Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most recent loaf
tVc0TaU.jpg

I hope this is the right place to ask my question... I made a sourdough starter using the breadtopia instructions. The start is very active and makes good bread but it is not very sour. Is there a way to make to starter more sour or am I better to just start over?
Thanks-

It's all a balance of temp, time, amounts. Things that might get you closer to what you want...

Usually the starter is fairly sour. You could use more of it or let it get more over-ripe (mix the very sour liquor back in). This will bring more flavor into the bulk recipe to begin with.

It's ok to let your starter go over-ripe. Best to time the levain and proof for peak health.

With a cooler, longer proof (in the fridge, overnight) you can slow the rising action of the yeast to allow time for bacteria to eat their fill and excrete their acids. Yeasts work faster than the sour bugs.

https://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/sourdough/how-to-make-truly-sour-sourdough-bread/

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I have been draining the liquer. I will try mixing it in on the next batch. I already bulk rise in the fridge for at least 12 hours.
This is some awesome sourdough from the 1847 Oregon Trail. Actually, it's one of the coolest interwebs discovery I ever made about 15 years ago. Carl, who has passed, grandmother came West across the Oregon Trail, and her sourdough lives on today. For the price of a self addressed stamped envelope (remember those?), a Friend of Carl will send you starter with lineage from way back then. In my experience, Carl's sourdough performs far better than any wild caught fermentation I've ever done. Carl Griffith 1847 Oregon Trail Sourdough Page (carlsfriends.net)

What are you feeding it? using whole wheat flour will produce a more sour tang then using 100% AP flour.

great info! I am using ap flour for feeding. I will switch to whole wheat. I am going to send for some of carl's starter too. That sounds too good to pass up!

I hope this is the right place to ask my question... I made a sourdough starter using the breadtopia instructions. The start is very active and makes good bread but it is not very sour. Is there a way to make to starter more sour or am I better to just start over?
Thanks-
How long are you letting it ferment? Mine gets more sour the longer I let it ferment. If I want sour I mix up the biga, using starter, about 25% of the flour and some water and let it sit 36 hrs before adding the rest of the flour and other ingredients.

It's all a balance of temp, time, amounts. Things that might get you closer to what you want...

Usually the starter is fairly sour. You could use more of it or let it get more over-ripe (mix the very sour liquor back in). This will bring more flavor into the bulk recipe to begin with.

It's ok to let your starter go over-ripe. Best to time the levain and proof for peak health.

With a cooler, longer proof (in the fridge, overnight) you can slow the rising action of the yeast to allow time for bacteria to eat their fill and excrete their acids. Yeasts work faster than the sour bugs.

https://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/sourdough/how-to-make-truly-sour-sourdough-bread/
How long are you letting it ferment? Mine gets more sour the longer I let it ferment. If I want sour I mix up the biga, using starter, about 25% of the flour and some water and let it sit 36 hrs before adding the rest of the flour and other ingredients.

I usually ferment on the counter for 4 hours, fridge for about 12 hours and then mix the rest ofd the flour and work a few times over the next 4 - 6 hours before baking. I will try all these options.
Thanks for all the help.

Imperial Stout Spent Grain
60% MO
20% Brown
10% Black
(10% Invert, but none of that made its way into the bread)

400g White Bread Flour
300g Whole Wheat
300g Dark Rye
100g Flaked Oats
300g Spent Grain

I've started to bulk rise overnight in the fridge, then proof in the fridge. In addition to making the timing of everything a lot more flexible, I'm enjoying the heightened sour tang. Still pretty mild, but definitely there.

20210623_121557.jpg

Imperial Stout Spent Grain
60% MO
20% Brown
10% Black
(10% Invert, but none of that made its way into the bread)

400g White Bread Flour
300g Whole Wheat
300g Dark Rye
100g Flaked Oats
300g Spent Grain

I've started to bulk rise overnight in the fridge, then proof in the fridge. In addition to making the timing of everything a lot more flexible, I'm enjoying the heightened sour tang. Still pretty mild, but definitely there.

View attachment 733359

Homemade bread, homemade mixed-nut butter. Kid-approved.

20210702_161023.jpg

Sammich bread for most of the week.

Came out of the oven ~15 minutes ago. I let it 'rest' in the pan since it comes out easier that way (sometimes 30-40 minutes).

100% stoneground whole wheat flour, honey, oil, salt and yeast is all that goes into it (plus water of course). Rise in bowl for about an hour, then 30-45 minutes rise in pan before baking (34-35 minutes at 350F).

PXL_20210918_162252782.jpg
PXL_20210918_162027488.jpg

It inflates as it bakes about 25-30% over what it went into the oven as. Been making this for about five years now (since early 2017).

That looks awesome! Taste as good as it looks?

How are your folks in Redding doing with the wildfires and smoke? I see there are 4 smaller fires in the area. I grew up in Colusa so keep an eye out on the northern valley.

It's been a little while since I posted anything in this thread. My sourdough culture has been on the fritz and isn't forming good gluten. In order to have some bread, I just whipped up a couple loaves with standard baker's yeast and a little spent grain and whole wheat flours.

Dough:

* 920g bread flour
* 45g spent grain flour (or substitute dark rye or whole wheat)
* 35g whole wheat flour
* 780g filtered water @ 90’F
* 22g sea salt
* 4g bakers yeast
* sesame and poppy seeds for topping

Full method with more pics here: Spent Grain + Whole Wheat Standard Loaf

1PUTkj7.jpg

07m1FX2.jpg

74a9E6E.jpg

nmJ8Bl2.jpg

First time making focaccia. Smells amazing! Home grown garlic and rosemary. Local flour from our mill and local fresh pressed olive oil.

I dunno if I can wait for it to cool! :)

Cheers
JayView attachment 743979
Wow! Love the fresh herbage too. Fresh pressed oil sounds awesome.

Love the work you do Tandem Tails. The rise is awesome. Thanks for the recipe. Want to give it a try. How much pressure and how much kneading in your stretch and fold intervals, if you dont mind sharing.

Kids are back in school, and bread bucket is back. Back to same old, make pizza, make buns, make loaves, use left overs. Normal might be three pizzas and some buns. Lots of times aged dough, I use gloves and really tasty olive oil to shape. Plenty of oil. Forgot to slash this one. Oh, yum, made a large pizza shape, little more square, thin cuz had little dough. On one half did rows of salami, pepperoni, and cheddar. Flipped the other half parchment over and voila, tossed on steel, and these little sandwiches. Baked on the parchment so no mess, oil on parchment so wouldn't stick. Reminder to bake in sheet pan for spills. Made some cinnamon bread with ceylon cinnamon.
20210926_140900.jpg
20210925_133224.jpg
20210926_135808.jpg
20210914_220658.jpg
20210925_133304.jpg
20210829_131203.jpg

Wow! Love the fresh herbage too. Fresh pressed oil sounds awesome.

Love the work you do Tandem Tails. The rise is awesome. Thanks for the recipe. Want to give it a try. How much pressure and how much kneading in your stretch and fold intervals, if you dont mind sharing.
I just did it like the recipe called for. 30 min, simple stretches and folds. This was SOOOOOOO easy!

Cheers
Jay

Latest posts

Back