Holy attenuation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ilan34

Reaction score
I brewed a very close relative of Saison d'Raison from Brewing Classic Styles, using Wyeast 3711. My OG was 1.063. I just took my first gravity 12 days after brewday:

By far, my driest beer (and my first Saison). And it tastes so damn good already! There's really no point to this post other than to say that 3711 is very much the monster I've heard about, and wow, is that the norm?? I really didn't expect anything lower than 1.006.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I have held off using 3711 as a primary Saison strain because I find the flavor lacking even though it's easy to work with. But holding fermentation in the mid 70s, I've always gone from a similar OG (1.060-1.065 to a similar FG (1.002-1.005). I'll still use it to dry out a Saison if a different strain didn't go down far enough.

Welp, if 3711 isn't known for its flavor, I can't wait to use the Dupont strain!

Not to hijack your thread, but I brewed a amber ale and used washed Wyeast American Ale. FG was .07 and expected gravity was .12. Beer is quite dry and the lack of sweetness lends to an overpowering bitterness.

In the past this strain has always given me a FG of .12 to .14, why would it go so low this time?

Not to hijack your thread, but I brewed a amber ale and used washed Wyeast American Ale. FG was .07 and expected gravity was .12. Beer is quite dry and the lack of sweetness lends to an overpowering bitterness.

In the past this strain has always given me a FG of .12 to .14, why would it go so low this time?

What temperature did you mash at? How sure are you that your thermometer is properly calibrated?

Latest posts

Back