Help needed: Please recommend a really special all grain recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProfessorWoland

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm making the transition from kits to all grain into the next month or so (via partials) and will also be an uncle in the next couple of months.

(Hopefully my brother isn't reading this forum.)

Can you recommend a recipe for a really good all grain beer in I can make in a two-three months and have bottled for a year to celebrate the baby's first birthday with?

A big and tasty beer would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If it's for drinking in over a year, I'd suggest something that ages well like a wee heavy. But if it's for summer drinking, that may not be so great. What about something like a Belgian tripel? They are remarkably drinkable, fruity, and they age very well.

If it's one of your first all grains, I would not suggest a belgian recipe, although they tend to be more forgiving about fermentation temps I believe?

I would say a big dark ale, RIS or imperial stout, or wee heavy. Stouts seem to be very forgiving imo.

Something special that I can't screw up too easily and to be drank around August next year.

I'm scared of Russian Imperial Stouts after seeing the mess the can make on YouTube when fermenting!

I have two Coopers buckets (the ones without airlocks), so could do a smaller batch or split between two buckets.

Since it will be drank during the summertimes, would recommend a nice pale ale with a complex malt background that will keep it interesting as the hop aromas/ flavors fade some towards the end. Base 2-row with a pound of specialty grain or two like Munich, Vienna, Victory, and a bit of mid range crystal (40-60 or so) paired with your favorite hops would be nice :D

If it's one of your first all grains, I would not suggest a belgian recipe, although they tend to be more forgiving about fermentation temps I believe?

I would say a big dark ale, RIS or imperial stout, or wee heavy. Stouts seem to be very forgiving imo.

Why wouldn't you recommend a belgian recipe? Just curious.

OP, I think every day is stout drinking day so I would do a stout. But for August many may not want a heavy beer. A wee heavy could be good or a belgian quad. Don't fear blow off, just use a blow off tube.

Why wouldn't you recommend a belgian recipe? Just curious.

OP, I think every day is stout drinking day so I would do a stout. But for August many may not want a heavy beer. A wee heavy could be good or a belgian quad. Don't fear blow off, just use a blow off tube.

I have this style of fermentor so no where to fit a blow off tube (good bit of head space though.)

A Belgium could be a good idea.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400010496.926829.jpg

So has anyone got a recipe for a Belgian Tripel my n00bish disregard for temperature control won't utterly destroy?

Back