Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess the trick there is I have no favorite no knead recipe, as I've never tried it yet.

Ah! As someone said, they are all over.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread

And just add a handful of grains when mixing. I usually freeze them, so then thaw some, squeeze the water out, and add it in. I don't usually do no-knead bread, so I make the bread and knead it, and then work in the grains at the end. If you're not kneading, add them when you're mixing.

thanks everyone. I was pretty skeptical of some no knead bread recipes, but I can see that it shoul dbe painfully easy to make some decent sandwich loaf.

I like a simple, no-knead crusty bread. This is my recipe:
3 cups flour, 2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. bread yeast. Mix dry ingredients together in bowl, add 1-1/2 cups slightly warm water, mix in well. Cover bowl and let it sit on the counter 8-10 hours to rise. Pre-heat oven to 450F. With some flour, form dough into a ball and drop into a small, greased, round pot or dutch oven. Cover and set on middle rack in oven for 30 minutes. Remove cover and continue to bake an additional 15-20 minutes, until the top is a deep golden brown. Remove from oven and drop out of dutch oven. Let it cool a while and serve. Easy-peasy.

My boule today:

bread2.jpg

bread.jpg

I like a simple, no-knead crusty bread. This is my recipe:
3 cups flour, 2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. bread yeast. Mix dry ingredients together in bowl, add 1-1/2 cups slightly warm water, mix in well. Cover bowl and let it sit on the counter 8-10 hours to rise. Pre-heat oven to 450F. With some flour, form dough into a ball and drop into a small, greased, round pot or dutch oven. Cover and set on middle rack in oven for 30 minutes. Remove cover and continue to bake an additional 15-20 minutes, until the top is a deep golden brown. Remove from oven and drop out of dutch oven. Let it cool a while and serve. Easy-peasy.

My boule today:

So do you not let it rise a second time once it's in the dutch oven before you bake it?

A buddy of mine and I just made some bread with spent grain from a porter I just did and it came out great!

Wondering if anyone has ever used beer yeast in the bread as well?

If there is a thread on this somewhere please point me to it.

Cheers,

Scott

A buddy of mine and I just made some bread with spent grain from a porter I just did and it came out great!

Cheers,

Scott

I have and it's a little weird. Just like bread yeast isn't best for beer.

Cheers,

Scott

I have and it's a little weird. Just like bread yeast isn't best for beer.

View attachment IMG_8907.jpg

I'm trying the "artisan bread in 5 minutes a day" technique, but using my usual basic ***** dough. I used half the amount of yeast, but it still rose in the refrigerator to quadruple volume overnight. I punched it down and it came back.

What surprised me is that the loaf didn't rise much before baking, but then puffed up into a football in the oven. I put it on parchment with cornmeal, and sprinkled it with wheat bran and oat flour, so it's crunchy.

I have 3 pounds of dough, probably making 12 oz loaves when it's just 2 of us.

No knead sourdough loaf using FWP Mathews Cotswold Crunch flour - not used it before, gives a granary bread with lots of malted grain flavour. I'd probably cut it back to 50% next time, it's a bit much for me. Also I forgot to score the top when I put it in the oven . Doh!

3qAnuY4.jpg

No knead sourdough loaf using FWP Mathews Cotswold Crunch flour - not used it before, gives a granary bread with lots of malted grain flavour. I'd probably cut it back to 50% next time, it's a bit much for me. Also I forgot to score the top when I put it in the oven . Doh!

3qAnuY4.jpg

That looks great, cracks and all! Care to post the recipe?

700g FWP mathews cotswold crunch http://www.fwpmatthews.co.uk/product/cotswold-crunch-flour/
450g water
15g salt
100g sourdough starter - this hadn't been fed and was just out of my fridge so I added a pinch of IDY too

12 hours in the mixing bowl, folded a couple of times and shaped then left to rise for another 3 hours. Put in preheated cast iron casserole dish @ 220c for 30 mins, removed lid and baked for another 15min @ 180c

700g FWP mathews cotswold crunch http://www.fwpmatthews.co.uk/product/cotswold-crunch-flour/
450g water
15g salt
100g sourdough starter - this hadn't been fed and was just out of my fridge so I added a pinch of IDY too

12 hours in the mixing bowl, folded a couple of times and shaped then left to rise for another 3 hours. Put in preheated cast iron casserole dish @ 220c for 30 mins, removed lid and baked for another 15min @ 180c

Thank you!

