Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hand shaped Kaiser rolls for Sunday brunch egg sandwiches.

image.jpeg

I made a couple small loaves of Ericbw's pumpkin challah today. They look a lot nicer in person (I'm using the mobile app and my phone's camera kinda stinks) and they smell/taste great. Thanks for the recipe!

Very nice!!

The sour was a lambic-style with ~ 2 IBUs of aged hops. I had a few sourdough starters going simultaneously and added the dregs to one and ended up using that for the first loaves.

Put it in a round pan or oblong pan and just embrace the blowouts as a unique part of the art of bread.

That's like saying fill your fermenter to the brim, put it in a big tub, and embrace the blowoff. No, you should use a blowoff tube and not fill it so much.

Anyway, to @Hoppy2bmerry , it looks like the loaf was too big for the pan, plus not slashed deep enough.

Anyway, to @Hoppy2bmerry , it looks like the loaf was too big for the pan, plus not slashed deep enough.

Yes indeed, it looks that way, I have been forming a loaf and leaving it on parchment to bake just wanted a loaf this time... Perhaps I'll get a proofing basket. Practice, practice, practice.

Had a brew day today... Spent grain bread.

I have a bunch of 1/4 cup Tupperware containers. After a brewday I fill a dozen of them and pop them in the freezer, then defrost one when I am making a 2 pound loaf. Just adding a quarter cup makes a tasty loaf but I'd like to use more if possible. What's your recipe?

I have a bunch of 1/4 cup Tupperware containers. After a brewday I fill a dozen of them and pop them in the freezer, then defrost one when I am making a 2 pound loaf. Just adding a quarter cup makes a tasty loaf but I'd like to use more if possible. What's your recipe?

Sure, this recipie has been the best for me:
Spent grain bread double batch

2 cups minus 2Tbs water
2 eggs
4 tsp sugar
2 tsp dry yeast or 2pkts
3 cups bread flour
3 cups all purpose flour + bench flour
2 tsp salt
1 cup well squeezed spent grains
2 Tbs softened butter for dough, 1Tbs for top (melted)

Proof yeast 5-10 mins in warm water and sugar

Measure and mix flour and salt while yeast is proofing

Beat eggs add eggs and liquid with yeast to stand mixer using dough hook. Add the flour and salt let mix, before fully incorporated add grains continue mixing until somewhat sticky ball is formed. Knead with bench flour until smooth and feels / behaves "right".

Oil a bowl and let dough rise about an hour to double.

Deflate dough divide in half shape into a loaf gently kneading and place in lightly greased pans (coconut oil) cover with oiled Saran to let rise 40 mins.

20 mins into the second rise preheat oven to 410F ... Split and butter loaves moments before going into the oven ... Throw a couple oz of water to create steam, bake 40 mins until they sound hollow or are 200F internal temp and probe is clean.

I included the image so you could see what doubling the spent grains would look like. :) enjoy and give some feedback if you wish to.

image.jpg

I made a sourdough loaf using these teques and it came out pretty good. The flavor is great and the texture is better but the large holes are still missing. Hopefully I can improve on this as I get more practice.

Some thoughts from your pictures:
1. Did you follow the loaf recipe too? Not sure if its your camera or lighting, but the loaf color looks off a little. The crumb should be very white. Are you using bread flour? What kind?

2. Are you letting it rise flat on the counter or do you have it in a proofing bowl of some sort?

3. Are you steaming it when you bake?

Some thoughts from your pictures:
1. Did you follow the loaf recipe too? Not sure if its your camera or lighting, but the loaf color looks off a little. The crumb should be very white. Are you using bread flour? What kind?

I ended up following these instructions: https://www.theperfectloaf.com/beginners-sourdough-bread/

I only made half of the recipe (1 loaf).

I used King Arthur white bread flour (~82% as indicated in the recipe), the balance is Prairie Gold white whole wheat flour.

The starter is 100% white whole wheat.

2. Are you letting it rise flat on the counter or do you have it in a proofing bowl of some sort?

I used a Pyrex bowl with a fairly round shape for all ferments/rising periods. During the overnight ferment I lined the bowl with a flour dusted cloth.

3. Are you steaming it when you bake?

Yes. I placed a casserole in the oven with hot water in it (hot going in prior to the preheat) on the rack below the bread and sprayed the oven walls with water right after putting the bread into the oven.

Baked at 450°F until the crumb measured ~195°F (about 25 or 30 minutes) on an inverted baking sheet with parchment. I don't have a suitable dutch oven to use for this but it is on my list of things to buy.

I ended up following these instructions: https://www.theperfectloaf.com/beginners-sourdough-bread/

I only made half of the recipe (1 loaf).

I used King Arthur white bread flour (~82% as indicated in the recipe), the balance is Prairie Gold white whole wheat flour.

The starter is 100% white whole wheat.

I used a Pyrex bowl with a fairly round shape for all ferments/rising periods. During the overnight ferment I lined the bowl with a flour dusted cloth.

Yes. I placed a casserole in the oven with hot water in it (hot going in prior to the preheat) on the rack below the bread and sprayed the oven walls with water right after putting the bread into the oven.

Baked at 450°F until the crumb measured ~195°F (about 25 or 30 minutes) on an inverted baking sheet with parchment. I don't have a suitable dutch oven to use for this but it is on my list of things to buy.

Try making a 100% KA Bread Flour loaf and see how it turns out. I find that even a small sub of whole wheat, even white whole wheat, has a negative impact on the crumb structure.

How new is your culture? Mine couldn't raise a loaf decently until it had been fed twice a day for about 3 weeks. Also i think most of the instructions i've seen call for switching to regular flour in your main starter once it's established. I feed mine KA AP because its cheaper than KA Bread here. When it's time to make a loaf i'll take a small chunk of the main starter and mix it in with whatever my other flours are and go from there.

Back