Help with starter please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camden2300

Reaction score
Well I just made my first starter .... Didnt pay attention ended up putting 2 quart starter in growler...... Yep filled it up to the top.... I'm brewing a cream ale technically don't think I need starter but hey... First beer and practice run for Belgian next week...

So it will obviously overflow got foil on top.... Is it fine to just pitch it on brew day?

Also on a scale of 1-10 1 being really dumb how dumb am I for doing this?

Eagerly waiting you replies and thank you for the help!

You get a 10 for trying. make the same stupid mistake again, and it goes to a 1.

It will be fine to pitch. Stuff going out will not hurt .... problem start when you let stuff get in.

Depending on the beer you are making, a half gallon is a bit. For a cream ale ok make it 4.5 gallons to start to even it off at 5 with the starter. On a scale of one to ten if you are a newbie it's 5. Not a big deal. But you usually make big volume active starters for bigger beers or lagers fermenting at low temps. You can use the whole starter and you're still fine even with the cream ale. Make sure your wort is well oxygenated and pitch the starter and let er rip! Check out Biermuncher's Cream of Three Crops Cream Ale and have some BMC fun.

Latest posts

Back