Help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyowolf

Reaction score
Ok, right in middle of brewing 10 gal on my rig...

240V 55000W single element with BCS 460...
panel lights up to show element is ON... but NO current draw?

I dont have another SSR

I have power to the element itself... but not drawing any current?? could the element be bad? or the SSR? The main relays all click when I turn the switch ON and Off so they seem to cycle... the red light on SSR comes on... but for some reason not drawing any current?

Do you have a red light lit up on your ssr?

Efit: sorry I see that it is. You might have a connection issue at your plug connection or at the element. Do you have a multimeter handy?

Do you have a red light lit up on your ssr?

Efit: sorry I see that it is. You might have a connection issue at your plug connection or at the element. Do you have a multimeter handy?

red light yes its on...

I have 220 at the element wiring itself... once I finish with the propane I will check it....but I cant see how SS element could go bad? I used it maybe 8 times?

I don't think that will be necessary...

20170211_134021.jpg

Not sure why it burned out like that... is that common?

the good news is my mash eff was 90.1%!! yay....
though i am sure my bittering is messed up... i only boiled about 25 min before it crapped out... then waited an hour for helper to arrive and carry it outside to finish...

Well I guess it's a good thing elements are relatively cheap. Thats definitely a short life span on it. I would maybe even look into warranty issues...

I think I know the problem... 55 kilowatts... that's over 220 amps! You have that kind of service?!?

Just kidding. Yeah, elements fail from time to time. For their cost, it makes sense to have an extra on hand, though you couldn't swap it easily when the kettle is full.

Back