Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whole wheat sandwhich loaves.

20200920_210136.jpg
20200920_211229.jpg

I've been on a savory bread kick lately. This bread with sun dried tomatoes and roasted red peppers was my latest to keep with the savory trend.

I blended some oil packed sun dried tomatoes and roasted red peppers into a puree and then combined that with the flour to give this bread a huge boost of flavor.

Ingredients

* 900g bread flour
* 100g rye flour
* 750g water
* 200g starter
* 22g sea salt
* 18g roasted red pepper
* 45g sun dried tomatoes

Basic Method

I used the 'lazy' method here which means no autolyse or starter buildup. I simply took 200g of my starter straight from the fridge and added it with the rest of the ingredients. There was an 8 hour bulk ferment at room temperature followed by 17 hour cold proof in the fridge.

For a full explanation of this method with instructions, check out this post: Roasted Bell Pepper + Sun Dried Tomato Sourdough

rmST17F.jpg

Scoring close-up
8b1Ycaa.jpg

Top view of one loaf
h989YPv.jpg

Crumb shot
UROUjwO.jpg

to the master bakers out there. I had a new "problem" today and hope someone might have some insight. I have been making my sourdough recipe for years. I use a kitchenaide. When it is just right it will stick to the bottom of the bowl for the first 6 or so minutes of kneading. then in the last couple of minutes it will pull away and form a clump on the dough hook.

Today the starter I used to make the biga last night was a bit dryer than normal so the dough did not start out sticking to the bottom. I added water until it was just sticking to the bottom. All was normal for about 6 minutes of kneading until all of a sudden the dough ball that was on the dough hook collapsed and the entire ball started sticking to the bottom and sides of the bowl. I added a little flour and got it to partly pull away but it was still very sticky.

It didn't rise as well as normal and baked up a little flatter, although still good bread. It was also a very wet bread. All I can think of is the water I added had stayed in the outside layer of the dough so the center part still held to the dough hook. Finally the water penetrated the center and caused the collapse. Although that does not explain why the outside of the ball was not sticking during the first part of the knead.

to the master bakers out there. I had a new "problem" today and hope someone might have some insight. I have been making my sourdough recipe for years. I use a kitchenaide. When it is just right it will stick to the bottom of the bowl for the first 6 or so minutes of kneading. then in the last couple of minutes it will pull away and form a clump on the dough hook.

Today the starter I used to make the biga last night was a bit dryer than normal so the dough did not start out sticking to the bottom. I added water until it was just sticking to the bottom. All was normal for about 6 minutes of kneading until all of a sudden the dough ball that was on the dough hook collapsed and the entire ball started sticking to the bottom and sides of the bowl. I added a little flour and got it to partly pull away but it was still very sticky.

It didn't rise as well as normal and baked up a little flatter, although still good bread. It was also a very wet bread. All I can think of is the water I added had stayed in the outside layer of the dough so the center part still held to the dough hook. Finally the water penetrated the center and caused the collapse. Although that does not explain why the outside of the ball was not sticking during the first part of the knead.

That's a strange issue. Are you sure you measured your water correctly for both the biga and when you mixed your biga with the rest of the water/flour? Everything you described sounds like how a high hydration dough performs.

That's a strange issue. Are you sure you measured your water correctly for both the biga and when you mixed your biga with the rest of the water/flour? Everything you described sounds like how a high hydration dough performs.
It is a high hydration dough. I measured correctly but the starter is always a variable as I don't measure when I add replacement water and flour to my starter jar. Thus the starter can have more or less hydration on a given batch. And that can be significant as my biga is 250 gr starter, 180 gr flour and 175 gr water. the rest of the dough, added the next day before kneading is 30 gr honey, 3/4 tsp salt, 300 gr flour and 75 gr water. I usually end up adding 2 to 3 tsp of water during the knead to get just the right amount of "stick" to the bottom of the mixing bowl. For this batch it was probably closer to 5 tsp of water before it was sticking like I expect. But then, as discussed in the OP, it just collapsed and turned very sticky after about 7 minutes of kneading.

