Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
97750A70-213A-4DED-B570-0C496005876A.jpeg

Made a half batch of sourdough English muffins. I replaced the milk with buttermilk… soft and fluffy Interior with lots of nook and crannies for butter.

I think I'm starting to get the hang of this
😊 This one was my best loaf to date. Great oven spring, and crumb. And it tastes good too 😋

Edit: Recipe details: 50% manitoba wheat, 25% heritage wheat, 12.5% whole grain spelt, 12.5% semola rimacinata. 75% hydration, 2% salt, 20% sourdough levain

Attachments

• PXL_20220731_071139915.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220731_071139915.MP.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
The designs are beautiful, and I've noted them before. How do you do designs vs the cut for the split?
Thank you, I’ve just recently been making attractive loaves… prior to getting this type of “lame” I used a serrated steak knife to make the single slash.
34D0E697-7993-4A1E-ABE7-51454D6CE1C4.jpeg

To make the “wheat” design I made very shallow cuts as the deeper the cut the more it opens. There are other types and if one is a little handy they could make one or purchase disposable scalpels from a surplus site. This one was in a bundle with a baneton, Dutch whisk and some stencils on Amazon A while ago.
https://bannetonman.com.au/blogs/news/how-to-use-a-bread-lame-safely-2021-tutorial

8C2F28D1-D938-4351-9EB5-E5A0292CF0BF.jpeg
312DE879-94E7-4B54-8BA6-E654D269E38E.jpeg

Yikes, overnight proof blew the lid off. Pre-shaped in the bowl and put it in the fridge while I ran errands and such for six hours.
0EECEB5A-437E-4171-9BE6-54E637B719D6.jpeg
3901E753-CCA5-4C6F-8C2D-379FDC3D5CD2.jpeg
This sourdough sandwich loaf was baked at 350F took longer than the recipe stated to be done and had a little blow out on the side, but tasty. If I can find local farmed tomatoes tomorrow sandwiches will be eaten!

i'm going to try and fish some more for my bean bread....

could the reason it doesn't work traditional style, because i'm using vital wheat gluten and bean flour...the gluten is getting over kneaded, and maybe if i only knead for like 2 minutes with a 10 minute reast inbetween until smooth would keep the possibly over streched and broken gluten from breaking down?

With normal wheat flour you really don't need to do much kneading, there are plenty of no-knead recipes. Not sure how bean flour would work.

I do a stretch and fold thing with my bread, every 30 to 40min stretch it out then do a letter fold. I do this for a couple hours but normally after the second folding I can feel the gluten doing it's thing.

Also when I first mix the ingredients I just mix the dough until it just comes together then allow it to sit for 20 to 30min to hydrate the flour.

Not sure how bean flour would work.

well i'm adding basically pure gluten to the bean flour...more protein and it's complete protein. more folate and stuff too.

i mix the bean flour about 2/3 to 1/3 pure gluten, if i knead it for like 30 minutes, i can get the gluten to take, but it's a race against time to get it risen and set before it colapses, i've tried geling the bean flour, figured that would cover maybe hydration, and denature any enzymes that may be responsible for it. no love.

(i've been trying to get this perfected for 12-13 years now, because after bean soup lunch and dinner, i didn't give up on beans. but damn i needed something more 'fun/creative' to eat!) i apreciate the response :mug:)

i'm not a vegatarian or vegan, but watch a lot of their videos and some are in college for food science, i'd love to grab one and ask them to make beans good, and stop trying to make meat bad! lol

well i'm adding basically pure gluten to the bean flour...more protein and it's complete protein. more folate and stuff too.

i mix the bean flour about 2/3 to 1/3 pure gluten, if i knead it for like 30 minutes, i can get the gluten to take, but it's a race against time to get it risen and set before it colapses, i've tried geling the bean flour, figured that would cover maybe hydration, and denature any enzymes that may be responsible for it. no love.

(i've been trying to get this perfected for 12-13 years now, because after bean soup lunch and dinner, i didn't give up on beans. but damn i needed something more 'fun/creative' to eat!) i apreciate the response :mug:)

i'm not a vegatarian or vegan, but watch a lot of their videos and some are in college for food science, i'd love to grab one and ask them to make beans good, and stop trying to make meat bad! lol
Not a vegan or food scientist and don't know beans about making bread from beans.

Are you using yeast to leaven or baking soda?

If you are using yeast maybe use less yeast to slow the rise and give you a better chance to catch it before it collapses.

