Hi-jack Alert!!!!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL! :D I'm hoping when Zombpocalypse starts here it'll be more like Shaun of the Dead. I have my trusty old box of vinyl records here with me in case the zombies start anything...

If I recall, the LP records weren't terribly effective. You're better off with a cricket bat.

Well I stand corrected....let me do a little reading right quick....

The M16A2 semiautomatic rifle is the standard by which all military rifles of the future will be judged. This variant of the M16 fires a three-round burst in semiautomatic operation. The system incorporates an adjustable rear sight which corrects for both wind and elevation, a heavier barrel with 1-in-7 rifling, and a muzzle compensator to prevent muzzle climb during semiautomatic operation. The M16A2 is capable of firing all NATO standard 5.56mm ammunition and can fire 40mm grenades when equipped with the M203 Grenade Launcher.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m16.htm

Both burst and FA versions of the M4 are available depending on service and unit type.

RIGHT!!!! a heard of zombies!!!!!!:D

The obvious difference here being I can drop a deer by hitting it in many places. The undead require headshots. They also will not jump up and run away at the sound of the first shot. So, you'll really be focusing on the headshots through your scope, which means you'll have plenty of time to reup your chamber be it by bolt or lever. A semiauto would work, but my point was simply that people tend to unload very quickly with a semiauto, and forget that it just takes one well-placed shot...thus wasting ammunition. Now, if you have the proper training and can be sure that you'll have proper self-discipline to just take single headshots, then use whatever you want.

As for the "what if they're like the 28 days later zombies" question...please. That's fiction.

I guess I dont understand the point of having guns like that either. Its not very practical for home defense. its ridiculous for hunting, unless your planning on duck hunting with dick cheney. are they useless except as commodities, like trading stocks? So what do all you assault rifle owners out there do with these things?
Im trying not to get political, I am genuinely curious.

Why do you need to brew beer when you can buy it at the supermarket?

Assault weapon is a political buzz word designed to upset people these days, nothing more.

The AR-15 is a good hunting rifle, well balanced, climate hardy for winter conditions, flat color to prevent spooking the animal targeted, and very accurate for a clean harvest. Only problem is that it is such a small caliber that I would like a little more stopping power, like the .308 or a classic .30 '06.

AR-15 fires a .223 round, basically a .22 caliber round on a larger powder charge.

Left to right
Code:
.223            .30-30                .308
497px-30-30.jpg

Who else is completely thrilled that we've changed the topic of discussion in a political thread to methods of killing zombies?
:rockin:

A shotgun would be the most effective against zombies:rockin:

Wrong again. Only a very short-range shot would have much of an effect. The shot disperses too much, too quickly, to have any effectiveness otherwise. Remember, piercing the skull (or decapitating it) is all we're interested in here.

Who else is completely thrilled that we've changed the topic of discussion in a political thread to methods of killing zombies?
:rockin:

I'm partial to running them down with a car.

Just imagine a Mad Max style vehicle with mounted .50 cal.

Sweet! :rockin:

I'm partial to running them down with a car.

Just imagine a Mad Max style vehicle with mounted .50 cal.

Sweet! :rockin:

I am, I just watched Full Metal Jacket last night, I'm all about killing some hit right about now

Why do you need to brew beer when you can buy it at the supermarket?

Assault weapon is a political buzz word designed to upset people these days, nothing more.

The AR-15 is a good hunting rifle, well balanced, climate hardy for winter conditions, flat color to prevent spooking the animal targeted, and very accurate for a clean harvest. Only problem is that it is such a small caliber that I would like a little more stopping power, like the .308 or a classic .30 '06.

AR-15 fires a .223 round, basically a .22 caliber round on a larger powder charge.

Left to right
Code:
.223            .30-30                .308
497px-30-30.jpg

You can buy AR variations that fire .308s and even .450s. These would make awesome hunting rifles. Accurate and reliable when you are crawling through the dirt. And great against zombies.

Wrong again. Only a very short-range shot would have much of an effect. The shot disperses too much, too quickly, to have any effectiveness otherwise. Remember, piercing the skull (or decapitating it) is all we're interested in here.

I don't know man. Bad from long range. But in tight quarter and many zombies your best chance of escape would be a shotgun. It might not kill, but would knock them down long enough to get out of the secret escape door.

