Hockey is BACK!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuffaloSabresBrewer

Reaction score
Ya I know the season technically already started but its not real until the champions raise their banner and Lord Stanley's Cup goes out the back door and is back up for grabs.
To Detroit: I hope you enjoyed your summer. Now its time to defend you title.
Good luck to everyone thats a fan...not really...I hope every goalie on your roster pulls his groin all the way down to your AHL team and every forward breaks his arm!

Keep 'yer sticks on the ice!

My new year's is always the start of the football season. But I love the start of hockey as it signifies the boys summer are officially packing it in and sport is once again dominated by men.
Go B's

Only rarely do I wish for better cable TV where we live. I don't even turn the TV on most of the time- but when I do, it's so disappointing to not be able to watch hockey games! I doubt our rural area will ever carry channels like Versus.

Oh yea, BSB, I forgot to throw an "eh" in my last response, its only fitting.

Yooper: Thats a bummer! Sign up for the streaming broadcasts online and rig up an output to the TV!

SWMBO and I are huge Sabres fans and can't wait for tomorrow night!! I have a batch of Irish Red that is just ready to drink(as of last night) and will chilling a few bombers of it down for the occasion. Here's to having a permanent captain ~ welcome to Buffalo Rivet!! :tank:

I've never paid too much attention to hockey, but I get to a Sharks game now and then. It's a real blast! Best game in person probably, even though I don't know the players or the game very well.

My oldest son has become a huge fan for some reason, so I've pledged to myself to really bone up and try to get into it this year.

So, with that, Eat Poo Ducks! or whoever. Sharks RULE!!

And I'm now doing that shark bite thingy with my hands.:rockin:

it's a shame that detroit couldn't overcome the forward press of the leafs tonite but that's what happens when you face a team 3 times in a week

GO BUFFALO!!!!
Just watched the first of Calgary and Vancouver. Calgary was looking pretty good but Vancouvers D was all about the shutdown on a few powerplays. We shall see the score tomorrow.

GO SABRES!!!!!!!!!

I'm loving it!

Vancouver looks surprisingly good this year. Very promising. We don't need Sundin.

GO CANUCKS GO!

I feel pretty spoiled. All 82 Canuck's regular season games are available to watch on TV, and ~75 of them in HD. We even had 3 of 7 pre-season games televised.

Vancouver could be the dark horse this year. 6-0-1 in pre-season, and a 6-0 drubbing of the flames to start the season.

Go 'nucks :mug:

I feel pretty spoiled. All 82 Canuck's regular season games are available to watch on TV, and ~75 of them in HD. We even had 3 of 7 pre-season games televised.

Vancouver could be the dark horse this year. 6-0-1 in pre-season, and a 6-0 drubbing of the flames to start the season.

Go 'nucks :mug:

I hear ya on the TV. Being a Hawks fan, this is the 1st year in my lifetime that ALL games will be on local TV (except for the games on VS, I still don't get that) Bad thing is, I work afternoon shift now, and will have to watch recorded games later after work.

Don't get too confident on the preseason record though.
Hawks had 7-1 or something preseason a couple years back and look where it got 'em that year.
Nowhere.

Hope you get to some games in the great GM Place.

My new year's is always the start of the football season. But I love the start of hockey as it signifies the boys summer are officially packing it in and sport is once again dominated by men.
Go B's
5-4 last night! D looked a little weak, but a win is a win. Bergeron is back which is huge, but I still can't stand Wideman. He's worthless in my opinion.

I can't even find a streaming broadcast- "not available in your area" is all I get!
Why not get center ice?

Where I am in CT we can't get NESN, so I have to get Center Ice.

My gf is also a Habs fan. It gets a bit intense when her and I are watching bruins-canadiens games. We already have tickets for one of the thursday night games in boston. Can't wait!!

Why not get center ice?

Where I am in CT we can't get NESN, so I have to get Center Ice.

That's funny- I have no idea what you are talking about. We have a local cable provider (our city) so we do get some TV channels. We have NO local TV stations, not within 100 miles or so anyway. There is one about 100 miles away, and the next closest would be Green Bay, WI, I think- about 150 miles away. We now get ESPN, CNN and Detroit FSN for our "premium" channels. That's it.
I know I could get a dish, but it doesn't make sense to me to spend that much for hockey games.

Anyway, I would have liked to see the Wings start with a W, but I'm just glad the season started.

(Our rink will have ice this weekend- our team practices start Monday!)

