High temps during fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetbs

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've placed my primary in my basement on top of a a mini fridge in a room that stays relatively cool. So far over the last three days, the temp down there at its coolest was about 71. For my beer, which is an Ale, I understand that is a decent temp.

Fermentation started up yesterday morning with plenty of bubbles, but now it seems to have slowed down and I'm worried that this may because the temp in my basement is at 77 today...

I have no way to control the house's temp (no AC + irregular temps in the Midwest) but I figure it shouldn't get any hotter down there. Is this temp the reason my beer seems to have stopped bubbling? And if it goes back down (the temp tonight and tomorrow is in the lower 70s, so the basement should cool off a good amount) will the beer react nicely to the lower temp?

I guess I'm not sure how big a problem this could be.

if it's that warm (which is much warmer that I would like personally), it is very likely almost done fermenting. Even held a a comfortable 68*F, the bulk of fermentation is usually over within 3 or 4 days. The higher the temp, the faster it goes.

While that's not out of range for ale yeast to function in, most strains like it a little cooler than that. Also, folks often don't realize that the yeast make their own heat, so the temp in the fermentor during active fermentation is higher than the ambient temp in the room.

Fortunately, the worst that will probably happen to your beer is that you'll get some fruity or boozy off-flavors, some of which will go away with time. Check your gravity on sucessive days like you're supposed to to determine the end of fermentation (if you have a hydrometer. And if you don't, get one, it's well worth the investment) and don't worry, it's probably fine.

Also, look for methods of temperature control. The wet t-shirt and a fan, the fermentor in a bucket of ice...
Fermentation temperature control will help you make a big difference in the quality of your beer.

I guess I'm not sure how big a problem this could be.

Well, it CAN be a BIG problem - but only when the temps get really up there. Some yeast gives of more flavors than others, but for the most part, you'll be fine.

There could be a few extra aromas or flavors here and there but they won't be unpleasant. The beer will be fine. I used to use a lot of California Ale yeast, since I made most of my beers in an unconditioned apartment in San Diego. That yeast is pretty versatile and does alright at higher temps. There were lots of high temperature ferments that produced great beers with that yeast.

Back