I don't know man. Bad from long range. But in tight quarter and many zombies your best chance of escape would be a shotgun. It might not kill, but would knock them down long enough to get out of the secret escape door.

I'll +1 on the shotty in close quarters.....but that's about all I can vote for on the shotty

You can buy AR variations that fire .308s and even .450s. These would make awesome hunting rifles. Accurate and reliable when you are crawling through the dirt. And great against zombies.

Not sure I'd ever use the phrase "reliable when you are crawling through the dirt" with any AR rifle... and this may be the first time I've ever heard anyone actually say it. This is exactly what their biggest downfall has been... unreliability when dirty. Remember the Jessica Lynch story? Almost every weapon in that convoy was jammed (poor maintenance/cleaning). The only person returning fire was Patrick Miller and he was doing so by hand feeding each round.

Not sure I'd ever use the phrase "reliable when you are crawling through the dirt" with any AR rifle... and this may be the first time I've ever heard anyone actually say it. This is exactly what their biggest downfall has been... unreliability when dirty. Remember the Jessica Lynch story? Almost every weapon in that convoy was jammed (poor maintenance/cleaning). The only person returning fire was Patrick Miller and he was doing so by hand feeding each round.

I thought they took care of most of those problem but, I may have to stand corrected. I do remember seeing a video with a "fixed" AR that was buried in sand and even underwater that still operated, but maybe that was some custom demonstration video I saw and the military hasn't adopted.

Like I said, it's fine in close quarters, but only in terms of knocking them down en masse and maybe blowing a few heads off. I prefer the combo of a semiauto sidearm, a lever/bolt-action scoped & silenced rifle, and a machete or katana. Between the sidearm and the machete, I'm fine in close quarters---I just don't really like the idea of lugging around a bulky shotgun for that specific purpose. Maybe keep one on hand in your home or bunker, but when the sh*t goes down and we have to bail, I'm leaving the scattergun behind.

I thought they took care of most of those problem but, I may have to stand corrected. I do remember seeing a video with a "fixed" AR that was buried in sand and even underwater that still operated, but maybe that was some custom demonstration video I saw and the military hasn't adopted.

Many people/companies have been working on piston ARs... this may be what you saw. They're basically the best of both worlds (in theory) with regard to an AK and an AR.

Here's one company...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll say my Z-day kit will include a good mix. I will definatly have a good bolt action for the long range, an AR-15 for the med.- close, the scatter gun for the up close and personal, and assorted handguns for when all else fails.

And I will stick to the prirates code, a black powder gun with one shot and one charge, if I fail.

Like I said, it's fine in close quarters, but only in terms of knocking them down en masse and maybe blowing a few heads off. I prefer the combo of a semiauto sidearm, a lever/bolt-action scoped & silenced rifle, and a machete or katana. Between the sidearm and the machete, I'm fine in close quarters---I just don't really like the idea of lugging around a bulky shotgun for that specific purpose. Maybe keep one on hand in your home or bunker, but when the sh*t goes down and we have to bail, I'm leaving the scattergun behind.

You win. When the zombies attack you can be my leader.

Evan!, it seems like you and I are pretty much on the same page regarding zombie survival methods, but I'm gonna have to disagree with you a little here.

You've gotta have the shotty. I imagine in a widespread zombie-infestation, the ultimate goal is going to be to escape from immediate danger, not to kill 'em all. A shotgun would be a very effective weapon to that end. Need to get through a convenience store for supplies? Shotgun! Need to get a zombie off the back of your car? Shotgun! You're likely going to be at close range to shoot anyway, so to make it more portable saw 2/3 of the barrel off. That's zombie stopping power if I've ever seen it!

Disclaimer: I have not, in fact, ever seen zombie stopping power.

I suspect this may be a cultural thing, but I cannot for the life of me figure out who would look at an assault rifle and think "I really need to buy one of those". What sort of possible future event do people imagine that leads them to conclude that getting an assault rifle is the way to go?

I hope this doesn't come across as rude, as it's not meant that way. I'm just genuinely baffled by it.

I'm sure there are many, many people that look at you and your brewing labors and think "why on earth would you make your own beer."

