holy grapefruit, batman

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrannyRock

Reaction score
I just tried a hydrometer sample of an Amarillo IPA that's a week in, and it's REALLY grapefruity. I only used an ounce of Amarillo with 15 min left in the boil (boiled an ounce of Galena for 60 min). Will the grapefuit flavor (particularly the bitter-fruity back end) subside with time?

I was thinking about dry-hopping this with another ounce of Amarillo, now I'm not too sure.

It will mellow considerably.

The astringency you taste will fade away after a few weeks to a nicer, more mellow character.

How severe the taste is going forward is relative to your exposure to American hops. My IIPA I brewed last night had eight separate 1 ounce additions (centennial, cascade, nugget, columbus, amarillo, crystal,) throughout the boil.

I'm also dry hopping with 3 more ounces. :D

I don't expect it to be drinkable until June.

It'll fade some. I like amarillo hops, so I've always finished drinking the batch before it mellowed, though, so I can't tell you how much. Still, once it's aged a little bit and bottled and carbed up, it'll be less "in your face".

How close to cascade are amarillo? I brewed up a batch two weeks ago and it has 2oz cascade 1oz fuggles and I'm dry hopping with amarillo.

I like amarillo hops, so I've always finished drinking the batch before it mellowed

And I'm glad to see a senior member admit they tear into beer before its totally done also :D

Green beer in a whole other sense. :D Dry hopped Amarillo, reminds me of summers in Miami........

Back