Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Onion bagels. First time making them, turned out pretty delicious...

IMG_20161116_181805.jpg

I just made another attempt at spent grain bread. I wish the yeast had been a little more active and I should probably have left it in the oven for a few more minutes. Taste seems alright, though.

IMG_20161204_191742294.jpg

I just made another attempt at spent grain bread. I wish the yeast had been a little more active and I should probably have left it in the oven for a few more minutes. Taste seems alright, though.

What yeast did you use and how long did you allow it to do it's thing?

As far as in the oven for a few more minutes, stick a thermometer in it, 200F and it's done:mug:

@ChefRex I used a tablespoon of the red lidded Red Star active dry yeast. I gave it about 2 hours. I would have used the blue lidded bread machine yeast, but I put half the dough in the fridge and when I know I'm not going to bake it right away I try not to use the blue lid. No particular reason why, I've just been doing some comparisons lately so I have both.

Winged this one as far as the recipe went. I guess its a Sugar Plum bread, although its more of a cross between a bread and a honey crumbcake. Freshly ground clove, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Chopped dried plums, apricots, and figs. Then did a caramelized brown sugar topping. Dynamite with some apple butter.

15284099_1044947775651310_8952158309079154279_n.jpg

15232254_1044961615649926_5795828069492050495_n.jpg

Nice! Do yours separate into pockets ok? Mine don't make the pockets like the store bought versions have.

I think if you bake them instead of pan frying, they will puff into pockets. I think. I pan fry.

Onion rye. Made the sponge with rye flour and sourdough starter added the rest of the ingredients and some yeast this morning. It split on the sides during baking. I threw about an ounce of water in the oven to steam and used an egg wash. Picture perfect accept for the blow out. Oh oven was set for 410F, any ideas?

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Onion rye. Made the sponge with rye flour and sourdough starter added the rest of the ingredients and some yeast this morning. It split on the sides during baking. I threw about an ounce of water in the oven to steam and used an egg wash. Picture perfect accept for the blow out. Oh oven was set for 410F, any ideas?

If it's not risen all the way, it could blow out.

Two other potential culprits:

Insufficient scoring - other than being pretty, the cuts are meant to provide the bread with an easy/preferred expansion point during the bake. If it doesn't have enough room to expand there, it will blow out somewhere else.

Plenty of steam in the oven will also delay the setting of the crust, giving it more time to expand. Recently I've been using a sheet tray with a couple rolled up kitchen towels, well soaked in boiling water. Add this to the oven ~10 minutes before putting your bread in.

@BGBC Thanks sometimes I just use a spray bottle and hit the oven sides and floor, this is the first time I've had a blowout like this. The towels sound like a good idea. Another score wouldn't hurt. It doesn't change the taste;) thanks again for your thoughts, and advice.

Back