You do brew your own beer because you like to, you enjoy and and it gives you satisfaction. Same reason to own and shoot. Whether it's a AR-15 or a Berretta over-under for skeet it's simply about being able to and what trips that person's trigger (no pun intended). ;)

I am pretty prepped and ready. The Good book never goes far. (ZSG that is) Got a nice place picked out that can be reached in about 5 days if walking. Plenty of ammo for the bolt action, lots of 00 buck for getting out of the house, water and canned food in the attic, axe on standby to chop the attic ladder off if need be, and plenty of machetes and files around for restoring that nice new zombie cleaving edge.

You've gotta have the shotty. I imagine in a widespread zombie-infestation, the ultimate goal is going to be to escape from immediate danger, not to kill 'em all. A shotgun would be a very effective weapon to that end. Need to get through a convenience store for supplies? Shotgun! Need to get a zombie off the back of your car? Shotgun! You're likely going to be at close range to shoot anyway, so to make it more portable saw 2/3 of the barrel off. That's zombie stopping power if I've ever seen it!

Agree on the shotgun, but no modifiying. Buckshot/double-0 (slugs if you have to).

Remember its about zombie stopping power :rockin:

And, zombie knockdown power is a myth ;)

Danny Trejo is always ready for close combat with the zombies. Or hot looking vampire babes.

machete_reference.jpg

A street Sweeper and a Katana are the only weapons needed for zombie combat, Never use a flame thrower the zombies will run at you and set you onfire.

I'm sure there are many, many people that look at you and your brewing labors and think "why on earth would you make your own beer."
Yeah, true. When they do, I tell them that I brew beer, and bottle it, and overcarb it to nine or ten atmospheres, so that when Zombpocalyse comes I can use my lovingly brewed ales as anti-zombie grenades. Store them warm, shake them, aim for the head. That's the only reason I brew.

I am investing in ukuleles. Zombies beware! And as they say, they will have to pry my uke from my cold dead fingers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Straight from the good book:
At close range against human attackers, this weapon reigns supreme. Against the living dead, this is not entirely true. A good twelve-gauge shotgun can literally blow a zombies head off. However, the longer the range, the greater the pellet dispersal pattern, and the lesser chance of skull penetration. A solid slug would have the same effect as a rifle, even at greater range (provided the barrel is long enough), but in that case, why not just use a rifle? What shotguns do possess is stopping power. The scattering shot acts as a solid wall, whereas a rifle bullet might pass clean through or miss the target altogether. If you are cornered, or on the run, and need time to escape, a good shotgun blast can send several zombies sprawling. The downside of a shotgun is that the large, twelve-gauge shells are bulky and therefore burdensome when traveling and leave less room for other equipment. This must be considered if a long journey is required
Brooks, Max. The Zombie Survival Guide Complete Protection From The Living Dead New York: Three Rivers Press, 2003.

So I have to agree with Max here. Have a shotgun and keep it loaded, just don't plan on it being your go to zombie killer. If you have space, take one with you but that sharp blade should be your weapon of choice. After all, a quick slice is going to draw a lot less zombies than a gun shot.

Yeah, true. When they do, I tell them that I brew beer, and bottle it, and overcarb it to nine or ten atmospheres, so that when Zombpocalyse comes I can use my lovingly brewed ales as anti-zombie grenades. Store them warm, shake them, aim for the head. That's the only reason I brew.

Really? I just drink my beer. :D

For Heaven's sake man, don't say stuff like that on a homebrewing forum! When I thought about all that beer being wasted on zombies I teared up a little.

Evan!, it seems like you and I are pretty much on the same page regarding zombie survival methods, but I'm gonna have to disagree with you a little here.

It's about priorities, and fact is, when you're on the move, you have a limited carrying capacity. And like Brooks notes, do you really wanna be lugging around those bulky shells? Sure, if you've got the space (like the trunk of a car), bring the scattergun. By all means! But Brooks makes another good point in that a blade is superior in most situations because it's silent and won't draw attention from far away.

Again, scattershot is great for holding back a horde while you get away, but all the things you mention---getting a zombie off your car, making your way through a convenience store, etc., can be achieved easily with one well-placed sidearm or rifle shot.

Back