Help? What do you think will happen...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaGoalie

Reaction score
Brewed a tripel last night that I was very, very excited about. I had 1lb of Belgian candy sugar to add at flameout, however....

I drank an entire growler of Karl Strauss Off The Rails, so I wasn't on top of my game by the end of the boil, I flipping forgot to add the sugar. SO, while the boil was cooling, I boiled 2 cups of water, added the sugar, dissolved it, boiled for another minute, then cooled it to pitching temp.

When my boil was cooled, I poured it in the fermenter and added the cooled sugar water. :(

Then I pitched the yeast and this morning it's rocking.

So - how do you think this will impact the end result? I've reached a point in my brewing 'career' where I know that what will happen will happen, so I'm not stressing, but looking for advice from my fellow brewing brothers and sisters....

Thanks in advance :mug:

I would have just paused the cooling and added it. Even if the wort was already cooled beyond the pasteurization point I don't think you have to worry about sanitation issues with pure sugar. What you did shouldn't have any effect though other than adding 2 cups of volume to your batch which should be minimal effect on gravity. Lots of folks add it that way directly to the fermenter part way through fermentation.

You will be fine. Often brewers even add sugar a few days after fermentation starts. The yeast will find it a consume it whenever you add it.

Back