High post count does not equal brewing knowledge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally like the guys who feel the need to post in every thread. I can think of 2 or 3 who I see in every freakin thread I read, but contribute little of value. Sometimes I feel dumber after reading those people's posts, so I learn who to skip over. Avatar association works for me, note to the smart people (and the dummies): stop changing avatars, it helps us n00bs make snap decisions whether to read two paragraphs of your mental droppings :)

This is a rising trend of late around here it seems. Although the OP could have certainly gone about stating his opinion a bit differently, I agree with some of it. I certainly agree that some of the most knowledgable people on HBT are not the ones with the highest post count (I do not put myself in the group of 'most knowledgable brewers on HBT'). If I have a question about a recipe or brewing that I didn't want to start a new thread about, there are a few people that I would ask. Some of them have high post counts, some of them do not, but I know that they're more experienced than me based what I've seen and read in almost 2 years of being here.

Telling noobs the same thing 10 times a day, then posting a response to every other post in the same thread does not equal brewing experience and I don't think it adds much value to the community. It just means that you really like to click the "Post Now' button.

I like the Brews-to-posts ratio idea. I'm at about 5,200 posts and I have 81 brews. That's a ratio of 64.2 posts per brew. If I count Apfelwein, which I didn't since there's really no brewing involved and the process is mind-numbingly simple, I'd be at 61.

no really I would never do that :D

I wasn't saying you would. And really....I should spend more time in chat and less time on the boards.

also for the record....I have through this edit of a current post...posted 121 times per batch brewed since February 7th. And that is due to budget issues that have put a full 1/3 of my brews "On the back burner" so to speak.

This is a rising trend of late around here it seems. Although the OP could have certainly gone about stating his opinion a bit differently, I agree with some of it. I certainly agree that some of the most knowledgable people on HBT are not the ones with the highest post count (I do not put myself in the group of 'most knowledgable brewers on HBT'). If I have a question about a recipe or brewing that I didn't want to start a new thread about, there are a few people that I would ask. Some of them have high post counts, some of them do not, but I know that they're more experienced than me based what I've seen and read in almost 2 years of being here.

Telling noobs the same thing 10 times a day, then posting a response to every other post in the same thread does not equal brewing experience and I don't think it adds much value to the community. It just means that you really like to click the "Post Now' button.

I like the Brews-to-posts ratio idea. I'm at about 5,200 posts and I have 81 brews. That's a ratio of 64.2 posts per brew. If I count Apfelwein, which I didn't since there's really no brewing involved and the process is mind-numbingly simple, I'd be at 61.

Quite frankly, there's just a sh*tload of people here, many more than when I joined. I don't know the numbers as they compare to 2006, but dayum....these days, if a new thread goes 10 minutes without at least a few replies, then something's wrong.

All this speaking in generalities and being vague needs to stop. Either people start getting called out or I walk.

Or, I'll do something that you won't like, and that I haven't thought of yet.

I like how this Impetuous @ss guy drops the bomb and then never comes back.

Very schoolyard. I'll bet he was the kid that would throw a rock at you and then run over to the teacher.

I think s3n8's comment about not changing avatars should also specifically apply to ohiobrewtus. Never, ever change that avatar. Ever.

I think s3n8's comment about not changing avatars should also specifically apply to ohiobrewtus. Never, ever change that avatar. Ever.

ohiobrewtus-6158.gif

I dunno if I'm scared of it, or turned on by it....or both.

Not everyone hits the board everyday, so the OP's absence is not an issue to me.

I'll throw out another generality.
People from the PAC NW do not necessarily know more about beer than someone from Minot, ND. How useful is that nugget?

Look. I've said it before and I'll say it again.

It's better to be helpful than correct.

What do I mean by that?
If you post a technically correct answer and you are a dick about it, people will either discount it or feel that this is a bad place to get info.

On the other hand, if you post a technically incorrect answerin good faith, your answer will can spur more in-depth information from other posters and in all likely hood will provide a better answer in the long run than had you not posted.

I'd also argue that the act of posting your answers DOES increase your knowledge because it forces you to organize your thoughts and it puts your ideas before the scrutiny of the brewing community.

I've built my own kegerators (3) but have never built a chest freezer, I have 0 experience in that area, however I've answered questions about them based on my reading of the posts and the similarities between my projects and chest freezers. I can describe various methods used for building collars and the pros and cons of different set ups. Is my knowledge ratio 0/#of posts?? No.

I'll add with some reservation that there are some people that post that just make the thread more damned entertaining. Those posters can propel a thread into a hot thread and generate a lot of eyeballs and traffic.

Anyway the OP just put his opinion out there and we have yet to hear back. So let's try to be helpful :)

I dont think that I would look at brew/post ratios... what about people building a HERMS or RIMS or something complex of that nature? Heck, there you can account or what... 100-150 posts alone? ;) Or, posting pics... we never complain about seeing peoples pics... heck, there are another 50 posts? There you have it, 200 free posts, after that they have to equal no more than 50/brew session...

I agree with o|||o because bad advice is almost always countered on these forums, or at least it has been my experience.

I apologize for my previous comment, and anyone that knows me knows that it's very out of character for me. The reason I respond thusly is because I have been a part of many internet forums and the way this forum is handled is head-and-shoulders above them all. It speaks to the overall character of the members in general.

If you have issue(s) with a particular member, try to resolve/clarify it via PM. If you still have troubles, PM a mod.