One dough, second proof over night in the fridge for cinnamon rolls and dinner rolls today. Happy Thanksgiving.

Attachments

• 4965AA49-46F3-4E17-8BAF-D59DF2E251AB.jpeg
    4965AA49-46F3-4E17-8BAF-D59DF2E251AB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • B94BD78A-1184-4893-B62A-0E76849E459A.jpeg
    B94BD78A-1184-4893-B62A-0E76849E459A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • 143287FE-6C2A-442D-8640-1C675DC661F6.jpeg
    143287FE-6C2A-442D-8640-1C675DC661F6.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
Made another batch of my sammich bread yesterday (as well as a batch of dinner rolls). 100% stone ground whole wheat flour (Bob's Red Mill), some gluten, EVOO, honey and smidge of salt make up the recipe. I make 6-8 batches a month. 1-1/2# of flour for each batch. So I go through a good amount of flour every year. I also use Red Star Gold yeast in the recipe.

I allow it to rise in a bowl, then again in the loaf pan, before it goes in to bake. 34-35 minutes at 350F and it's done (check with a cake tester).

PXL_20201201_180035461.jpg
PXL_20201201_180256349.jpg

The additional gluten makes the texture very nice. Flavor is really good too. I think the extra gluten in the recipe makes other flour brands come out like crap (king arthur) since they must already have extra in the mix. I've tried other brands when it was hard to get Bob's and it almost never went well.

I've also found that it's best if it's a bit on the wet/sticky side in mixer. Seems to rise best/fastest when it is.

A couple of years ago the KitchenAid Pro (600) mixer I had was having a hard time with this dough. Didn't matter how wet I made it. Went and got the commerical mixer (KitchenAid still) with a MUCH more powerful motor. It's been going strong for about three years now. The other didn't even make it a year (was out of warranty, but had never been used before this). I seem to kill anything not 'commercial grade' for mixers from them. First the Artisan motor got burned out (as in seized) when making sausage one year. Then the Pro got seriously done in with bread. I wanted to get a Hobart, but didn't want to spend $2k on it. Not when the KA Commercial was less than $600. At least it came with a two year warranty. Figured if it didn't show any strain in over a year, it wasn't going to. I've also not had the heating issue with the motor with the commercial mixer that I did with the 'pro' mixer (after 10 minutes of running).

If you're looking for a mixer that's better than the Pro (or Artisan) line form KitchenAid, check out their commercial mixer. All the attachments are stainless steel too. No coated, or aluminum, items here. :)

Woot! Cant believe how much the soul needed a little pku. Tried challah and ciabatta. Neither came out great. Found out not to make it in a hurry. We used hb boules for the stuffing and green bean casserole at Thanksgiving. Wow oh wow. That totally changed the dishes. Gave them a lot of character and they lasted longer too. The challah rolls were really good dipped in chicken noodle soup and reminded me of being a kid. I dont have a pic of the challah right now argh. The stuffing and casserole were sooo good. The Murrays apricots and cranberries were remarkable!
20201125_175412.jpg
20201125_183341.jpg
20201125_105719.jpg
20201123_202756.jpg
20201123_202815.jpg
20201123_173341.jpg

Made some boules on a zoom demonstration, was hard and rushed but I let them cook longer and we like the flavor. Also made cinnamon rolls.

