had a point it was so good and I went past that. It went from perfect consistency like grey poupon to more lumpy. But flavor did not change other than less fresh. Feel inclined to make it this way so I dont have to wait!

Back