Help with a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemman14

Reaction score
I found a recipe for a stout that has the following extract bill
6lbs dark malt extract, 2 lbs amber dry malt extract
Is the 6lbs of dark extract dry or liquid?

the it calls for 2 oz of chinook at 60 and a half ounce of cascade at 30 and 10. That leads me to believe it should be dry malt extract.

Well that's quite a hoppy beer, and very light in color for a stout. I wouldn't really call it a stout. Unless there's more stuff in there you didn't mention.

I would probably find a different recipe, but if I were hellbent on brewing that one, I guess I'd use dry extract to get the malt up that much more to back up all those hops.

Ah, okay, that's sounding more like a stout now.

To answer your question, your SG will be about 1.072 if you use dry dark malt extract; 1.063 if you use liquid dark malt extract. I'd go with the dry extract.

Be sure you pitch enough yeast in that. That's about a 2.5 liter starter, or 2.5 dry yeast packs.

Ah, okay, that's sounding more like a stout now.

To answer your question, your SG will be about 1.072 if you use dry dark malt extract; 1.063 if you use liquid dark malt extract. I'd go with the dry extract.

Be sure you pitch enough yeast in that. That's about a 2.5 liter starter, or 2.5 dry yeast packs.

hmm, never made a starter before. might just go with the 2.5 packets of yeast

I would look around here for a recipe. Try to stay with the light extracts and get your color/flavor from the steeping grains

I'd say go for it, and take lots of notes.

If you love what you made, then I'd take the above (sorry, poster, I forgot who you are) advice regarding using more grains for the colour and less dry/liquid ME. I would also recommend to get good with the Partial Grain, and then start with light AG recipes, but that is beyond what you're asking :)

The notes are so that you can figure out what you did that you liked, and what you did that you were not so fond of. Every recipe that I have made has something I didn't like so much, and at least I can change the not so nice things.

I'd say go for it, and take lots of notes.

If you love what you made, then I'd take the above (sorry, poster, I forgot who you are) advice regarding using more grains for the colour and less dry/liquid ME. I would also recommend to get good with the Partial Grain, and then start with light AG recipes, but that is beyond what you're asking :)

The notes are so that you can figure out what you did that you liked, and what you did that you were not so fond of. Every recipe that I have made has something I didn't like so much, and at least I can change the not so nice things.

yeah, i'm starting to discover that there aren't that many extract recipies

yeah, i'm starting to discover that there aren't that many extract recipies

There are plenty of extract recipes. Have you looked under the Recipe section?

Try searching in the recipe section with the words extract. You should find a bunch.

Remember any recipe can be turned into an extract recipe. You just need to use a converter(forgot where it is exactly).

I would look around here for a recipe. Try to stay with the light extracts and get your color/flavor from the steeping grains

I second that. Get your fermentables from the lightest extract you can, and let specialty grains give you the color/flavor. You'll have a much better brew.

I second that. Get your fermentables from the lightest extract you can, and let specialty grains give you the color/flavor. You'll have a much better brew.
so should I just go with 8 lbs of light extract and keep the grain bill the same?

bump, would like some help as I would like to brew this by Friday as it has to be in bottles by the 27th of August because I'm moving.

Most people (at least shop owners) don't say liquid malt extract they just say malt extract. If it is dry they will say dry. The default is liquid unless it says dry.

Either make a starter or use two 5-gram packs of dry yeast (rehydrate it).

Check out this yeast pitching calculator.
that says I will need 3.5 liters of starter, that seems like alot.
I was planning on getting a 1 liter flask at the home brew shop tomorrow when I picked up my ingredients
also, what would be a good yeast for this beer? The recipe calls for an irish ale yeast

Latest posts

Back