High post count does not equal brewing knowledge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know what you mean. It is an honour to have Evan! respond to a post.....I lace all my posts with a hint of Evanspice in the hopes that I might attract him. Sadly, Evanspice only seems to work on Shecky. :(

edit: how on earth does one giggle at the top of their lungs!? just curious. :)

You sure Shecky hasn't swapped labels on your Evanspice and cleverly replaced it with Shecky spice?

I don't know about giggling, but I have the feeling that my posts enduce uncontrollable vomiting.

Plus, your beer IQ is now 20 points lower.

Sorry...

:D

Yes...Yes I do feel better. I think you guys are on to something here.

So...my point remains....I want to hide my Post count. And if you don't want any of my advice...feel free to ignore it. But you can count on 2 things here....someone asking...for the 10th time today if his beer is bad...and me responding. Somehow I'm not sorry about that.
:rolleyes:

Yeah, most of us here with high post counts didn't get those by playing "what song am I" or other type of silly word games, they/we get it by spending hours upon hours answering the same basic questions over and over (holding hands of the new brewers), and helping each other, no matter at what level of brewing we are become better brewers.

And it isn't because we think we're better than anyone, or our advice is holy, of our poop doesn't smell('cause you haven't been around me after a night of homebrews if you believe that), it's because it's our way of giving back to this community that has helped us on so many levels....Not just in brewing but in life, some of these people have become like extended family to me...

But sometimes all of us get tired of answering questions which are easily found in the search function, or by looking at some of the same threads on the forum they posted in.... Sometimes it feels like some people want us to wipe their butts for them....and sometime's we're a little snippy.

But guess what.....We still do it....

but i've seen how it is on other forums, and at are most sarcastic none of us here as ever answered a post like this, which I've seen on other threads.

Hey a$$hole, use the f@#$ing search feature you g@#@#amn noob
No one on here has since I've been here written that to a poster. It's not a part of our culture...though sometimes friendly sarcasm is.

I constantly am learning several new things here every day. I look at it as a ladder...I'm one batch's worth of knowledge ahead of the guy behind me (so I try to pull them up the ladder with me), and one batch behind in knowledge of the guy ahead of me, who pulls me along.

I don't care whether or not you take my advice....but as long as I am here and someone has a question, and I have even the slightest bit of help to offer about it I will.....Because somebody has to....and we've taken it upon ourselve's to.

I ask that you provide some examples of this phenomenon.

A little while ago I remember a complete noob posting about some "problems" (read: Is my beer ruined?) about his first batch. I don't remember any of the specifics like the OP, thread title, etc but there was someone who replied telling him it was fine and that he can't do anything to his beer without asking the forum first and don't listen to anyone without 1000 posts. I thought it was a little *****ebagish.

I think the whole post count thing has to be taken with a grain of salt. I'm sure some people have been brewing for decades but might only have several hundred posts and others who have considerably less brewing knowledge might have 5 times as many posts. I tend to judge people on the quality of their posts and not the quantity.

A little while ago I remember a complete noob posting about some "problems" (read: Is my beer ruined?) about his first batch. I don't remember any of the specifics like the OP, thread title, etc but there was someone who replied telling him it was fine and that he can't do anything to his beer without asking the forum first and don't listen to anyone without 1000 posts. I thought it was a little *****ebagish.

I seem to remember that too. You are right. However, the interweb has been around long enough now so that everyone should know that we are all individuals with different opinions and ideas.

Hell, every time I try to tackle something new (like kegging, for example), I'm a noob all over again, and I have no problem admitting it.

Me...I....Well....I think that if you're not a n00b at something ....you've fallen over dead and began to atolize.

For Christ sake get up and try something new! Post your results....quit bitching about posters with Big....um....counts!

I seem to remember that too.

I remember it too...AND I remember that it was pretty damn funny! The guy was really worked up, and the person that told him that...I gotta go search....Was totally kidding...and maybe it takes a post count of 4,600+ to understand that.

