Help with post cancer celebration brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Foley

Reaction score
I have not posted or been around for awhile. In January I was diagnosed with Stage IV Colon Cancer. After a surgery on the colon I began chemotherapy. I was told to stay away from alcohol during chemo and I have (almost). Part way through treatment they found metastatic tumors on my liver. So, I have stopped chemo 1/2 way through and I am now looking at a liver resection in early July where they will cut out 50 to 60% of my liver. After that I will finish with about 3 more months of chemo.

This has halted my brewing/drinking activities. However, the surgeon has assured me that my liver will grow back and after a few months recover, and finishing my chemo I can start abusing my liver again. So, while I feel good now, and looking at about 3 to 6 months time, I am thinking of making a brew that will hopefully signify the end of my cancer battle and being cancer free. Thats a big hope, but thats what I am shooting for.

I have never brewed a lager and with a 3 to 6 month wait I am thinking I should try my hand. I have the extra fridge and temp control. So, give me some ideas of good beers to brew with that time range and a beer that would properly signify the end of a battle. I'm thinking a bock. Let me know if you have some ideas for a lager or aged ale. thanks.

As far as an Ale, maybe a big Stout? Good luck man!

Since you want to do a lager, I say do an octoberfest of some sort. Should be right oin time too.

ANd good luck through everything.

What beers do you dream of? What makes your mouth water?

Brew what you like, you deserve a few! You are one tough guy, and must have some amazing support from the family.

You definitely need a "fest" brew. How about an Oktoberfest, or a Maibock if you want a bock beer? You could do a regular bock, but those to me are sipping beers for the dark of winter, not happy celebration beers.

Thanks for the input and the kind words. Your right Poobah, I am too young for this, diagnosed just a few weeks shy of my 40th. But, I've come to find out an alarming number of young adults end up with this. Get a colonoscopy at the first sign of something wrong.

I like the idea of an oktoberfest, although it may be christmas before I get to it. I'm also thinking about a well lagered Kolsh. I want some beer that the other not so well refined drinkers can enjoy and celebrate with me. That would probably do the trick.

Thanks again guys.

I would go for an Imperial Pilsner. Something strong and malty but clean with a refreshing hop flavor.

Wow, sorry that you have had such health trials. Sounds like you have a great attitude about it all. I wish you the best.

Good luck with your surgery and treatment. Let us know when you are better so that we can 'toast' to your recovery.

I think a Pils or a nice Maibock are good suggestions.

Best of luck man, you'll be in my thoughts. Kinda puts things in perspective.:mug:

I would recommend the Oktoberfest or a marzen as well. If you are going to celebrate, make it a fest beer! Good luck with your treatment. I have had a few family members fight the battle and I can tell you that your attitude will help you the most with your fight (a couple good doctors won't hurt either!).

I don't have a brew recommendation for a lager, but given the time frame an Oktoberfest sounds about right. Do up some German sausages with it as well when it's done.

Just wanted to send out well wishes for you. I hope you knock the cancer and your brew of choice out of the park.

Many seasons to you my friend.

Thanks again for the well wishes. An Oktoberfest is on the horizon.

RayinUT, good to see a Utah post. I'm in St. George and will be doing my surgery up at Huntsman Cancer. How's it feel to brew now that we are legal in Utah? Not much different I imagine.

Thanks again everyone.

Positive thoughts and best wishes for a speedy recovery coming your way.

You'll have to post your recipe when you decide what you're going to brew.

I'm always one for a big, hoppy IIPA, myself. But oktoberfest is a worthy choice, too. :)

Latest posts

Back