HELP! something is attacking my Columbus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHUM_

Reaction score
Pics are from this morning - they were not like this yesterday.

Columbus, 1st year.

Did not find any bugs....but clearly something started chewing and pooping on my plants (there are holes in several of the main leaves not shown)

And I am not sure why the more mature hops are turning brownish...

3 other hop plants are currently unaffected.

advice???

Photo1.jpg

Photo2.jpg

Photo3.jpg

We had a problem with some of our ornamental shrubs being eaten at night. By day there was no sign of any bugs at all. I went out at 3 in the morning and found these little caterpillars munching away. We weren't going to eat the shrubs so using insecticide wasn't a problem, but for hops you might want to go with an alternative solution. Main point of my post was to say you might have a nocturnal pest and that's why you don't see anything during the day.

We had a problem with some of our ornamental shrubs being eaten at night. By day there was no sign of any bugs at all. I went out at 3 in the morning and found these little caterpillars munching away. We weren't going to eat the shrubs so using insecticide wasn't a problem, but for hops you might want to go with an alternative solution. Main point of my post was to say you might have a nocturnal pest and that's why you don't see anything during the day.

This, i have a lot of snails where im at and at night they can try to get on my hops.

Last year i lost quite a few blueberries due to the stupid things.

Some generic snail killer pellets worked great around the bush.
Came out the next day and it literally looked like a snail graveyard...probably 10 empty shells scattered all around the bush.

SUCCESS!:mug:

Safer brand 3 in 1 works well for mildews, mites, and other pests and is organic. They sell premixed spray bottles at Lowes by me.

Safer brand 3 in 1 works well for mildews, mites, and other pests and is organic. They sell premixed spray bottles at Lowes by me.

OK to spray the hop cones?

do I rinse them when harvesting?

I only inquire as I want to avoid poisoning myself with beer ;)

It is organic so I would not be too concerned. I sprayed it on my cones to prevent them from getting the fungus that was on some of my lower leaves. I plan to rinse them off well a couple days before I harvest.

I believe I have used the same brand of organic insecticide. It's basically a surfactant (soap) mixed with water. I sprayed my entire plants last year, once every 2-3 weeks. I soaked the leaves and the cones. I harvested the cones about 6 weeks after I started spraying. There was never an issue.

I think that the label even states that you can spray your plants (tomatoes, strawberries...etc) up to 24 hours prior to harvest. I gave mine a solid week and and good dosing with the water hose before I plucked them.

Like the previous statements said, go for the Safer stuff. It works.
http://www.saferbrand.com/store/garden-care/5462

Back