American IPA Himalayan IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HimalayanBrew

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale S-04
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 67
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
9 day @ 67
Tasting Notes
Slightly sweet/malty, strong citra hop aroma and flavor. Smooth bitterness
I live at 7000 feet above sea level in the foothills of the Himalayas. Here is a recipe I have tweaked over the past year. I'm very happy with the results.

15 gallons
32# Pils
4.5# Caramel Light (8-16)
1.5# Munich
1.5# Wheat
1.5# Melanoidin

Mash @150
OG: 1.061
FG: 1.011

2.5oz Summit @ 60 min
4oz Cascade @ 30 min
3oz Cascade @ 10 min
3oz Citra @ 5 min
3oz Citra @ Flame out
5.5oz Citra dry hopped in secondary

67 F for 7 days in primary
67 F for 9 days in secondary

50 BUs
6.7% ABV

Bringing the IPA back to India.

Summit seems like a very appropriate hop to use.;)

Do you have any problem with water/wort boiling at a low temperature at that height?

Do you have any problem with water/wort boiling at a low temperature at that height?

Yes, in fact, I do. Water boils at 199 F here, which affects the % utilization of the alpha acids. I haven't found a chart which correlates boil temperature and hop utilization, but I adjust by making my 60 min additions at 90 min. This seems to get me pretty close.

I culture yeast from dry packets as getting liquid is a bit of a challenge. I used about a liter of slurry of Safale S-04. It you are pitching it dry, I would suggest using 3 packs. Any clean ale yeast should do the job.

Is it hard to get ingredients up therE?

I work with an importer to get malt from Germany as the Indian malt produces about a 30% less sugar yield. The hops and yeast I bring over from the states. The last trip I was asked by TSA to open my carry on which was packed with hops and specialty grain. They just looked at me.

I work with an importer to get malt from Germany as the Indian malt produces about a 30% less sugar yield. The hops and yeast I bring over from the states. The last trip I was asked by TSA to open my carry on which was packed with hops and specialty grain. They just looked at me.

Going to be doing the same pretty soon going to and from Ecuador. Lots of fun I imagine :D

LOL -- too funny.... Um sir -- what's this vaccuum sealed bag of green organic matter?

Do you brew just for yourself -- or run a shop?

I'd spent about 5 weeks in India back in the early 2000's. Most beer was domestic (some really good, some hit-and-miss). What's happening there now?

I live up at 4000 ft here in the states and it didn't even occur to me that there's be under utilization. Thanks for the insight!

I imagine you will soon be brewing some of the best beer in Ecuador. What is the craft beer scene like there?

Hope so!! :D

The scene is small but growing. Still in it's infancy. There are some decent places like Plan B and Bandido in Quito, but it's not really caught on yet and everyone still pretty much just drinks Pilsner (which is shyte at best but still better than BMC)

Back