Has my beer got an infection? Help Please ... WLP090 over 72hrs to start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simplepleasuresbrwery

simplepleasuresbrewery
Reaction score
Hi All

This is my first post to this forum - I have been brewing for over 4 years. I do a lot of harvesting of yeast from starters - have made starters from my very first homebrew and have a technique where I calculate the starter volumes using Homebrew Dad's Yeast Starter calculator and BeerSmith. I tend to shake my yeast starters in a conical flask at 160-200rpm using an old lab gyrator. I have over 40 yeast strains at various generations and have only ever had about 5 stuck fermentations.

Now to my issue - it is getting quite difficult to get new yeast of different strains during the prolonged lockdown here in the Scotland so I thought I would embark on an experiment with older yeast harvesting (this month I am making lots of 10 gallon batches - splitting and pitching different yeast strains in each 5 gallon batch). I decided to start the experiment with a 3yr old saison yeast wlp565 (which is tricky when new) - no issues made 2 starters a 3l starter and then a 2.5l. Harvested enough for another batch and pitched. Saison fermented well and ended nice and dry - even better than wlp568 in the other fermenter.

Thought I would do the same with wlp 090 vs wlp 001. WLP090 a little older at 4yrs (stupid really) - here is where disaster struck. WLP090 - starter again same method as saision yeast and nice layer of yeast to pitch. Did not start for 72hrs when I observed I think I had a little krausen- see photo attached. Odd smell and beer tasted a little bitter (however I never taste it at this point normally/never open my beers when fermenting and it is a high IBU beer). Now at about 84hrs more kraussen and then beer has dropped I think 12points (refractometer adjusted measurement). Smells quite sweet vinegary when I open fermenter.

Over the last 48hrs I made another starter and pitched this now - did not really flocculate during cold crash so pitched all of it.

As I never look at my beers during fermentation - steel fermenter bucket and think best to leave yeast alone when started. Is my beer infected? Any help much appreciated

Attachments

• Krausen 84hrs.jpg
    Krausen 84hrs.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 51
  • Krausen 72hrs.jpg
    Krausen 72hrs.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 50
Really appreciate the rapid replies!

It tastes odd (bitter/astringent)at present but as the yeast have not really done anything and it is about 90 IBU cannot really rely on that I don't think? WLP001 batch is nearly down below 1.020 and that tastes good in the fermenter ... Definitely going to taste different. Keep thinking the astringency was a Lacto infection - wort though looks very clear under krausen. The taste is better now at 84hrs than 72hrs .... again it is very very young and I think I am overthinking it!

Back