Post count doesn't count for much of anything as far as experience goes. I've only been brewing since March, but I'm not afraid to chip in my 2c on what I would do based on my experience (which amounts to nearly 20 batches at this point) so I've logged 1000 posts if you discount the post whoring thread. ;) Hopefully at least 10 of those were useful to someone. :D

I'll second what others have said about gaining a lot of knowledge from this forum. You can never learn everything. I still make tweaks to my process based on little tidbits I pick up from the folks around here almost every time I brew, and my beer keeps getting incrementally better for it.

Plus, I work from home most of the time, so I don't get a lot of social interaction during the day. This forum helps keep me sane. :mug:

I think the whole post count thing has to be taken with a grain of salt. I'm sure some people have been brewing for decades but might only have several hundred posts and others who have considerably less brewing knowledge might have 5 times as many posts. I tend to judge people on the quality of their posts and not the quantity.

This is a good way to look at it. Luckily, on this forum bad advice is rarely given and when it is it is squashed by the rest of the members within seconds. That said, I am very picky about recipes and whatnot, blind faith is never a good thing. Do some reading and use the forum for things you can't understand.

IN THE SPIRT OF THIS RETARTED POST, WHICH IS A PREMATURE FALSE GENERALZATION OF 1/3 THE PEOPLE HERE; PEOPLE FROM SEATTLE ARE A BUNCH OF WINNY BALLBAG NEWJACKS THAT INCORRECTLY THINK WE CARE WHEN THAY GET BUTT HURT AND WANT TO CRY ABOUT IT.

PS. SHECKY IS GAY.

like the caps? thats keeping up the sprit

Anyone that equates size or quantity with quality is an idiot. (insert jokes about penises here)

Silliest thread since the last one I started IMO

Silliest thread since the last one I started IMO

Yup.

Really...I can't believe that none of you have said anything about my quote in Revvy's sig line....I paid him handsomely to put that in there....

But it is echoed here....We all help each other out....no 2 ways abou tit. (Yes..it is Freudian, and yes it is intentional!)

*** EDIT (I dont' want to post whore or anything)

While I'm bragging about my quotes....anyone seen YooperBrew's sig line in the last 5 minutes?

Post count doesn't count for much of anything as far as experience goes. I've only been brewing since March, but I'm not afraid to chip in my 2c on what I would do based on my experience (which amounts to nearly 20 batches at this point) so I've logged 1000 posts if you discount the post whoring thread. ;) Hopefully at least 10 of those were useful to someone. :D

I'll second what others have said about gaining a lot of knowledge from this forum. You can never learn everything. I still make tweaks to my process based on little tidbits I pick up from the folks around here almost every time I brew, and my beer keeps getting incrementally better for it.

Plus, I work from home most of the time, so I don't get a lot of social interaction during the day. This forum helps keep me sane. :mug:

+1 to that. I have very little brewing experience but probably wouldn't have any brewing experience were it not for this site. Personally, I wouldn't take any advice from someone with less than 9,000 posts. ;) If I see that someone has a question about a kit I've brewed and I can help in anyway then I'm throwing it in the ring for consideration.

oh crap thanks man!!! lol its backwards day at work and i eally should have siad something in case you guys wern up with the hip stuff we go at my place of bitness

PS. Shecky is a raving hetero man muffin.

Yeah, most of us here with high post counts didn't get those by playing "what song am I" or other type of silly word games, they/we get it by spending hours upon hours answering the same basic questions over and over (holding hands of the new brewers), and helping each other, no matter at what level of brewing we are become better brewers.
What!? I thought it was because of all the replying to threads such as this one. :)
Well, also the post-whoring thread, and all the debate threads, ... ad infinitum.

And don't forget about all of us with high post counts in our heads! I answer so many posts in my mind only. :cross: Just too lazy to type most of the time knowing that someone else will answer it sooner or later (mostly sooner).

Though I have only been brewing for a year, I spend the whole time brewing with about three friends. All of them have been brewing for years and two of them have worked at home brew stores for at least two years.
So that's my background, I learned over the past year and continue to brew. I'm no expert, is my point but I'll spell out all my credentials.

