Help! Yeast-washing trouble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jotakah

Reaction score
So I have been washing yeast from batches for some time, basically as the sticky "Yeast Washing Illustrated" dictates.

A few days ago I washed yeast from a Dark American Lager I've brewed and I followed every step as per normal but it still hasn't settled out, it looks like I have a ****load of trub in the jar.

Below is a picture of the jar I'm worried about (on the right) and a quality specimen on the left from a different batch.

So by the looks of it, do you guys still think I can use it? Should I re-wash further? What is going on? Thanks!

DSCN3317.jpg

I would decant that, and re-wash with boiled sterile water that has cooled to 60-70 F.
The trub will settle first, and the yeast will stay in solution longer. You should be able to see the trub settle, then pour off and save the yeast/water solution.
Cold crash that yeast/water solution, and what is left should be clean yeast.
You may need to step that up to get the volume you need, but it's a starting point.

I get the same thing when bottling I'm not sure if a whirlfloc tablet has anything to do with helping the yeast to settle but after fermenting I usually pump it into another container and the cold crash it in the fridge for 2-3 days then transfer it again then prime and bottle it's a lotta work but I end up with no yeast on the bottle once settled hope this helps ya

Back