Don't know if I can get the Cotswold Crunch here in the US, but if not I'll try to find a substitute.

I threw some S-04 into a sourdough culture when building it up once. Hard to tell if it survived past the first generation, but I figured "the more, the merrier" with a mixed culture.

I'm new to breadmaking, and have baked only a few loaves so far. One question: Does anyone add a little DME to the dough mix? I've heard of it being done, but I'm not finding much useful info about that online. How much DME do you add and what does it do for the bread?

I realize there is also a diastatic malt powder, a whole different animal. I'm inquiring about DME.

I replaced the sugar in a white bread recipe with DME once. Can't remember which I used but it wasn't a dark DME. Jury of bread eaters said it camouflaged the yeast character in the finished loaf.

I'm new to breadmaking, and have baked only a few loaves so far. One question: Does anyone add a little DME to the dough mix? I've heard of it being done, but I'm not finding much useful info about that online. How much DME do you add and what does it do for the bread?

DME is sugar/yeast food so that is what causes it to rise. It has unfermentable sugars so it will probably make it a little sweeter. The substitution rate for table sugar is 1:1.46.

I realize there is also a diastatic malt powder, a whole different animal. I'm inquiring about DME.

I do this all the time. I use 2 TB DME (Golden Light or Pils) when I proof the yeast in water. Sometimes there is a very slight aroma that is different from when I use sugar.

It does have more of the bigger sugars, but bread yeast also eats regular flour (in brewing terms, that's all unconverted starch), and you can make bread with no sugar at all if you want. But you might end up with some sweetness.

In bread making this would generally be referred to as non-diastatic malt powder. It is used primarily as a flavor/aroma component, particularly in bagel making. It's contribution is distinct, and is generally use in very small bakers percentages of 1.5%± (i.e. 15g DME to 1000g total flour). It may also serve as food for yeast but that's not it's primary purpose - that's what the flour is for.

Thank you!

Don't know if I can get the Cotswold Crunch here in the US, but if not I'll try to find a substitute.

You might try using a coffee/spice grinder to mill some flaked wheat and maybe even some 2 row (malt flour??). Just to add a little extra.

You might try using a coffee/spice grinder to mill some flaked wheat and maybe even some 2 row (malt flour??). Just to add a little extra.

Keep the % low if you are added malted wheat. Not sure how malted barley will do. But I added some malted wheat to my whole wheat recipe. I used 10% ground with the wheat berries for flour. The first time the center was very doughy. So next time I baked for an extra 30 minutes on top of the normal 50 and checked the center temp, it was 202. Still doughy in the center.

Have not tried since. Seems you would have to get low enough that it would not really add much considering the flavor of whole wheat.

Keep the % low if you are added malted wheat. Not sure how malted barley will do. But I added some malted wheat to my whole wheat recipe. I used 10% ground with the wheat berries for flour. The first time the center was very doughy. So next time I baked for an extra 30 minutes on top of the normal 50 and checked the center temp, it was 202. Still doughy in the center.

Have not tried since. Seems you would have to get low enough that it would not really add much considering the flavor of whole wheat.

Doughy at 202 seems like something is definitely off. I don't know why that would be.

IMG_9114.jpg

I have a bucket of dough In the fridge, and I make a couple loaves a week. Usually 12 ounces. Then I add the last bit to the next batch. It got a little tangy after 2 weeks.

Been working with this no knead bread recipe. Just changed loaf pans and will need to scale up the recipe by 25% I think to get the right height.
IMG_1119.jpg

So I've heard of making beer with bread yeast, but has anyone tried it the other way around?
I'm tasked with making bread for today, and I realized I have maybe a third of the yeast I need for my bread recipe. I do have packets of dry S-04 and S-05 beer yeast, plus some 1056 in the fridge from a batch I harvested. Can I use those to supplement the bread yeast and do I need to make any changes?

Last edited:
So I've heard of making beer with bread yeast, but has anyone tried it the other way around?
I'm tasked with making bread for today, and I realized I have maybe a third of the yeast I need for my bread recipe. I do have packets of dry S-04 and S-05 beer yeast, plus some 1056 in the fridge from a batch I harvested. Can I use those to supplement the bread yeast and do I need to make any changes?

It will work. I would use a fresh pack, though.

Back