Yep, I used the bread machine for giggles. Pleased with my growth as a baker since the last dance I had no problem finding the right ratio. Not quite as wet as the no knead. Also made less than the full 4cup batch. On one of them I dumped a couple BIG handfuls of grated block tillamook cheddar. Oh the smell. The problem is the size. These loaves are way to big to make any sense at all. I think the way to go would be small loaves in an upwards sense and then sliced top to bottom. Squirted evoo in the dough and added sugar. Like wonder bread. I lived on that thing in college. 50 pound sacks of flour and a bulk bag of yeast, brought up memories using it. Happy baking!
Screenshot_20201218-002833_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201218-002701_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201218-002521_Gallery.jpg
20201218_131905.jpg
20201218_123646.jpg
20201217_154708.jpg
20201217_192401.jpg
20201217_201715.jpg
20201218_123439.jpg
20201217_235455.jpg

Might try my accidental Christmas loaf again for year 3. I butter dough balls like monkey bread need to look back on this thread, sugar and cinnamon. And then let sit in fridge a day or two. It rises and becomes one almost, then on baking day splash with a stick of butter and bake slow. Top with frosting when cool!

I've been on a savory bread kick lately. This bread with sun dried tomatoes and roasted red peppers was my latest to keep with the savory trend.

I blended some oil packed sun dried tomatoes and roasted red peppers into a puree and then combined that with the flour to give this bread a huge boost of flavor.

Ingredients

* 900g bread flour
* 100g rye flour
* 750g water
* 200g starter
* 22g sea salt
* 18g roasted red pepper
* 45g sun dried tomatoes

Basic Method

I used the 'lazy' method here which means no autolyse or starter buildup. I simply took 200g of my starter straight from the fridge and added it with the rest of the ingredients. There was an 8 hour bulk ferment at room temperature followed by 17 hour cold proof in the fridge.

For a full explanation of this method with instructions, check out this post: Roasted Bell Pepper + Sun Dried Tomato Sourdough

rmST17F.jpg

Scoring close-up
8b1Ycaa.jpg

Top view of one loaf
h989YPv.jpg

Crumb shot
UROUjwO.jpg
Beautiful as always. I love the additions. I added cheese for the first time ever so I appreciate some better inspiration. I dont measure but that recipe seems wetter than what I use? Mine is 3 c water to 6.5 c flour. And is considered a wetter no knead type dough I think. I have tried more water, cant recall results other than difficult to work with. But a little oil cures that for me.

Wolly boule wolly boule wolly boule...made some boules and hot dog buns. The hot dog buns were a quick stretch for a quick lunch, I make them real quick why dogs cook in air fryer. Not to thick even very small work nicely. To big is the problem, throws ratio off. I make sure they touch and flip to get a little brown on the top. Then when pulled apart they will open from soft side like a nice hotdog bun should. Sliced one boule other day, rest tonight, crunchy chopping.
20201220_133230.jpg
20201221_211726.jpg
20201220_191750.jpg
20201220_134655.jpg
20201220_144447.jpg
20201220_192106.jpg
20201220_134659.jpg
20201220_143910.jpg
20201221_211654.jpg

My "daily" levain. 90% Central Milling Baker's Choice Plus, 10% Central Milling Hi-Pro WW Medium. Organic (their conventional equivalents are the Red Rose line of flours).

Christmas 2020 Bread I.jpg

My true pain au levain is much higher in whole grain, 37%; higher hydration (75%, v. 70% for the above), and the process is a much slower, cooler ferment (only 20% of a "sweet" starter at 65F, as opposed to 32.5% and 78F for the daily levain, above).

I prefer working with wheat, but because my wife is Estonian, I make a lot of ryes as well.

New Year's present. This Patrick Ryan recipe for sourdough with baked brie is the bee's knee's. It's like having a cheese fondue h'ordeuvres. Really tasty. Fresh sourdough and baked brie. Really easy but requires starting the night before and slow proofing in the fridge.

Pre-bake:
1609470033856.png

Post bake:
1609470062351.png

I baked this outside in a Weber gas fired grill and a cast iron pot. Used the covered cast iron bake at 450F for 15 minutes to start with. In an oven, 500F would have been better. Oven spring brought the bread up to be about even with the cheese. In the grill, it probably could have gone 5 more minutes for a better and darker crust, but I pulled it out since the internal temp was 205F. And this was my first attempt.

