Help with weird aftertaste in fermenting Pliny clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seatazzz

Well-Known Bloviator & Pontificator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I did back-to-back Pliny clones within 4 days of each other. The first one is in the keg now and carbing, tastes great. Process & recipe (with the exception of forgetting the dextrose in the 2nd) was the same. The second one is down to 1.024 from 1.065 right now after a week. Beer tastes great, smells terrific, but the aftertaste is slightly sulfury (yes I know yeast might not be done) and a bit vomitous. I'm thinking DMS, but I never cover the boil kettle and it hasn't been an issue before. I did add 1/2 tsp amylase yesterday to help it finish out (fermenting in the garage at about 60). Anyone else encounter this? My palate isn't educated enough to tell if it's creamed corn, vegetal, cabbage, all those off flavors Palmer talks about (although I am intimately familiar with bandaid flavor from earlier mistakes). I'm about ready to dry hop this one but don't want to waste the hops if this won't ferment out. Yeast was third generation Nottingham slurry that came out of my Amarillo IPA that turned out great. Any input welcome, thanks.

Notty has a history of sulfur off gassing. It will dissipate over time. Since your at the lower end of the temp range it may take a bit longer to clear and finish.

I do think fermenting lower is the right idea. I’d dry hop after your under 1.020-1.018 assuming your looking for a 1.014 ish FG.

You can bump the temp up a bit. It may help the yeast finish up. You’ll also get a bit of off gassing of co2 as you raise the temp which may help you drive off the sulfur.

Back