holy grapefruit, batman

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

TrannyRock

Reaction score
I just tried a hydrometer sample of an Amarillo IPA that's a week in, and it's REALLY grapefruity. I only used an ounce of Amarillo with 15 min left in the boil (boiled an ounce of Galena for 60 min). Will the grapefuit flavor (particularly the bitter-fruity back end) subside with time?

I was thinking about dry-hopping this with another ounce of Amarillo, now I'm not too sure.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It will mellow considerably.

The astringency you taste will fade away after a few weeks to a nicer, more mellow character.

How severe the taste is going forward is relative to your exposure to American hops. My IIPA I brewed last night had eight separate 1 ounce additions (centennial, cascade, nugget, columbus, amarillo, crystal,) throughout the boil.

I'm also dry hopping with 3 more ounces. :D

I don't expect it to be drinkable until June.

StoutFan

Reaction score
Now, will the punch of all the hop flavor also fade in time, or just the bite?

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It'll fade some. I like amarillo hops, so I've always finished drinking the batch before it mellowed, though, so I can't tell you how much. Still, once it's aged a little bit and bottled and carbed up, it'll be less "in your face".

jerrysfinger

Reaction score
How close to cascade are amarillo? I brewed up a batch two weeks ago and it has 2oz cascade 1oz fuggles and I'm dry hopping with amarillo.

I like amarillo hops, so I've always finished drinking the batch before it mellowed
And I'm glad to see a senior member admit they tear into beer before its totally done also :D

StoutFan

Reaction score
Green beer in a whole other sense. :D Dry hopped Amarillo, reminds me of summers in Miami........

david_42

Reaction score
Amarillo is a Cascade sport. It has more of a grapefruit character than Cascades.