Help regarding hop residue for NEPIA style (Taste like hop tea)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumleJens

Reaction score
Hello! I have brewed maybe 20 batches total but recently gotting into the hop heavy NEIPA style.

My first try was a 12 litres batch where i used 320g hops (dry hop included), only 50g at flameout and rest below 70C. I double dryhopped, half at high krausen for bio transformation and rest for 3 days, did a secondary fermentor.

So IBU was low, but the finished product were extreeemly hazy, it was greenish in colour and it tasted "bitter", not like high IBU, but like hop tea. Exactly like when you take 10 grams of hop and let them sit in a cold glass of water for an hour. So it had an amazing smell, but it was to "bitter".

Now i have made a new one, and i tasted the wort before starting fermentation, the same taste is there, like there is a butload of hop residue. This time i "only" had 110g during the boil (But this seems to be average for the beer style)

I have not been using hop bags. But i have a bazooka which filters out maybe 2/3 of the hop residue. But still, there is alot of residue going through when i use such hop amounts. Is this a problem would you say? Should i just use hop bags for everything?

For my first batch i did not cold crash, will cold crashing help clear it up`? Could it be any other problem then too much hop residue? I thought the yeast would clear it up enough anyway. Never had a problem not using hop bags with lesser hopped beers.

Other suggestions to clear the beer and reduce hop residue in the finished product?

Thanks in before :) Best regards.

So for 12 liters (3.2 gallons), you used 320g (11.3oz) of hops? That's an incredible amount of hops. I also brew 3 gallon batches and the most I ever used was 8oz (227g), 4 of which was DH.

Could be hop burn if you're tasting it too soon. That amount of hops needs to mellow out. As far as the haze goes, depends on your grain bill as well as the hops and amount added. The haze will most likely remain for up to a month and could last even longer.

Yes Sir, i used 320 grams for 12 litres, i thought "There can be no such things as too much hops". But i realized it could. But i have looked at several award winning NEIPAS that have been using 300g for a 18L batch. So 200g for a 12L should not be too much? Or is the problem simply Hop burn from to much hops? XD I googled hop burn and it definately sounds like it.

My malt Bill was 2kg Maris Otter and 2KG american pale +0.3kg wheat and 0.5kg oats.

I typically cool wort to around 180°F before starting the whirlpool. I know other brewers will do even lower temps. At flameout, you’ll still be getting quite a lot of bitterness from 50g of hops (depending on the alpha acids in the hops and how quickly you get it down to 70°C).

I would not cold crash a NEIPA unless you have a way of preventing oxygen incursion.

I don’t think the amount of hops you’re using is a problem, but I might think about the schedule, as mentioned. I typically use 14-18 oz for a 5 gallon batch.

I used 12.75 ounces of hops total in my Neipa. That is for a 5 gallon . I did whirlpool hops @175* f. This beer is straight up juice bomb. I'm hoping it calms down a bit once I carb it because it dang near taste like grapefruit juice .

Back