Helppppp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewster13

Reaction score
I need to know if 46degrees is an ok temp to ferment my pilsner clone at? I brewed it the other day not realizing it should be fermented at 52-55 degrees. The best temp I can find is 46 in my beer fridge. It has been going for bout two day now at 68-69. Can I save it??

Yeast is a Saflager S-23 dry yeast. Has been bubblin away for 2 days. Will it hurt it to drop it that far after it has been going strong for 2 days?

I'm not a wealth of knowledge when it comes to lager yeasts. Ideally if you were to cool it down to lager temps from the 68F it is at now, you'd want to do it incrementally over a period of time, but the primary fermentation could be done by the time you get it that cold if you do it that way. From what I understand you only have the option to take the fermenter and just stick it in a fridge which would probably shock the hell out of the yeast. I'm gonna have to refer this to someone who knows a bit more about this kind of stuff.

On the other hand, lager yeasts are usually pretty darn slow and I give them a month minimum in primary. So at this point, maybe sticking it in the fridge is your best option. With your lager yeast fermenting at 68 for 2 days I'm guessing you may have some pretty crazy esthers going on when the beer finishes out.

I have an Octoberfest on S-23 right now at 48F. That yeast is pretty happy there. I did start with a yeast cake (from a steam beer), so I have a huge amount of yeast in there.

I'd put it in there. Fermentation is exothermic, which means it creates heat as the yeast metabolizes the sugars into ethanol and CO2. The fermenter will be at least 5 degrees warmer than your fridge, maybe more during the most active part of fermentation (which, unfortunately, you are beyond now).

Bout how long would you leave it in there?

Leave it in there until you're at about 1.020. Then, take it out and bring it to 60-68 degrees for the diacetyl rest. You may want to make sure you do a diacetyl rest, since you pitched so warm and kept it there. It may be too late to rid the beer of esters by bringing the temp down now, but at least you could fix any diacetyl problems you may have.

I honestly would not drop it from 68 to 46. It will most likely go to bed if you do, and not finish. Drop the temp gradually if you can, but I think I would leave it on the warm side before I'd cold crash it that hard.

It's saflager? I believe that should be on the warm side of fermentation anyhow.

Back