help with yeast selection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainxdog

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing a black butte porter clone in the next couple days and would like some advice on yeast selection. The site recommends these two

Liquid: WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast

Dry: Safale S-04

Or if any others that you have used in the past that worked better.

I'm going to be brewing a black butte porter clone in the next couple days and would like some advice on yeast selection. The site recommends these two

Liquid: WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast

Dry: Safale S-04

Or if any others that you have used in the past that worked better.

recipes I've seen use WLP002, which is like neither of the above. S-04 is reportedly the Whitbread strain, which, I think, is WLP007.

Someone else can chime in, but supposedly Deschutes uses a house strain that's similar to another yeast (just can't remember which that was). But none of these are the ones you mention.

That is a great beer! I wish they distributed further East. Anyway, I've read Deschutes uses the Fuller's strain, WLP002/WY1968. It's a bit lower attenuating than the other two strains you mentioned, although those will make good beer too!

Back