If you are proofing before baking and putting into a hot oven maybe just pop it into a cold oven with minimal or no proofing and start the heating. The initial heating should get the yeast real active to get a rise then the heat might set the bread before it can collapse. My mom sometime does that with normal wheat flour bread when it is colder and the bread is slow to proof.

Not a vegan or food scientist and don't know beans about making bread from beans.

🤣 that's what always cracks me up...i swear vegans know more about hamburgers then cattle ranchers! i'm trying to do something with beans besides soup, and no help from them! :(

If you are using yeast maybe use less yeast to slow the rise and give you a better chance to catch it before it collapses.

tried it, i have the best luck with adding about an ounce of yeast, getting to rise fully in 20-30 minutes, getting it into a hot oven, and cross my fingers it maybe one of my half successful loaves...

and yeah i use yeast, that's the point i want to make good stuff with beans! like cinnamon rolls, with butter ;), and i have luck with navy bean pita pockets...lentil noodles are good, my problem is what ever breaks down the gluten..

🤣 that's what always cracks me up...i swear vegans know more about hamburgers then cattle ranchers! i'm trying to do something with beans besides soup, and no help from them! :(

tried it, i have the best luck with adding about an ounce of yeast, getting to rise fully in 20-30 minutes, getting it into a hot oven, and cross my fingers it maybe one of my half successful loaves...

and yeah i use yeast, that's the point i want to make good stuff with beans! like cinnamon rolls, with butter ;), and i have luck with navy bean pita pockets...lentil noodles are good, my problem is what ever breaks down the gluten..
I always thought it was the yeast that turned my sour dough starter from a dough to soup, but I think it might actually be enzymes that are added to the flour. If you are not using commercial baking flour not sure that applies in your case.

You might have seen this link in your search but it seem like too much mixing can harm the gluten structure and maybe trying to rush the process is not giving the dough time to rebuild the structure.
What Is Gluten? The Science Behind Great Dough

I searched dry bean bread and did not find anything too useful but I did notice some recipes add xanthan gum to help thicken them.

I an not sure if this the same type of gluten you add but reading some of the comments not all gluten seem to work the same.
Vital Wheat Gluten

Recipe, tips and tricks please! I love pita and this sounds pretty awesome

well i have a wonder mill, so i grind navy, or small white beans in to flour. then i mix the bean flour with 1/3 by weight vital wheat gluten. i use A LOT of yeast for a fast rise. knead until window pane. only do one rise, quick.

other then that it's just like making pitas the normal way.

Pumpkin enriched sourdough with pumpkin purée nutmeg and cardamom. First attempt, I have time to improve before Thanksgiving.

Attachments

• 127F941B-16CF-48A7-8A47-8CF7B4ACDCE3.jpeg
    127F941B-16CF-48A7-8A47-8CF7B4ACDCE3.jpeg
    566.3 KB · Views: 0
  • AFB37DAA-F2B1-4AC4-9B38-886D613B1B1E.jpeg
    AFB37DAA-F2B1-4AC4-9B38-886D613B1B1E.jpeg
    596.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 64F65133-141B-4406-8FA2-E7999BF20E27.jpeg
    64F65133-141B-4406-8FA2-E7999BF20E27.jpeg
    839.2 KB · Views: 0
  • A12E5A68-5669-4B0A-ABDA-BF5183D608CA.jpeg
    A12E5A68-5669-4B0A-ABDA-BF5183D608CA.jpeg
    783.5 KB · Views: 0
Almost ugly enough for an episode of nailed it, LOL, but it’s tasty. Chocolate walnut sourdough, and I know how to score it better next time.

Attachments

• 7B8EF725-509C-4115-B690-ED2585EE8F99.jpeg
    7B8EF725-509C-4115-B690-ED2585EE8F99.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 901B1FAC-B184-48D4-8EB5-25F28AD308EC.jpeg
    901B1FAC-B184-48D4-8EB5-25F28AD308EC.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
It looks like Jack Skellington from that Christmas movie I've never seen. :p

images.jpeg

I have to ask: why is the crust so pale on that dark bread?

Last edited:
It looks like Jack Skellington from that Christmas movie I've never seen. :p

View attachment 784693
I have to ask: why is the crust so pale on that dark bread?
Yes, that’s what I was going for, not too bad for my first attempt, I use rice flour to keep the dough from sticking to the form while it is in cold retard… and that’s perfect for Jack, so I didn’t brush away the excess.

Back