Help with Pilsner H2O profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,
Been reading about pilsner water profiles, and what BeerSmith3's water section recommends seems to be off from what I'm learning elsewhere.

For example, Palmer and Kaminski's Water book recommends 30-50ppm of calcium, depending on factors, but BeerSmith's recommendation is 7.5ppm(???). What am I missing here?

I've included images of my grain bill and the water section of my recipe, should they be helpful.
Many thanks, as always!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 19.22.22.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 19.22.22.png
    811.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 19.22.52.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 19.22.52.png
    363.7 KB · Views: 10
Also, don’t use beer smiths water chemistry calculator, it’s very inaccurate. Use Bru’n water. It’s an excellent spreadsheet created by a Homebrewtalk member

Ive been using beer smith for water for a while now and its really pretty close to what Bru'n water will give for a given water profile. I'll admit though that Ive only compared the two softwares ONCE for a NEIPA.

@Iowa Brewer I think your issue is that you matched your distilled water profile to the town of Pilsen's water profile which is located in the Czech Republic. This isn't the same as creating a target profile in Beersmith for the Pilsner beer style you want. Admittedly, this has irked me about beer smith as it has preloaded water profiles for different locations/cities/towns AND desired water profiles for beer styles.

If you want to use Palmer and Kaminski's water profile for your pilsner, in beer smith you will need to create a custom pilsner water profile first. Then you will need to "match" your distilled water as the base water profile to your newly custom profile. This should give you MUCH better results. I do this myself all the time - create a custom profile I want for a specified beer style and then use it.

Hope this helps.

Ive been using beer smith for water for a while now and its really pretty close to what Bru'n water will give for a given water profile. I'll admit though that Ive only compared the two softwares ONCE for a NEIPA.

@Iowa Brewer I think your issue is that you matched your distilled water profile to the town of Pilsen's water profile which is located in the Czech Republic. This isn't the same as creating a target profile in Beersmith for the Pilsner beer style you want. Admittedly, this has irked me about beer smith as it has preloaded water profiles for different locations/cities/towns AND desired water profiles for beer styles.

If you want to use Palmer and Kaminski's water profile for your pilsner, in beer smith you will need to create a custom pilsner water profile first. Then you will need to "match" your distilled water as the base water profile to your newly custom profile. This should give you MUCH better results. I do this myself all the time - create a custom profile I want for a specified beer style and then use it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much, Noob_Brewer. This is a huge help!

Thanks for the comments all. Does the following seem reasonable for a pils using only German Pilsner and Saaz hops, built from distilled water?

Calcium: 50.1 ppm
Magnesium: 5.2 ppm
Sodium: 0 ppm
Sulfate: 59.9 ppm
Chloride: 59.7 ppm
Bicarbonate: 0 ppm

Thanks for the comments all. Does the following seem reasonable for a pils using only German Pilsner and Saaz hops, built from distilled water?

Yes this water profile is reasonable. If you want some more crispness and assertive bitterness, drop you chloride by 10-20ppm and up your sulfate by 20 ppm. Also targeting a ph to 5.2-5.3 for a Pilsner benefits a lite beer and will also make for a smoother bitterness

The only thing unreasonable about it is the precision. Fractional ppm is not useful data :)

Yes this water profile is reasonable. If you want some more crispness and assertive bitterness, drop you chloride by 10-20ppm and up your sulfate by 20 ppm. Also targeting a ph to 5.2-5.3 for a Pilsner benefits a lite beer and will also make for a smoother bitterness
Cheers, Dgallo!

Back