Yikes, that's like where my gf is from in VT. They couldn't get any stations until this past year. Now they get CBC and NESN :(

Center ice was $159 this year for early bird. Sucks, but I'd rather have something to watch then complain about how much I hate CT, even though it is a reoccuring situation.

I don't get into Pro Hockey much. I spend too much time at the local rinks, watching the Junior High and varisty High School teams. $40 bucks for a season pass gets me access to over 500 games across 5 counties. There are some really crappy one-sided games but there are some that are some that are outstanding hockey. A couple of seasons ago 5 of 7 playoff games i saw went to OT and then a shootout.

As a Blues fan I am looking forward to another dismal year.

Eric Johnson, our young stud, jacked up his knee playing golf* a couple weeks ago. We don't really have another D man who can skate the puck out of the zone. Our season has ended before it began. At least we've got some other young talent to watch develop.

* golf is the official story, more likely is drunken bumper-golf-carts

Yikes, that's like where my gf is from in VT. They couldn't get any stations until this past year. Now they get CBC and NESN :(

Center ice was $159 this year for early bird. Sucks, but I'd rather have something to watch then complain about how much I hate CT, even though it is a reoccuring situation.
Joe, DirecTV. Get it. I didn't have NESN when I first moved to CT and went DirecTV. All the Sox games and most Bruins games. Not to mention umpteem million other things that I'll never watch.

NHL.com - News: President Bush hosts Red Wings and Stanley Cup - 10/10/2008
NEW YORK – President George W. Bush will honor the 2008 Stanley Cup Champion Detroit Red Wings during a ceremony in the East Room of The White House on Tuesday, Oct. 14, at 2:30 p.m., ET.

Members of the 2008 Red Wings, led by team captain Nicklas Lidstrom, will gather at The White House for the ceremony. National Hockey League Commissioner Gary Bettman, Red Wings Owners Mike and Marian Ilitch, General Manager Ken Holland and Detroit Head Coach Mike Babcock also are scheduled to attend.

The Detroit Red Wings won their 11th Stanley Cup in June when they defeated the Pittsburgh Penguins in a six-game Stanley Cup Final series.
WTF!?!?!?!
A little late you stupid ******** its not Detroit's Cup anymore!
I hate Gary Bettman!

Joe, DirecTV. Get it. I didn't have NESN when I first moved to CT and went DirecTV. All the Sox games and most Bruins games. Not to mention umpteem million other things that I'll never watch.

Hmmmm.... that may be a good idea. My contract with charter is up in November. The only thing is that Charter also gives me internet (for 14.99 a month I might add) so it may be a toss-up.

i just happened back onto this game [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7DlAjrhm9s]YouTube - Detroit Red Wings vs Colorado Av's (FULL '97 brawl)[/ame]

can't believe it's been that long!

Dear Pittsburgh,

Thank you for reaching the finals last year to demonstrate what a great franchise we are to one, Mr. Marian Hossa. We appreciate that we are able to offer him less money to play for us than you.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZXMUb1V0Qk]YouTube - Marian Hossa Goal Oct 24 2008 Against Atlanta[/ame]

Sincerely,
The Detroit Red Wings

Yeah, Hossa is working out pretty good. He's just starting to click with the rest of his teammates. I'm still a bit giddy about that deal. Hopefully he will find a good team next year when our salary cap won't allow him to play for us again...

Hey, maybe the Avs could pick him up?

Wooooooooooooooo hockey! Go Avs!
Agreed!

Unfortunately, in the last couple of years, we've seen how critical Pierre Lacroix' skill in recruiting players was to the success of the Avalanche in the late '90's. Hopefully, the younger generation will pick up a bit, and we can stop just hoping in every offseason that Joe Sakic will return for one more season.

Man, Wings have been off for nearly a week. They play tomorrow, but it seems like forever. At least they are back from the long-ass West-coast trip. I cna't stay up that late to watch those games. They should adjust the schedule to accomodate the east teams a bit more.

Thank you Boston Bruins for taking the ever crappy Dennis Wideman off our hands and giving us golden boy Brad Boyes. The Blues are finally getting somewhat interesting to watch. Now all we need to do is not have a player get hurt EVERY game!

Thank you Boston Bruins for taking the ever crappy Dennis Wideman off our hands and giving us golden boy Brad Boyes.

Wideman is not at all crappy. With EJ gone for the season, the Blues are in desperate need of a d-man, like Wideman, who can carry the puck.

Oh, and wasn't that Boyes, who with 1:30 left in the 3rd last night, turned the puck over to the Sharks, who then scored the tying goal?

That said, I do believe the Blues got the better part of the deal.

Back