The reason I respond thusly is because I have been a part of many internet forums and the way this forum is handled is head-and-shoulders above them all. It speaks to the overall character of the members in general.

I have to second that! Many other forums have threads consistently degrading into flame wars, which does not serve anyone well except the @$$holes who find it entertaining to belittle random people just because they are anonymous on the other side of a monitor screen. I keep posting and hanging out here because I enjoy doing so; there is a real sense of community here, I learn a lot, and I have a lot of fun, too.

:mug:

I have to second that! Many other forums have threads consistently degrading into flame wars, which does not serve anyone well except the @$$holes who find it entertaining to belittle random people just because they are anonymous on the other side of a monitor screen. I keep posting and hanging out here because I enjoy doing so; there is a real sense of community here, I learn a lot, and I have a lot of fun, too.

:mug:

To carry the love fest one step further, I'd wager most members here wouldn't mind sitting down for a pint with anyone on the board...

Except maybe Gnome. I can't stand that guy.

:D

To carry the love fest one step further, I'd wager most members here wouldn't mind sitting down for a pint with anyone on the board...

Except maybe Gnome. I can't stand that guy.

I deleted your smiley for you so that you look mean and nasty ;) I'm sure there are plenty of gnome haters. :( I know that inane posts can be irritating, but what the hell, I'll gladly take PMs from anyone that I annoy :)

Anyone notice that the OP dropped a thread that was intended to draw attention to his problem with inflated post counts and this thread has only served to further inflate those post counts?

I'll go ahead and make a general statement that there is a correlation between "Brewing IQ" and post count but there isn't a measurable causation.

So does my post count means I'm over 10000 times dumber than any noob?

I think just by osmosis you should be a better(more knowledgeable) brewer with an higher post count. The collective wealth of knowledge and experience does (or should) sink in.

So does my post count means I'm over 10000 times dumber than any noob?

I think just by osmosis you should be a better(more knowledgeable) brewer with an higher post count. The collective wealth of knowledge and experience does (or should) sink in.

Despite my kazillion inane posts, I am here to learn, and I do it by osmosis. I'm not a good reader of technical mumbo jumbo, and need a LOT of breaks from it. This is the only reason I have a highish post count. I come to this forum primarily to learn about brewing. Secondarily to hang out with a great bunch of people. I enjoy the balance (From my own perspective at least) I look forward to the day when I can be more helpful on brewing related matters, but realistically that is not today.

Be warned guys, I am sucking in your innermost knowledge and best kept secrets by the power of osmosis. :)

I deleted your smiley for you so that you look mean and nasty ;) I'm sure there are plenty of gnome haters. :( I know that inane posts can be irritating, but what the hell, I'll gladly take PMs from anyone that I annoy :)

Gnome, I'm crushed. We shared a magical afternoon watching Blue Shorts Guy pee in SoupBrews' carboy and this is the way you treat me.

:confused:

You must be an Buckeyes fan now. Dirty, Dirty Buckeyes...

four pages, and he never even came back to finish winding you guys up? i want that ten minutes of my life back. ;)

...I am here to learn, and I do it by osmosis...I come to this forum primarily to learn about brewing. ... I look forward to the day when I can be more helpful on brewing related matters, but realistically that is not today.

My sentiments exactly! I've been reading through the old threads and new posts for the past few months; I've even posted a few questions and gotten excellent, helpful responses almost immediately. However, all the reading I've done has really served to show me how much I still don't know, so you can bet I'll be sticking around to learn as much as I can from you guys. :mug:

Gnome, I'm crushed. We shared a magical afternoon watching Blue Shorts Guy pee in SoupBrews' carboy

You must be an Buckeyes fan now. Dirty, Dirty Buckeyes...

A) See! What magical times we share as a community! Did you see that, OP? Did ya see that!? As a community we watch Blue Shorts Guy pee in someone else's carboy! (I thought he peed in the kettle, but maybe it was both)

B) In England, Buckeyes are called conkers ya know! Children thread strings through them and smash them into little pieces (And hurt their knuckles in the process)

B) In England, Buckeyes are called conkers ya know! Children thread strings through them and smash them into little pieces (And hurt their knuckles in the process)
Those conkers are horse-chestnuts not real Buckeyes!! :D
Buckeyes are an American tree and the state tree of your adopted state.

I imagine those children make just as big of a mess of the husks as the squirrels make in our yard.

Craig

we had a buckeye tree in the backyard growing up. we'd get buckets of them and take up a snipers position on the deck. then make our youngest brother and his friends dart around the backyard as we hurled them at em. good times....:fro:

we had a buckeye tree in the backyard growing up. we'd get buckets of them and take up a snipers position on the deck. then make our youngest brother and his friends dart around the backyard as we hurled them at em. good times....:fro:

We threw stones at eachother. We were friggin idiots, and I have a scar to prove it. :(

We threw stones at eachother. We were friggin idiots, and I have a scar to prove it. :(

We used to have BB gun fights...of course back in the day BB gun's weren't that powerful (well until my dad got me a pump action pellet gun that 10 pumps would put a pellet through an inch of cider block)...

It'a amazing we still have all our eyes...:D

We used to have BB gun fights...of course back in the day BB gun's weren't that powerful (well until my dad got me a pump action pellet gun that 10 pumps would put a pellet through an inch of cider block)...

It'a amazing we still have all our eyes...:D

we were not allowed bb guns for this very reason.

Just by virtue of my last post I suddenly, and inexplicably know how to build a rotating sparge arm!!! This post count intelligence is really kicking in!!! :D

Back