This is now in my special occasion rotation.

Happy New Year!

My wife gave me a copy of "Tartine Bread" by Chad Robertson for Christmas. Just finished making the first bread using his recipe and technique, OMG! This is the best bread I've ever made. It has better crumb, better crust and the most delicious and complex depth of flavor. It's just amazing. If you haven't already read the book, you should definitely check it out. PXL_20210104_000550274.jpg
PXL_20210104_000550274.jpg

What provides the complexity of flavor? Is there a very long fermentation at low temperature? What hydration called for - 70% , more? What makes for the better crust - Do you bake the bread in a dutch oven to trap the steam for the first half of the bake time?

What provides the complexity of flavor? Is there a very long fermentation at low temperature? What hydration called for - 70% , more? What makes for the better crust - Do you bake the bread in a dutch oven to trap the steam for the first half of the bake time?
I can't explain the greater complexity of flavor. I assume it comes from a longer fermentation, but his whole technique is different from anything I've ever done before. He is very specific about when to use the starter to achieve the right flavor profile and he uses temperature differently in the pre-baking stages. He advocates starting the leaven at about 65* and then once the dough is mixed, keeping the it around 80*. The whole process takes about 24 hours from the start of the leaven to baking. He uses 75% hydration with the dough, and there is no kneading, just turning the dough periodically through the first fermentation period. I did use a combo cooker which made a huge difference with the crust.

Edit: it's also 100% wild yeast and bacteria. There is no commercial yeast used at any point.

Last edited:
ah.. This is a sour dough bread with high hydration. I generally allow my commercially yeasted loaves to sit on a starter that I make with one cup of flour and all the water I plan on using for about 6 hours. But you can allow the starter to sit in a fridge for up to about 3 days to allow more of the flavors develop.
Kneading is one method of developing gluten but simply allowing the dough to stand for 24 hours is another method. The turning, I think, helps the gluten develop a spine, as it were, and that spine helps control the shape of the loaf as it rises.

I like the stretch and fold approach, just elongating and folding it up letter style ever 20 to 30 mins for a couple hours. After about an hour it is already feeling pretty well structured.

i have a question for the thread.

i haven't been eating enough beans recently. i've had some luck with mixing bean flour with vital wheat gluten to get yeast leavened beans, because honestly bean soup got boring after a year.

but a few posts back i saw a bread maker loaf. and Thought ah-ha! what if! but when i make bread by hand with beans mixed with gluten, something in the bean flour breaks down the gluten after about 30 minutes and it falls. so i've taken to adding like 56g's active dry yeast, speed rising and getting it in the oven to bake as quick as possible. which gets me by, but due to circumstances outside my control, should i invest in a bread maker? think it would work?

and by all means if any one knows how to produce stable gluten with bean flour vital wheat gluten? let me know! (perfectly complete protein! taste good? i like my navy bean pita pockets with spinach and peperocini?)

edit: once again you guys are non-stop fun, what if i kiln the beans before milling to try and denature what ever enzyme is breaking down the gluten! :mug:

but i'd have to saok them first then, just re dry wouldn't i? :mug: off to the lab/kitchen

Made some sourdough Borodinsky rye following this recipe: Russian Sourdough Borodinsky Bread {rye + coriander} | Beets & Bones

I didn't have rye malt powder, so I took some crystal rye malt, ground it in a mortar, and filtered it through a fine mesh. Worked great! The resulting bread has a great balance of sweet, sour, and savory flavors and since it's 100% rye, that rye flavor is really in your face (which I love). The crumb is pretty moist but not gummy.

TgZCtla.jpg

dYCqsHw.jpg

I hope this is the right place to ask my question... I made a sourdough starter using the breadtopia instructions. The start is very active and makes good bread but it is not very sour. Is there a way to make to starter more sour or am I better to just start over?
Thanks-

Back