I just wanted to say that it annoys me when the 1000+ count posters act like they are intrinsically better brewers than the rest of us. Many of them are probably quite skilled. Just dont post 20 times a day expecting everyone to worship your brewing advice.

Rant Complete.

I joined because I had a question and a quick search landed me here. I had to register to get my question answered so I did. Once in I learned a lot about AG which was my intent. Thanks to you all. But I do notice most of the high posters and people with the most to say are paying members. I think that in itself means something and that is why I try (try) to stay out of too much confrontation. I would probably join but if I lose my job (fiancee too) like it is looking like is going to happen, I will probably not. In the meantime I visit and try to not get too involved.

I joined because I had a question and a quick search landed me here. I had to register to get my question answered so I did. Once in I learned a lot about AG which was my intent. Thanks to you all. But I do notice most of the high posters and people with the most to say are paying members. I think that in itself means something and that is why I try (try) to stay out of too much confrontation. I would probably join but if I lose my job (fiancee too) like it is looking like is going to happen, I will probably not. In the meantime I visit and try to not get too involved.

Gee, I really hope that it's not a supporter vs. non-paying supporter issue. I like to think that everyone has a voice, not matter what their so-called status is. We've had many non-supporters contribute greatly, and I don't think we've ever differentiated between them. There ARE some advantages to becoming a supporter, but earning the right to post isn't one of them.

Maybe we supporters post more because we feel we have more of a stake in the tone of the forum? I don't know- that's just a guess. But I'm really bothered by someone feeling that they want to stay out of too much involvement just because of the membership status.

I post here because I have no life because I am at work 24-7...

But seriously I post here because I think most people here are great, have good knowledge about brewing and its a great way to meet other brewers.

You guys are the best :)

But I'm really bothered by someone feeling that they want to stay out of too much involvement just because of the membership status.

Ya VO!
Dude...If you've got something to say...say it! It's like being in class...and if you know the answer...don't be shy...shout it out...You know I will.
And you never know when you might help just the right person at just the right time and that person may be better off than you and that person might just happen to buy you a life time membership! (yes yes yes!) OH Wait...is everyone still here? Sorry...I kinda went off by myself there for a second.

Post away good man!

Should I be concerned about taking back the high post count title on the Post Whore thread again from Arturo7?

But I'm really bothered by someone feeling that they want to stay out of too much involvement just because of the membership status.

You can rest assured that it doesn't apply to me. I plan to post at least three more times this week on the subject of Apfelwein alone. ;)

Seriously I don't think you guys are so intimidating that you're scaring people into silence. I guess most noobs are smarter than me and have learned the value of listening rather than talking. :rockin: Or they just came for one question and moved to lurk mode.

Either way let me pass on some wise words my great-great-grandfather used to live by. RDWHAHB. :mug:

Though I have only been brewing for a year, I spend the whole time brewing with about three friends. All of them have been brewing for years and two of them have worked at home brew stores for at least two years.
So that's my background, I learned over the past year and continue to brew. I'm no expert, is my point but I'll spell out all my credentials.

I just wanted to say that it annoys me when the 1000+ count posters act like they are intrinsically better brewers than the rest of us. Many of them are probably quite skilled. Just dont post 20 times a day expecting everyone to worship your brewing advice.

Rant Complete.
I agree, I dont know **** about brewing but I brew good beer. If you brew good beer then send me one or seven, my keg is about empty. :)

Er, how come it says I'm a "Senior Member" next to my posts? How do I change it to "Professional *********"?

Rant Complete.

Whatever, Ill brew circles around you

:mug:

All I know is that there is no catching up to BigKahuna now! He's got me 4 post to 1.

Er, how come it says I'm a "Senior Member" next to my posts? How do I change it to "Professional *********"?

Pony up the cash to be a Premium Supporter and you can be whoever you want to be. ;)

Latest posts

Back