Home security system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treacheroustexan

Reaction score
What are all of you using for home security systems? I'm looking for a system with two outdoor cameras, and maybe something to go on the doors and windows that sets off an alarm when opened. I really want something reliable so cost isn't an issue. There are just so many options out there, and I am clueless. Thanks in advance!

I have ADT a property still and then I moved on others to Simplisafe. You install SS yourself but the quantity of sensors you get plus the discounted rate is far better then ADT. For camera's I use NEST's. I tried using the Amazon 6 camera to a box and it was all very glitchy and no cloud backup. Arlo has a new product that is looking promising for the cost.

I use arlo cameras. If I can set them up anyone can. It is not tied to the alarm system but the pro camera has an audio feature that can activate/notify me if there is a sound inside/outside the house.

I would like to use land mines and a moat filled with alligators but that would be frowned upon. And the alligators would be expensive to keep alive if they didn't get enough criminals.

I love my Blink cameras but will readily admit it is the cheap way out. It has been very effective at keeping the thieves out of my beer fridge though.

dog and guns.

dog barks before they even get close to the door or windows. guns for if they decide to try and open a locked door or window.

Those Rolladen shutters look like a neat product.. Do you know if they are rated for hurricane or tornado winds

I just got out of a 3 year contract with Protect America and switched to Abode.

Protect America sent us junk equipment. The fire alarm was constantly going off; sometimes for no reason. Finally, the Fire Chief inspected the smoke alarms and they were expired before we even received them. Getting them swapped out took multiple phone calls and was a PITA with customer service. Speaking of customer service, you have to have them online when you set everything up. I ended up on hold for a good hour. It certainly wasn't that way when I talked to the sales department. It seems the sales department is overmanned but once you ink that contract and need tech support, good luck.

With Abode, there is no contract. You pay up front for the equipment but you pay nothing for monitoring because you are basically doing the monitoring yourself which I prefer. If you would like monitoring services, they have that option as well either on a temporary or permanent basis. Abode integrates with other products on the market such as Nest who makes pretty nice cameras. I'm starting to learn about IFTTT which is pretty cool. You can set up rules like receiving a phone call when the alarm is triggered.

Edit - One last thing to consider, if you spec out your own system, rather than having a sensor on every single door/window, a motion sensor can cover a lot of ground and also takes into account if they gain entry by breaking a window (glass break sensors are optional too).

I use Simplisafe for my alarm system but was also looking into getting a surveillance system. I'll look into those Arlos a few of you suggested. Those Rolladen shutters look cool but would probably suck during an earthquake.

I use simplisafe for my alarm system. I don't have cameras. No problems would recommend.

I use simplisafe for my alarm system. I don't have cameras. No problems would recommend.

I like cameras for the visual deterrent more than anything. I would much rather a potential robber see the camera and move on to an easier target than deal with broken windows and maybe/might not catching him.

Just wanted to follow up. I installed my new simplisafe system today. Thanks for the recommendations! We found a great deal on the package at Target and it came with an indoor camera. Beat all of the online prices. We are doing the $24.99/month monitoring and it seemed like a great option compared to the competitors.

I know that the local PD hates them, they are tough enough to withstand most forced entry short of det cord around the frame.

HAHA! As a fireman I take this as a challenge! Forcible entry is our game. I haven't met a door, window or building that hasn't failed in minutes but typically faster.

These do look like nice shutters but ultimately can be penetrated And definitely without det cord. Det cord just makes it more fun. :mug::ban:

More on topic, I have been looking at the RING brand wireless cameras with solar panels for some exterior monitoring. I like the battery and solar combination. I live in one of the ****iest cities in AZ and really need to get some security setup besides the ole lock and window bar setup.

I got a SimpliSafe for a long time now. I got a locksmith service to do maintenance and regular checkups to it and I am impressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
On topic, I've been through ADT, then Brighthouse (local cable co did security monitoring for a while), and now back to ADT. ADT really stepped up their game with the entry module, which is a fancy LCD screen thing, and with their mobile app.

The monthly monitoring fee costs less than the discount we get from the homeowners insurance, so it's essentially free. We have a zillion sensors (all the windows, doors, glass breakage, attic access, smoke, you name it. We even have sensors that let us know when the garage doors (2) open. To be honest, I don't care much about the whole system, can't say I've ever armed it myself, but the wife sure likes it.

Obviously, Clearwater ain't boonies :)

Out here where the deer, cows and horses outnumber humans by a far piece and the police blotter is full of stuff like "turtle crossing notice" and "watch out for the wild turkey flock on Taylor Road" the local populace doesn't put much into high tech security systems. Folks that bother might stick a Ring where their doorbell button used to be, but that's nearly cutting edge stuff here.

There ain't much of interest out here for nefarious types that they couldn't get a lot closer to home - and save the gas money...

Cheers!

Go read Truman Capote's In Cold Blood. Then tell me how safe the boonies are.
Whatever you say, Florida Man. :rolleyes:

There aren’t too many places in the Lower 48 more isolated than where my farm is located. The most recent homicide even remotely close to us occurred during a botched robbery at a bar about 40 miles east of here in 1977 or 78. We probably have a better chance of getting struck by a meteor while hiding under the bed during the Zombie Apocalypse than we do of being murdered in our home in this part of the world.

In addition, the nearest law enforcement is, literally, 45 minutes away. If a security system alerted the 911 dispatcher of a break-in, what do we do while waiting? Offer the perp a homebrew?

Hmm. I am not sure you still need a recommendation but I will share my find in the security sphere. I will talk about the Ajax security system. I guess this brand did not exist in 2013 but it definitely does in 2021. Moreover, it won a prize for the best security product in 2020. It is a motion cam. I got it last year as well. Now I don't understand why people install a number of cameras. Then they have to monitor them regularly. I use that motion cam and the system notifies me in the brand app if it detects any movement. It makes my life easier for sure!

For me, my home security is a top priority. So, I think it's great that you're taking steps to ensure your safety. Two outdoor cameras and door/window alarms are solid choices.

I would like to use land mines and a moat filled with alligators but that would be frowned upon. And the alligators would be expensive to keep alive if they didn't get enough criminals.
Don't forget the sniper towers so that you can provide the alligator with food that won't fight back. LOL I say this to my wife all the time.

I am a 911 Dispatcher for a local PD and have found that most alarm companies are slow in their response to calling PD after an activation has triggered the alarm. For us, most of the time, the thieves have already been and gone with whatever they could grab. The alarm does scare them off somewhat, but I think they are getting to know that there is a delay in the companies calling us and us getting people out to check it out. I have not added camera's to our house yet as I have a retired cop living next to me who is very alert to what is going on in the area. With that being said, I have looked at different camera set ups and Arlo seems to put out a good product. Have not pulled the trigger on them yet as I am still looking into the setup and different features. Good luck.

Back