Hmmm, haven't seen this on my beer before

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjbalough

Reaction score
Photo says 1,000 words, can you help me interpret them? Irish red, all grain, harvested white labs 007. Beer had a strong sulfur odor to it. Cold crashed, now this....still a slight sulfur odor/taste but not too bad.

The hole in the surface film was from taking a sample. Sample is not clear at all, kind of a fresh cider look to it. "Cold crash" is a swamp cooler at 45-50f

View attachment 1456887933986.jpg

Looks like lacto infection to me. Do you keg or bottle? I'd package from under the film and drink qyick either way. High carb levels could be an issue if you bottle. A very thorough clean and inspection of gear will be in order afterwords.

Looks like lacto infection to me. Do you keg or bottle? I'd package from under the film and drink qyick either way. High carb levels could be an issue if you bottle. A very thorough clean and inspection of gear will be in order afterwords.

2nd-ed. I've had this happen to me before. (In a brand new fermenter, ugh) You've got a lot more leeway if you keg, and then can keep the keg cold until it's gone. Lactobacilli aren't going to be growing much at refrigerator temps.

I go back and forth between sour beers and clean beers in the same plastic container. It's doable, but you just need to be aware that if you do miss some bit somewhere, you can get an infection.

Yup, that's a familiar sight! Had seven batches in a row do that to me before I got rid of every piece of plastic I own.

It was probably overkill but I honestly couldn't pinpoint the particular piece.

Thanks. I just ordered 2 new buckets &/lids and a stainless steel turkey baster to replace my wine thief. Can't think of anything other than the bucket and wine thief that touched the wort/beer when cold. One of my three Christmas batches ended up making giusers....thinking it was the same fermentor, but replacing both just in case.

What do I do if I wanted to sour this as an experiment? Not sure I'd even care for a soir beer.

It is an infection, however, it cannot be identified by the look of the pellicle. The only way to identify it is with a microscope and a degree in micro biology.

What do I do if I wanted to sour this as an experiment? Not sure I'd even care for a soir beer.

Irish red? Gone sour? In terms of clean to sour beer comparison, it sounds closest to a flanders red in terms of base beer. Maybe try pitching the roeselare blend and some medium toast oak? Move it to an oxygen impermeable container first.

Back